DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controller Charging Question

AIredale1

Reactions
I have a concern and a question regarding the charging process of this type of controller. I have read that some folks have damaged the female charging port on the controller by inserting the male part incorrectly. So, could you please clarify the correct procedure? When I get my Mini next week I want to mark the male end so that I will always know which side needs to be up. I hope that my question makes sense to you and I hope you can clarify the correct way to do it; preferably with an image.

On the remotes that are susceptible to damage of the side port, the port is a less commonly, but still a standard micro-A port. That seems to be compatible with micro-B plug if you're careful.

The question is, which I share, is if they used a micro-B socket rather than A. If so, there's less risk of damage. It requires custom cables to connect a B device to a B device. Electrically, that's what an OTG adapter does.

I have a concern and a question regarding the charging process of this type of controller. I have read that some folks have damaged the female charging port on the controller by inserting the male part incorrectly. So, could you please clarify the correct procedure? When I get my Mini next week I want to mark the male end so that I will always know which side needs to be up. I hope that my question makes sense to you and I hope you can clarify the correct way to do it; preferably with an image.
@Alredale1 ..... Look into the port on the controller. You’ll notice the contacts tab is much closer to one side of the controller. Then look into the plug on the cord. You will noitice the same thing. Orient the plug on the cord so that it is opposite of the controller. Don’t use force to plug it in... finess is the key.

One recommendation I saw posted one time was to use a magnetic cable for the side port and leave the small adapter always plugged into the controller. Use this port only to charge the controller (so you never have to remove the small part). Then connect your phone or tablet using the bottom USB connector. Works like a charm for me and I do not have to worry about breaking the side controller port each time I use the controller.

Here is the cable I used from Amazon. There are other ones as well.
Magnetic Phone Charger Cable, GARAS 3 in 1 Nylon Braided USB Fast Charging & Data Syncing Cord with LED Light Compatible with Mirco USB, Type C Smartphone and iProduct(3.9 ft-Red)

Reactions: AIredale1
One recommendation I saw posted one time was to use a magnetic cable for the side port and leave the small adapter always plugged into the controller. Use this port only to charge the controller (so you never have to remove the small part). Then connect your phone or tablet using the bottom USB connector. Works like a charm for me and I do not have to worry about breaking the side controller port each time I use the controller.

Here is the cable I used from Amazon. There are other ones as well.
Magnetic Phone Charger Cable, GARAS 3 in 1 Nylon Braided USB Fast Charging & Data Syncing Cord with LED Light Compatible with Mirco USB, Type C Smartphone and iProduct(3.9 ft-Red)
Unfortunately the Mavic Mini doesn't have the bottom USB port, only the side

I noticed in a YouTube video that the Mavic Mini controller now has a tiny diagram next to the port to show you which way up to plug the cable in.
At 8:08 in this video

Reactions: AIredale1
I noticed in a YouTube video that the Mavic Mini controller now has a tiny diagram next to the port to show you which way up to plug the cable in.
At 8:08 in this video

Thank you! Yes, I see the diagram to the right of the input. Thank you so much!

Reactions: Chris Baish
I would like to use a magnetic cable adapter for the port. I know eventually it’ll get worn or broke with the constant plugging in.
What do I buy ?

That probably won't work as there's no full size A port on the bottom to connect your device, unless the OTA or custom micro to micro cables fit the magnetic adapter and the adapter passes through whatever connections needed to enable OTA.

It appears to enable OTA mode, pin 4 on the micro connection (sense/ID) has to be grounded. If the magnetic adapter passes that pin through and you use an OTA cable that grounds that pin, then it will work.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett