DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controller connection problem

hstiver

Reactions
I had my controller with the cord to attach phone stolen from my car for my Mavic 2 Pro. Luckily they missed the drone and rest of gear.

I bought a refurbished controller from eBay but unfortunately it came without the cable connector and I am having a problem finding one locally.

In the documentation, it says the connection can also be made using the USB at the bottom of the controller. I have used a iPhone charging cable and connected USB at Controller and other to iPhone. Is that the right way?

It doesn't recognize to link to the drone. I am not sure where I have gone wrong. I have tried to link using with DJI Go 4 and DJI Fly with no luck.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

The cable needs to be a DATA cable, I do not know if iPhone charging cables also serve as data cables.
One other thing that may or may not be applicable, do iPhone require that you give permission for a data connection to connect to the phone?

Regarding the original cable, a cable from the Mavic Mini and I think the original Mavic will do, at a guess one from any swing-out phone-holder-arm type DJI controller will do.

Reactions: hstiver
Thanks for the quick reply. I will check out if I need another cable.

I ordered a cable that shows as compatible with mini and air2 but it it wouldn't work with Mavic 2. I have ordered one from DJI but it may not be here in time for a planned trip.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will check out if I need another cable.

I ordered a cable that shows as compatible with mini and air2 but it it wouldn't work with Mavic 2. I have ordered one from DJI but it may not be here in time for a planned trip.
that's odd because I've swapped genuine DJI cables between my mini's controller and my m2p controller without a problem, though this is with microUSB using phone but I would be surprised if DJI controller to lightning cables differ. Is the cable genuine DJI?
Try connecting your charger cable between the phone and a computer and check if the computer sees the phone? If the computer sees the phone I am pretty sure it's a data cable.

Do you have an Android phone and the two other controller to phone cables that should have come with the original controller? Micro USB & USB-C connections.

Did you buy the right remote?
A reasonable question but an incorrect DJI controller for a different Go4 drone should still connect to the Go4 app on the phone irrespective of whether or not it is the correct controller for the drone.
The normal controllers for the M2P/Z have either RC1A or RC1B on a label on their back.

I had my controller with the cord to attach phone stolen from my car for my Mavic 2 Pro. Luckily they missed the drone and rest of gear.

I bought a refurbished controller from eBay but unfortunately it came without the cable connector and I am having a problem finding one locally.

In the documentation, it says the connection can also be made using the USB at the bottom of the controller. I have used a iPhone charging cable and connected USB at Controller and other to iPhone. Is that the right way?

It doesn't recognize to link to the drone. I am not sure where I have gone wrong. I have tried to link using with DJI Go 4 and DJI Fly with no luck.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
The Mavic 2 Pro requires the Go4 App.

As others have stated it requires a USB data cable. Some of the cheap Lightning to USB charging cables only charge the phone.

that's odd because I've swapped genuine DJI cables between my mini's controller and my m2p controller without a problem, though this is with microUSB using phone but I would be surprised if DJI controller to lightning cables differ. Is the cable genuine DJI?
Try connecting your charger cable between the phone and a computer and check if the computer sees the phone? If the computer sees the phone I am pretty sure it's a data cable.
The cable I got from Amazon is made by DJI but won't connect to the side of the controller. It is too big.
I have two other cables that came with it which won't connect to an iPhone but I don't have an android phone
A reasonable question but an incorrect DJI controller for a different Go4 drone should still connect to the Go4 app on the phone irrespective of whether or not it is the correct controller for the drone.
The normal controllers for the M2P/Z have either RC1A or RC1B on a label on their back.
It is definitely the right controller and says RC1A. Thanks to both of you for your help. I have wondered if the problem is that the this refurbished controller is still binded to the original owners drone.

actually its best practice to use the standard USB port at the bottom of the RC to connect to your device ,as the side Micro USB port is susceptible to being damaged ,and if this happens then its not possible to charge the RC up

The cable I got from Amazon is made by DJI but won't connect to the side of the controller. It is too big.
I have two other cables that came with it which won't connect to an iPhone but I don't have an android phone

It is definitely the right controller and says RC1A. Thanks to both of you for your help. I have wondered if the problem is that the this refurbished controller is still binded to the original owners drone.
Binding is not applicable to the Mavic 2, it is applicable to only FLY app using drone.
Linking the new controller to the drone for control purposes is a 'walk in the park' and can be dealt with later.... if needed.

ahh I boobed, sorry, I didn't notice you wrote that the cable is for an Air2, in that case the Mini concerned is the Mini 2 and not the Mavic Mini. A cable for those drones will not fit, as you have discovered, the controller plug is USB-C. The side socket on the controller is of a different style, micro USB type A.

Last edited:
actually its best practice to use the standard USB port at the bottom of the RC to connect to your device ,as the side Micro USB port is susceptible to being damaged ,and if this happens then its not possible to charge the RC up
That's a good point. What cable would you use for USB to iPhone? Would the regular iPhone charger cable work?

@hstiver check out the TDW site, i only use their cables on both my MM and MPP and have never had any issues with them, the one for my MPP is 4 years old, and although they are quite expensive ,the old saying you get what you pay for ,applies in this case

If you are referring to the DJI supplied cable that connects a phone to the left side of the controller, I have several that I don‘t need.
Yes that is the one. I've ordered one from DJI, which hopefully won't take too long. Thank you for your message

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji