DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controller lost connection with drone, 5m away.

Simk1n

Reactions
Had some flying with my M2 Zoom today. Burned through one battery first down to 55% without any issues. Flew away maybe 500m and back, and some close-by flying with video.

Then on my second battery, i flew away 1km, and back, no problems until the drone was back home. The drone was hovering maybe 4-5m in the air when it stopped responding to my stick input, and i saw "controller connection lost" or something, and the videofeed on my phone was black.

The drone then started to slowly descending, and it was just inches away from the side of the house, i decided to just grab the drone before it did something out of my control, resulting in some cuts from the propellers.

The difference between now and last time i flew is a new FW (.400) NLD FCC with Boost mode.

What could be the cause? I have also lost connection with my Spark when it was right next to me with similar behaviour, but not yet with my Air.

Last edited:
I'd try going back to the previous FW version and do some more testing.

When grabbing the aircraft grab it from the bottom quickly to stay out of the props . . .

Have flipped over my Spark many times, but it is alot smaller and easier. The Mavic 2 was really fighting, so i sneaked my fingers on top of the drone to shut it off.

I was near my car, could it be a metal interference doing it? The controller just would not re-connect to the drone, but after shutting it down and on again it connected again right away.

I have not done a IMU calibration after the lates FW update.

Not fun to lose connection and staying there without any control at all.

Reactions: ForceMajeure
Immediate action on 'Signal Lost' or 'Disconnected' is to flip to Sport mode and see if the controller now has control, which it usually does even if the app is dead.

If it doesnt, press RTH once for at least 5 secs - if it starts the RTH procedure, great.

If neither of the above work, turn controller off, then immediately back on - it should reconnect immediately (but the app wont until unplugged and replugged)

yes I agree with Gryphone962 flip to sport mode should give you control back but be very cautious when using the RC sticks because they will be a lot more sensitive

So even if the controller loses connection to the drone, switching to Sport mode bring back control?

I tried pushing the pause button on the controller, but that did not help.

if its lost connection than no switching to sports won't bring it back you could try switching the RC off than back on to see if it connects

Yes, i will try that if it happens next time.

Anything that can be done to reduce the chances of remote losing connection to the drone? will interference, metal/magnetic or will WiFi have any impact on the OcuSync?

So even if the controller loses connection to the drone, switching to Sport mode bring back control?

I tried pushing the pause button on the controller, but that did not help.

Often times the Transmitter (aka Controller, Tx) still has a solid connection to the aircraft even though the screen is blank or the screen says something about lost connection. Remember the connection from the Transmitter to the Aircraft is the most basic and solid of the whole chain of connections. It's usually the last thing to actually go.

You always try an emergency procedure (switching mode, RTH etc) then resort to manual (grabbing the aircraft from the underside and quickly rolling it onto it's back).

If it has truly lost connect between the aircraft the the Tx nothing you do will help other than trying to powerdown and restart the Tx.

In addition to the procedures mentioned here, I would contact DJI Support to see what they may add. Also, document the exchange you make with DJI to create the beginning of a paper trail (in the event this happens again and your drone gets damaged).

If you post the logs, folks might be able to tell what happened to the connection or the logs might come up short?

If you post the logs, folks might be able to tell what happened to the connection or the logs might come up short?
The log on the app will just stop at the disconnect. The log on the drone, which you can get via DJI Assistant, might have useful info.

Is it just me, or did anyone see the fact here that the pilot
violated DJI BUILT controller Firmware by using NLD?
Just askin.....

Reactions: Thoraldus
Is it just me, or did anyone see the fact here that the pilot
violated DJI BUILT controller Firmware by using NLD?
Just askin.....
I use the NLD as nothing to do with disconnection if he thinks its NLD than op just needs to refresh firmware

Had some flying with my M2 Zoom today. Burned through one battery first down to 55% without any issues. Flew away maybe 500m and back, and some close-by flying with video.

Then on my second battery, i flew away 1km, and back, no problems until the drone was back home. The drone was hovering maybe 4-5m in the air when it stopped responding to my stick input, and i saw "controller connection lost" or something, and the videofeed on my phone was black.

The drone then started to slowly descending, and it was just inches away from the side of the house, i decided to just grab the drone before it did something out of my control, resulting in some cuts from the propellers.

The difference between now and last time i flew is a new FW (.400) NLD FCC with Boost mode.

What could be the cause? I have also lost connection with my Spark when it was right next to me with similar behaviour, but not yet with my Air.

congratulations. your talents are wasted flying drones. anyone who can see these things at 1km away deserves a medal

Reactions: ajkm and Dronage
Will try some more flying tomorrow before I reflash.

And for the last poster in here who seemed worried that i flew 1km away. It was over fields and not over people, houses or roads.

At my cabin now. Not reflashed or done anything, wanted to try the drone a little more.

First flight went sort of OK, set home point, satellites around 17-19, made it hover for 15-20 seconds. Took it 80-110m up, and maybe 400m distance away, took some pics and RTH. First it was off by some meters at the home point, little strange because it has always been spot on, so i manually had to land it on my helipad due to alot of tall grass here at my cabin. Then when the drone was hovering right above the helipad i got disconnects again, but it connected again fairly quicky.

I took it for a second flight, it went fine, this time RTH was closer but still little off, but no disconnects this time.

Took it inside, had it turned on sitting on the table, both drone and controller ON and it went haywire. Disconnect - connect - disconnect - connect, then i got a new error: remote controller connection error, this went on and off for quite some time, i just sat there watching it connect and disconnect. I have always been using my LG G7, so i decided to try my Galaxy S10+, and the disconnecting error went away. I format my SD card, and decided to wipe all the DJI GO4 data off the LG G7. i connected my G7 again and it seems like the disconnect errors is gone.

Last time i used the G7 flying it was on Android 8, now it is on Android 9.

Could the culprint here actually be my phone? Could all of this remote disconnecting be caused by my phone?

Gonna try flying more tomorrow again, but starting to get worried now with all of this happening.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929