DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controller lost connection

djifish

Reactions
Hi pilots.. today I lost connection with my mav pro it was only about 50 ft above and I couldn't do anything with it.. pretty scary it said something like connection or signal lost. After a bit I think it recconnected and I bought it down..then after a while I got the courage to give it another fly was going ok at around same height as previously until a joystick error come on the controller screen and once again had no control and I think it auto returned to point of take of which was only mtrs away thank god..any advice because I'm a bit put off atm..

The aircraft antennas are in the front legs, so dead above or close to directly above can lead to poor signal.
Maybe try a controller calibration, try taking off and flying out a ways and see if the same issue(s) occur.
Maybe do it somewhere like a local parkland, rather than ocean side.
Ensure RTH settings are best for the test (not crazy high), and to fly out more than needed to have RTH behave normally . . . too close and it will just land, can’t recall how far, refer manual.

With regards to the joystick error, I'd be inclined to try a controller calibration.

It might also be an idea to install a screen capture app on the phone, they are handy for checking out what warnings flash up.
I think you can replay the log of flight in the App possibly including the warnings.

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation and your view of the world You will find plenty of helpful advice in the forums.

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

I too have had similar drop outs - quite a few times. Yes it is scary! Most times, mine simply does RTH.
I will also try the above advice about a controller calibration. Can anyone advise us the procedure!

You wrote that your drone was only 50' away and I do not own your model so it is incumbent on you to do the research on the various modes for Return to Home (RTH) for your Mavic Pro. Some of the modes are "Smart RTH", (your initiated it...)"low Battery", "FailSafe" (Signal Loss), and in "abnormal situations...) (like video loss, etc...). However, there is a distance factor, 20-meters, and you were not outside that "circle of safety..." so if you had not regained signal, your drone might have just hovered until it's battery ran out and then it would have landed, where is, as is… even over water…

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mavic Pro, including the User Manual.

After you read the Manual, read it again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for the next "scary moment…"

Reactions: wjkrysak
If yr going straight up above u the the antenna must be horizontal.
At only 50-feet, antenna directions should not be a factor. Even with my mini 2, I've tested the RTH and Control and signal strength, over some significate distances by turning controller so it was not pointing at my drone... Obviously something went wrong but this short distance was not the single factor...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S