DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

controller not working

Cl1nt71

Reactions
my brother in law tried his first flight of the MA today and took off via the phone app. Once hovering about 4 ft he realized his controller didn't work at all. he was able to land it straight down with his phone. how can he get it corrected so his controller controls the MA and not his phone? is it a setting? thanks in advance

Interesting. This is a bit of a tale, apologies. Maybe related, perhaps not; I'm not savvy enough in these matters to know.

My Air arrived last week and from Sunday till now I've had multiple tries, I think four all told to establish control of it.

Connection was far from easy, initially. But after the usual set up hiccups with updates and so on (I already have a DJI account) and after trying out the simulator without drama I have now, as said above, had four ultra short take-offs and forced-grabs to curtail the process, because the only thing this controller seems able to do is to start the motors and initiate a take off. And killing the motors, that works. Outside the simulator, the right stick has zero function, absolutely nothing. But that's only feeding to the app itself in the phone, not to the aircraft. Which only proves (I suppose?) that the control itself has function. But apparently not able to feed that function to the Air.

The lights that should be green are green when connected, the screen announces it's ready to go (amber - vision) when indoors as expected, but there is zero direction control function after takeoff's been started. The last try I had the phone in place with all other comms turned off in "flight mode" and connected via the shortie cable to the usual side connector.

With the single attempt at outside flight, the pattern was identical although once off the deck it was stable horizontally, as GPS lock was present. If I'd not grabbed the bloody thing it'd have been hovering there till the battery died. I've been bringing my grabhand up from underneath quickly.

I've looked through the menus in search of something obvious, with no result. Except that the channel being used is 5.8ghz - no.153. Since the two devices connive to announce things are ready for take off, I'd thought that essential data was all being fired via this one channel, which seemed odd. The phone's a Galaxy S6.

Another oddity is the RC refuses to connect to DJI Assist, although the drone registers and shows its update history and status. Googling around shows plenty of issues to do with connecting but none I could see were similar to what's going on with mine. I can't see any way around a return. It's sapped my DJI confidence no end.

I guess it's possible I'm guilty of some bonehead oversight, but if so I've been unable to ID it. My other craft is a P4, but I'd claim no expertise with it - even so, have never had a single issue with its behaviour, which has been impeccable so far.

Having same issue here. Controller will not turn on. Ive tried all the suggestions above and no luck. Do I return it at this point? Very frustrating.

Having same issue here. Controller will not turn on. Ive tried all the suggestions above and no luck. Do I return it at this point? Very frustrating.

Are you using the "double press" to turn the power on, you need the press the power button once and almost imediately press it again and hold it until the lights on the controller cycle to the right
It's like a double press with a slight delay

Does the remote charge when you plug the micro usb connector into the side of the remote controller ?
Be careful plugging the micro usb connector in, DJI for some reason DJI have used a usb-micro A port, which is rectangular in shape, this unfortunately lets you plug the usb connector in upside down damaging the usb port tab.
The micro-A is not the usual port used on almost all devices, the tab is in the bottom half of the port and this need to align with the hole in the micro usb connector (see diagram)
Many remote controllers have been rendered useless and can't be repaired by breaking the tab in the micro usb port.

micro usb-a port.JPG

This is odd and makes no sense to me but i saw a video where the guy held the light button down on the MA until 3 beeps were heard.
All of a sudden it recognized my controller.
I was ready to send it back before this tip

That's how you rebind an AC to a particular RC. First enable bind mode on RC, usually through app, then press bind button on AC.

Are you using the "double press" to turn the power on, you need the press the power button once and almost imediately press it again and hold it until the lights on the controller cycle to the right
It's like a double press with a slight delay

Does the remote charge when you plug the micro usb connector into the side of the remote controller ?
Be careful plugging the micro usb connector in, DJI for some reason DJI have used a usb-micro A port, which is rectangular in shape, this unfortunately lets you plug the usb connector in upside down damaging the usb port tab.
The micro-A is not the usual port used on almost all devices, the tab is in the bottom half of the port and this need to align with the hole in the micro usb connector (see diagram)
Many remote controllers have been rendered useless and can't be repaired by breaking the tab in the micro usb port.

View attachment 89559

Thank you for replying

The only time the double press works is when it is plugged in

When I plug in the charger all I see is the first dot flashing, no other dots flash. What does this mean?

I cannot turn the controller on without the cable plugged in.

Please advise, I have not yet been able to use this drone and I have had it for months.

Thank you
A

Reactions: Steen M
Thank you for replying

The only time the double press works is when it is plugged in

When I plug in the charger all I see is the first dot flashing, no other dots flash. What does this mean?

I cannot turn the controller on without the cable plugged in.

Please advise, I have not yet been able to use this drone and I have had it for months.

Thank you
A

Does the remote control charge ? I would charge it fully (4 dots lit)

Does the remote control charge ? I would charge it fully (4 dots lit)

The controller will not turn on unless it is plugged into the charger, and even then, all I see is one white dot flashing, just one. I left it charging thinking it would charge but only one white dot is seen. I used the 'double press' action and can only do this when it is plugged in.

When i unplug the controller, i cannot turn it on no matter how many different combinations of presses i use

The controller will not turn on unless it is plugged into the charger, and even then, all I see is one white dot flashing, just one. I left it charging thinking it would charge but only one white dot is seen. I used the 'double press' action and can only do this when it is plugged in.

When i unplug the controller, i cannot turn it on no matter how many different combinations of presses i use

Try another USB cable, also check the micro-a usb port on the controller for a broken tab/damage
Maybe your charger has developed a fault, try another usb charger

I plugged the usb into a different charging outlet and same issue occurs.

At this point, I have decided to begrudgingly send the controller and the charging cable back for repair, and will probably face a charge because of this. Not the greatest feeling! I hope I can finally get to enjoy this drone soon.

Thanks for your input

I imagine you kept it on the charger for at least a couple of hours, so I hate to break the news, but that controller died and was reincarnated as a paperweight. ?

Reactions: DocLat23
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett