DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controller Terminology and Compatibility Level Setting.

z28lt1

Reactions
There are a lot of posts on controller compatibility and a lot of confusing “names” being used for DJI’s newest controller. I thought I’d throw this out there related to the Mini 3 and other recent consumer version drones to get everyone on the same page.

All of this is likely to change within the next few weeks/months, but as of today (May, 18 2022) I believe this to be an accurate list of controllers for the recent consumer drones.

RC-N1 (Part# RC231) - This is the current standard/base (no screen) RC that comes with the recent Occusync 2 and O3 drones. Early versions had white LEDs and said “tripod” for the slow mode and newer versions have green lights and say “Cine”. DJI considers these the same remote. This remote is compatible with the Air 2, Air 2S, Mini 2, Mini 3 Pro, Mavic 3 at this moment and is likely to be compatible with upcoming drones as well.

DJI-RC(RM33) – This is the new controller with screen that was released with the Mini 3. Note, there is no “Smart” or “Pro” in the name at all – because at this point it isn’t. It simply runs the Fly App and until hacked or changed by DJI, noting else. At this moment it is ONLY compatible with the Mini 3 Pro. DJI has stated that it will be compatible with additional drones in the future. It is unknown which ones those will be. I would guess it would become compatible with at least the Mavic 3 and future drones as well, but we’ll wait on DJI.

Smart Controller (RM500) – The original version of the 5.5 inch “bright” built in screen remote Compatible with Mini 2, Air 2S, Air 2, Mavic 2 Zoom, Mavic 2 Pro, Mavic 2 Enterprise Series, Mavic 2 Enterprise Advanced, and Phantom 4 Pro V2.0. DJI is now claiming it is no longer manufactured, so I would not expect compatibility with the most recent (Mavic 3, Mini 3 Pro) or yet to be released drones, but they haven’t stated that outright.

RC Pro (RM510) – The follow-up to the Smart Controller, it is very similar in design but has upgraded processors, GPU, memory/storage and antennas. In FCC mode, it is rated at higher output than the other remotes which may translate to extended range. At this juncture it is only compatible with the Air 2S and Mavic 3. It seems likely it will be made compatible with future drones (Air 3 anyone?). DJI has not specifically said it would be compatible with the Mini 3 Pro. My guess is it will be in the next several months, but there is no firm statement of that from anyone who would know for sure.

Edit - one other thing to note is that the RC-N1 and Smart Controller both work with drones that are Occusync 2 and O3 and both were released before O3 was, so DJI is using software to make these compatible. Do not use the version of occusync between 2 and 3 as a differentiator on what will or will not be compatible. They all COULD be.

Feel free to propose corrections and such, but hopefully we can keep terminology aligned. I see a lot of posts references the DJI RC as “Mini 3 RC Pro” or “Mini 3 Smart Controller” so it makes it hard to know exactly what is referenced. Happy flying everyone!

Thank you for this. With the release of the Mini 3 in August that doesn't come with a controller, I think we can deduce that's when the RC Pro will have an upgrade. Why else would they sell that drone without a controller? I'll wait.

Thank you for this. With the release of the Mini 3 in August that doesn't come with a controller, I think we can deduce that's when the RC Pro will have an upgrade. Why else would they sell that drone without a controller? I'll wait.

I do think the RC Pro will be compatible soon. That said, I suspect the driver of offering a package without the remote is probably more the fact that anyone who has a Mini 2, Air 2, Air 2S or Mavic 3 with the standard RC-N1 remote already has the same remote as the "Base" remote. That's probably a lot more people than those with the RC Pro. No reason for each of us to have a bunch of the same RC-N1 ("base") remotes floating around.

True enough. I was thinking I'd just get the base model with the standard controller to have as a slightly more portable option (definitely lighter and less delicate), then I could fly both drones simultaneously. :)

Thanks for the info, Gutted the Smart Controller (RM500) isn't supporting the Mini 3 just yet, but who knows if they might update it, can't see why not as not had the controller that long and didn't seem to be out long before they stopped manufacturing it?

I can't seem to edit the original post anymore. So,

Update: As of July 1, 2022 the DJI RC (RM330) is now also compatible with the Mavic 3.

Dronenerds is posting that the Mini 3 without controller will be available July 31st. Hopefully the controller update will follow shortly. That Mini 3 is worthless to me without a live out...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000