DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controller Tether Options (a little tip)

RTKD

Reactions
People know this I’m sure, but I was thrilled to discover it today.

On the bottom of the Mavic Pro controller there’s a regular USB port. You can use your regular phone charging cord to pair with the Mavic if your little tether cord to the side is lost or broken, and it could save you in a pinch. (Imagine losing your tether on vacation!) Or if you have a USB C device (maybe they ship with a USB C tether now, but mine is a year old and it didn't)

Are you getting intermittent breakup on your image when you’re flying your Mavic? I was, and it was the cord between the controller and the phone wiggling ever so slighly during operation. Using my phone charging cable to the bottom cleared it right up, and proved (thank GOD) that it wasn’t my hardware going screwy, just a simple cord.

It’s an answer to a question nobody asked, but I hope it helps someone, someday.

Reactions: davemorts
Another bonus is that the USB port is far less fragile than the Micro USB port on the left side of the remote controller. And if you damage the Micro USB port, there is no way to charge the remote controller.

I posted this elsewhere - I got a 90 degree cable - both ends - one usb and the other plugs into the ipad - and now I can place my iPad Mini 2 in place of a phone - the 90 degree going into the ipad allows me to hold the ipad and control the drone without the straight cable getting in the way - it was $3.50 on aliexpress - it's top notch quality cable too - a couple times a year I blow out the usb spot on the controller and the spot on the ipad with compressed air - it's crazy how much stuff that is really small can get into those spots - over time it builds up - get a magnifying glass and look in - you will be surprised I was getting loss of signal from controller to ipad from time to time - this resolved it - the reason I know it was to my ipad only is my telemetry data was still showing up on the controller screen

Reactions: Rich55
People know this I’m sure, but I was thrilled to discover it today.

On the bottom of the Mavic Pro controller there’s a regular USB port. You can use your regular phone charging cord to pair with the Mavic if your little tether cord to the side is lost or broken, and it could save you in a pinch. (Imagine losing your tether on vacation!) Or if you have a USB C device (maybe they ship with a USB C tether now, but mine is a year old and it didn't)

Are you getting intermittent breakup on your image when you’re flying your Mavic? I was, and it was the cord between the controller and the phone wiggling ever so slighly during operation. Using my phone charging cable to the bottom cleared it right up, and proved (thank GOD) that it wasn’t my hardware going screwy, just a simple cord.

It’s an answer to a question nobody asked, but I hope it helps someone, someday.
Having a mavic platinum and a spark drone the otg cables are a must I use them with my android and I pad. Better range and signal.

only ever used that silly little ribbon cable once. AC now wears a magnetic tip charger plug in the micro USB port it never sees any insertion cycles.

Caspian, where did you get the magnetic tips from?

Caspian, where did you get the magnetic tips from?

eBay. you want the ones that look like this; note the oval shaped tip:
Code:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/162821605148

don't get the ones with the round flange on the tips like this, the flange may not fit in the recess on the side of the RC:
Code:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/382583961235

same with the 90° versions, they may or may not clear. note the cables above are not the ones I used personally, just an illustration of the tip styles. mine were bought locally in my country. for charging purposes only I doubt it much matters what brand you get though.

I have them in both my MP and Spark controllers, they stay there permanently. the magnets are very strong, if you straight-pull the cable you will withdraw the plug from the socket. you need to "break" the connection off sideways to disconnect it.

[edit] stupid forum software kept parsing the URLs

Last edited:
Reactions: Skymaster57
only ever used that silly little ribbon cable once. AC now wears a magnetic tip charger plug in the micro USB port it never sees any insertion cycles.
This is a GREAT tip, I was going to post this tip until I saw @caspian 's post?

For those who want to use Amazon, here is a shotgun search for "magnetic tip USB". Sort out your needs. With a little planning you can get a cable with different tips (micro USB, IOS and Type "C" and use one cable if charging needs allow. Especially the RC's, put the tip in and leave it.

Here's a short You Tube video that refers to how to use the magnetic tips. You can buy a magnetic micro USB for the controller and when not charging, leave the tip of the cable in the controller. Than use the regular USB to plug in your phone or tablet.

Reactions: Old Aviator
Another bonus is that the USB port is far less fragile than the Micro USB port on the left side of the remote controller. And if you damage the Micro USB port, there is no way to charge the remote controller.
Exactly.

Sent mine off for repair, came back and lasted one day... I have used USB ports for years on my phones, never had one break... These controllers are poorly made... And why don't they just have a USB C port....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU