DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controller vs IPad

JayTea26

Reactions
I almost just purchased an iPad mini for my MA2.

Is the difference in price really worth it?

Saw my MA2 now works with other controller.

I'm a bit confused Jay. The iPad Mini would work in conjunction with the standard controller just as an iOS or Android phone would. What are you comparing in regard to "price difference"?

It depends what you value the most screen size or screen brightness

The Ipad Mini has an 8in screen vs the Smart Controllers 5.5in

The Smart Controller has 1000 nits of brightness while the Ipad Mini has between 400 and 500 nits depending on the model

I personally prefer a larger screen

The morning DJI announced compatibility of the MA2 with the Smart Controller, I ordered one.
The screen's brightness, contrast, color and high definition are excellent. It uses DJI Fly, so the App is the same.

It has more control buttons and dials, a couple of which are not used. They are used for the MP2 to control the camera settings. The time from turning it on to being ready to fly is about 30 seconds. No phone to mount, connect, & select the App. With the MA2 controller, you have to switch the camera between photos & video. With the SC, there's one button for video & one for photos, so there's no need to switch between to two.

The SC has 16gb of internal storage, but also a Memory Card slot. I have a 256gb in the drone and 128gb in the SC. Just like a phone or iPad, the photos & video can be downloaded to the SC. The SC can record the screen with sound. It also has an HDMI port which can be used to connect DJI Goggles, a TV or a Display.

I have more confidence with the SC at longer distances. I've only had it out 1,600 ft so far, but no warnings about lost signal like I'd get sometimes with the standard controller around 1,400 ft.

Last edited:
Reactions: Squidinc
i'm really struggling to know what to do, i'm currently using an ipad air
on my MA2 and i really like the screen size but in most lighting conditions
even with sunshades and a anti glare screen cover i'm really struggling to
see the screen properly, it's really annoying. Now the SC is updated for the
MA2 things have changed. So the decision is nice big screen you can
hardly see or a smaller screen thats easy to see. ????
Whats the opinion of SC users please.

Just today i stumbled across a youtubers vid about using a 2200 nit field monitor with 7" screen connected by HDMI lead to a dji SC for being able to see what the camera can see even in bright sunshine. Look for LifThor. I already have a Feelworld fw279 with battery pack with the suitable hdmi cable and smallrig mounting case that can be used connected to my DSLR for daylight viewing so i took the plunge today and ordered a dji smart controller. I will probably still need a monitor mouting bracket and lanyard yet. At 66 i am a newbie and have been really struggling to see the phone screen outside due to reflections, being a varifocal spectacles user doesn't help any. The added bonus for me is that i have both a MM and a MA2 which both can now be flown by the SC.

i'm really struggling to know what to do, i'm currently using an ipad air
on my MA2 and i really like the screen size but in most lighting conditions
even with sunshades and a anti glare screen cover i'm really struggling to
see the screen properly, it's really annoying. Now the SC is updated for the
MA2 things have changed. So the decision is nice big screen you can
hardly see or a smaller screen thats easy to see. ????
Whats the opinion of SC users please.

The challenge is, even though the SC screen is very bright, it's small at 5.5in so things like small text are still a bit difficult to see.
I have a Crystal Sky UB 7.85in which is perfect in sunlight, but it's not compatible with any on the newer DJI drones as it only has a 32bit architecture.

The best, but most cumbersome solution would be a large Feelworld 2200nits HDMI monitor on a tripod connected to the SC via a long HDMI cable.

Just today i stumbled across a youtubers vid about using a 2200 nit field monitor with 7" screen connected by HDMI lead to a dji SC for being able to see what the camera can see even in bright sunshine. Look for LifThor. I already have a Feelworld fw279 with battery pack with the suitable hdmi cable and smallrig mounting case that can be used connected to my DSLR for daylight viewing so i took the plunge today and ordered a dji smart controller. I will probably still need a monitor mouting bracket and lanyard yet. At 66 i am a newbie and have been really struggling to see the phone screen outside due to reflections, being a varifocal spectacles user doesn't help any. The added bonus for me is that i have both a MM and a MA2 which both can now be flown by the SC.
That just what I do, but with Andycine version of the feelworld monitor. Rather than plug into the SC I use a Vaxis atom wireless sender. Works great, you can choose if you have the hdmi out put as camera view or controller mirror view.

Makes flying in full sun a pleaser .

I like mine and the cover I made for it.
IMG_20200714_074432.jpgIMG_20200714_074420.jpg

Reactions: JayTea26
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian