DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controller won't turn on. What am I doing wrong?

DSGDSG

Reactions
Alright. My mavic was delivered Saturday. All my accessories have arrived so I began getting ready. Charged all my batteries including the controller which is at 100% it says. So I connect everything up, skyreat holder, ipad 4 mini, antennae extended. Drone arms and props extended. I hit power on the controller, bat 100 PCT. I hold power button on the controller. Nothing. The battery status shows up, disappears and the controller doesn't turn on. I hold it for more than a minute. Nothing. My controller doesn't turn on.

Someone please tell me what I am doing wrong.

Thank you.

Press the power button, release it, press and hold it until the remote controller powers on.

Just did that 4 times. Nothing. 5th time, turned on. Is something wrong here?

You will have to do the same thing in order to turn on the mavic
And it just takes a little practice

If only they said anything about that in the manual!

Turning the Remote Controller On and Off
The Mavic Pro remote controller is powered by a 2S rechargeable battery that has a capacity of
2970 mAh. Follow the steps below to turn on your remote controller:
1. When the remote controller is turned off, press the Power Button once. The LCD Screen will display the
current battery level.
2. Press once, then again and hold the Power Button to turn on the remote controller.
3. The remote controller will beep when it is turned on.
4. Repeat Step 2 to turn off the remote controller.

:::rolleyes::: Right. The manual. If only I had one online to read and a physical one in my hand to reference as well. Oh wait! I do. And it still wouldn't work. Listen, I appreciate the help, but if it can't be done without a condescending manner that presumes I'm a flaming moron, then I'd prefer you just keep quiet. I don't think that's too unreasonable a request.

As it stands, following the MANUAL'S instructions, my remote actually powers up on average one in every 8 attempts.

Just did that 4 times. Nothing. 5th time, turned on. Is something wrong here?
You are either performing that sequence too slow, too quickly, or you're releasing the power button the second time before the remote controller powers on.

Reactions: geigy
I had the same problem initially but finally got the sequence down pat now. As they have mentioned, it is a matter of timing.

Reactions: Deebz
It comes down to finger technique. Once you work it out is simple.
Press release then quickly press and hold until it fires up. If you don't get it the first time just wait until the controller resets, doing it too quick after a failure won't work.
Took me a few goes to get it right but now is a habit.

I had the same problem initially but finally got the sequence down pat now. As they have mentioned, it is a matter of timing.

and turning the controller off is also a bit of a trip.. same deal..press once to let the screen go dark then press again until it says shutting down.

Same here, then I found out it's an art and I wasn't holding my mouth right!

You do the Micheal Jordan tongue? That's my approach. Flawless thus far.[emoji6]

Listen, I appreciate the help, but if it can't be done without a condescending manner that presumes I'm a flaming moron, then I'd prefer you just keep quiet. I don't think that's too unreasonable a request.

It really seemed like everyone treated you quite kindly and gave you really accurate answers. Much nicer than I typically see on forums. I think the "Flaming moron" presumption may possibly be coming from a frustrated inner voice...mine sometimes shout quite loudly at me...

First DJI I got, I could not get it to come on, even thought the P/O showed me how! I thought he'd ripped me off!

It reminds me of the old joke:
Q: How do I start my Mavic, I pushed the button twice.
A: Slow Down!

OOOKKKAAAYY, HHHHOOOWWW DDDDOOOO IIIIIIII SSSTTTAAARRRTTT MMMYYY MMMAAAVVVIIICCC?

A: Slow Down!

HHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW DDDDDDDDDOOOOOOOOO IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII' SSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTT............etc...

Even though you have probably got it down by now...

To Start all my DJI products, I do this:

1) press the on button and hold for 2 seconds
2) release the button
3) immediately press and hold the button until you hear the DJI tones. Remote and drone both work this way.

Reactions: Soundtekk
Yeah, some posts were deleted either by mods or the authors I had directed my comment to.

Yeah, some posts were deleted either by mods or the authors I had directed my comment to.
To get the speed down, essentially double tap and hold. Tap the button quickly the first time, and the hold the button down the second time until connecting shows on the screen.

Sorry to hear that, it's tough getting started without getting slammed. See now that you found your Mavic is not right? Tough start, hope it gets fun for you soon!

"double press and hold" would be a better description than "press and hold" - I had exactly the same problem coming to a DJI after being in the pixhawk world where "press and hold" was one movement down, holding it in that down position, then releasing after a certain number of second.

IMO it's like a double click on a mouse, and on the second click, you hold down for a couple of seconds instead of releasing it straight away.

I'm limited on time...try the 4 button reset on the controller, Google how to do it

As a frustrated first time user, I just came to this forum with the same issue.

Excellent description "double click and hold down on the second click." Thank you quick_dry!

It seems designers these days have never read Don Norman's book "The Design of Everyday Things." The concepts of Affordances and Signifiers along with basic "discoverability" in designing the human interface would make our lives much easier as well as allow us users to better describe to the designer why the lack of such in their product is why it isn't selling or is frustrating to use.

It seems designers these days have never read Don Norman's book "The Design of Everyday Things." The concepts of Affordances and Signifiers along with basic "discoverability" in designing the human interface would make our lives much easier as well as allow us users to better describe to the designer why the lack of such in their product is why it isn't selling or is frustrating to use.

I think it's designed that way to keep it from starting accidentally when a button is bumped, by a toddler, etc.

The entire problem comes back to one thing:

Controlers and buttons get smaller and smaller all the time, but my fingers and my motoric skills don't match up with it.
Have a nice weekend!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun