DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Convince me to buy or not buy?

Matt8900

Reactions
So I'm a current owner of a mavic 2 zoom, & a SC. And i had a mavic air but sold it since getting the zoom.

I'm very new to drones, but I absolutely love it. I so far have not had any crashes *touches wood* and i am looking to forward this hobby of mine.

I have seen looked into the air 2 and I am very impressed however, is it worth it?

I am veey close to pulling the trigger to buy one but there is a few nicks which is stopping me.

1. My recent purchase of a SC, not being able to use it with the SC , initially may not be an issue with a brand new type of controller but eventually I'm sure it would be annoying.

2. Is there a need for 2 drones? Obviously the air 2 is smaller but its not like the zoom isn't compact. I can easily fit it in my travel bag.
Will I not end up picking one i prefer, and not using the other, rendering one a waste of money sitting there?

4. Sideways/upwards sensors. How much of an issue is this really? I feel I have very rarely used this on my zoom, but its nice to know its there for active track etc.

Help me make the decision!!

Reactions: Marv McCarthy
i am in a similar position to you ,although i do have 2 DJI drones at the moment a MPP and a MM i was very excited by the prospect of another drone ,but for once i resisted the purchase
my main reasons were as follows
(1) the changes to flying rules coming at the end of the year
(2) i just could not justify buying another drone at the moment ,i would then have 3 i couldn't fly during lockdown
(3) and another reason is the fact that with every new drone that comes out there are always teething troubles that dont come to light until the first wave of purchasers start to fly them
(4) if you feel that the MA2 fills your needs,then really the decision is purely yours to make ,everyone's reasons for to buy or not to buy,are going to be different

Eh I personally wouldn't if you have a zoom. The main selling point IMO is Occusync 2.0 which you already have. You'd be paying for slightly more battery life is all

I have a Zoom, and will replace with the Air 2. For the 4K60, video hdr, 48mp stills, the controller, and better apas and tracking. I realize the apas and tracking could be improved later on the Zoom. I also like being able to get it with three batteries and nd filters for $250 less than the Zoom with just one battery.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
If you have a M2Z then there really is no reason to buy the Air 2.

I had a Zoom 2 and I personally like the Air 2 better just for the size and the tracking.

Now if you didn't have a drone and you were asking which to get then I would recommend the Air 2 over the Zoom.

Honestly, I think a good companion for the Zoom would be a Mavic Mini.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
i am in a similar position to you ,although i do have 2 DJI drones at the moment a MPP and a MM i was very excited by the prospect of another drone ,but for once i resisted the purchase
my main reasons were as follows
(1) the changes to flying rules coming at the end of the year
(2) i just could not justify buying another drone at the moment ,i would then have 3 i couldn't fly during lockdown
(3) and another reason is the fact that with every new drone that comes out there are always teething troubles that dont come to light until the first wave of purchasers start to fly them
(4) if you feel that the MA2 fills your needs,then really the decision is purely yours to make ,everyone's reasons for to buy or not to buy,are going to be different

What changes to flying rules are you referring to?

Reactions: Flyingduck
No gimbal adjustments, Ocusync 1.5, 8k Hyperlapse limited to 6s without individual files, no course lock, Fly app... That stuff
  1. Gimbal Adjustments. Will hopefully be updated in software, but that's a legit issue if it bothers you.
  2. What is Occusync 1.5? I have seen nothing to indicate that the Occusync on the Air 2 is materially different than the Mavic 2 Zoom/Pro. Range test results on Youtube have all been similar, including by people who didn't get the review units.
  3. How does the 8k Hyperlapse feature work on the Mavic Pro Zoom? The 6s delay isn't artificial, that's how long it takes for the hardware to write and process the file. 8k anything on this drone is an experimental mode with many tradeoffs and I'm essentially ignoring it. A much better complaint would be asking for 4k (HDR) Hyperlapses, because that would be awesome and it's realistic with the hardware.
  4. No course lock. Legit issue if it bothers you. I would use it if it was there.
  5. The Fly app is future of DJI consumer drones. You can fight it for now, but it's coming.
If those things, plus the ability to zoom, are worth nearly $600 (w/Fly More on both) to you, more power to you. I don't see the value personally.

What changes to flying rules are you referring to?
the new rules for classification of drones and the distances they will have to keep from people and buildings, go on the CAA web site and you can read up on whats going on

1. Gimbal Adjustments. Will hopefully be updated in software, but that's a legit issue if it bothers you.
  2. What is Occusync 1.5? I have seen nothing to indicate that the Occusync on the Air 2 is materially different than the Mavic 2 Zoom/Pro. Range test results on Youtube have all been similar, including by people who didn't get the review units.
  3. How does the 8k Hyperlapse feature work on the Mavic Pro Zoom? The 6s delay isn't artificial, that's how long it takes for the hardware to write and process the file. 8k anything on this drone is an experimental mode with many tradeoffs and I'm essentially ignoring it. A much better complaint would be asking for 4k (HDR) Hyperlapses, because that would be awesome and it's realistic with the hardware.
  4. No course lock. Legit issue if it bothers you. I would use it if it was there.
  5. The Fly app is future of DJI consumer drones. You can fight it for now, but it's coming.
If those things, plus the ability to zoom, are worth nearly $600 (w/Fly More on both) to you, more power to you. I don't see the value personally.
1. I'm hopeful also.
2. I've only recently seen some of those videos you some of. I redact my statement.
3. If we could have 4k Hyperlapse, processing time could be halved. That was exactly my point lol.
4. Yup.
5. Sucks, but, yup

See this is my issue. Such mixed reviews everywhere you look haha.
Thanks everyone for the input.
The 4k60fps and HDR video would be a massive selling point for me however I don't know if I can justify the purchase for such a thing.
If they announced tommorow the SC compatability with the MA2 and gimbal/exp adjustments, then I'd buy right away.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Why would you buy a Air 2 if you already have the zoom. You can’t even control the gimbal with the air 2.

Just curious how how you can control the gimbal on the zoom? I’ve never flown one, on the air you can control the y axis like the mini, can you control the x axis on the zoom or is it something else?

Different strokes for different folks. I personally would never give up my zoom for the Air 2. To me that would be a step back.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929