DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Corp of Engineers Dams & Locks no fly zones?

Jive

Reactions
So today, a buddy and I were out flying, and decided to get some footage of a local dam. When we got on site, I checked Airmap, and it gave me an all clear/no restrictions. My buddy pulled up the Before You Fly app, and it too said we were clear. When we were ready to take off, we made sure the Go app gave us the all clear as well. He flew a pack in his Mavic Air, and flew one in my Mavic Pro. We made sure to stay @ 400’ so we would be well clear of the dam. As we were packing up, someone from the Corp of Engineers pulled up. He was very nice, but explained that the dam was federal property, and thus we could not fly over or near it. We explained that per the FAA apps, it wasn’t shown as such. He wanted to see them, and was a bit confused that the dam was not listed as restricted. He said he would mention that to his superiors, and thanked us for being so nice. As we were packing up stuff into our car, another person from the Corp of Engineers pulled up, and was not so nice, or rather, more of the “by the books” type. The other guy explained that he had talked to us, but per our FAA apps, the dam was not restricted, to which the other guy said “I don’t care what the apps or FAA say, it is a no fly zone, and no drones can fly near it”. He may have said something about national security, but I am not sure. Anyways, we thanked them, and went on our way.

I am part 107 certified, and my buddy just finished his online course for the test. Neither of us remember anything like a dam being a no fly zone. I did see where some larger dams were made no fly zones per the FAA, but this is certainly not one of them. If they are indeed correct, then whatever database Airmap/Go pulls from needs to be updated. I have a feeling they were not correct though, but wanted to post to see who is in the right here. The only thing we know we were at fault on, is we took off from a local park that is owned by the Corp. We did this as the park was completely empty other than a guy walking his dog. I can see them restricting us from taking off/landing there, but they specifically said “flying over or near the dam”.

If it isn't in the sectionals or TFRs, they're probably wrong about fly-overs.
We checked Skyvector afterwards, and it shows nothing.

FYI, the dam in question is the Bluestone Dam in Hinton, WV.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (Nov. 6, 2018) — The public is reminded of the policies of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Nashville District and Tennessee Valley Authority that govern the operation and use of recreational unmanned aerial systems (UAS or drones) . The Corps of Engineers operates and maintains navigation locks at TVA dams where the TVA drone policy applies.

Note sure where you fly, but the laws are always changing for us. This is for the Tennessee Valley Authority just done in November. Is the dam a power maker? That's a no no then.

Dam shame.

Others have reported similar experiences but there is no law to back it up. The FAA has agreed a limited number of NFZs with DOI, DOE and DOD for national security reasons, but that isn't one of them. They have no jurisdiction over the airspace so unless you are taking off from their property they cannot, legally, do anything about overflights.

Seems to be another case of a job that gets you a badge and or some form of authority which some seem to think enhances the gray matter that resides between their ears. Another example of our governmental employees that have a hard time tying their own shoes in the morning.
Sad.

Airspace or not I would bet the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has every right to shut down the operation, good or bad.
Possibly, but if the FAA tells you to check their apps before you fly, and their apps give you an all clear, then how do you know? Also, from the part 107 training/test, only the FAA has jurisdiction over airspace, thus the Corp of Engineers cannot decide their airspace is private. They could ask the FAA to declare it, but that decision still falls on the FAA.

Airspace or not I would bet the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has every right to shut down the operation, good or bad.

No - they don't have that right. Even the Army Corps of Engineers has to follow the law.

Possibly, but if the FAA tells you to check their apps before you fly, and their apps give you an all clear, then how do you know? Also, from the part 107 training/test, only the FAA has jurisdiction over airspace, thus the Corp of Engineers cannot decide their airspace is private. They could ask the FAA to declare it, but that decision still falls on the FAA.

If the FAA says to use that app to fly legally then I guess you had nothing to worry about.

Well been flying ours for years and never had any issues .Is my main go to spot close to me to fly .DJI_0808.JPGDJI_0763.jpg DJI_0496.JPGDJI_0497.JPGHave folders full of stuff these just handy.

So today, a buddy and I were out flying, and decided to get some footage of a local dam. When we got on site, I checked Airmap, and it gave me an all clear/no restrictions. My buddy pulled up the Before You Fly app, and it too said we were clear. When we were ready to take off, we made sure the Go app gave us the all clear as well. He flew a pack in his Mavic Air, and flew one in my Mavic Pro. We made sure to stay @ 400’ so we would be well clear of the dam. As we were packing up, someone from the Corp of Engineers pulled up. He was very nice, but explained that the dam was federal property, and thus we could not fly over or near it. We explained that per the FAA apps, it wasn’t shown as such. He wanted to see them, and was a bit confused that the dam was not listed as restricted. He said he would mention that to his superiors, and thanked us for being so nice. As we were packing up stuff into our car, another person from the Corp of Engineers pulled up, and was not so nice, or rather, more of the “by the books” type. The other guy explained that he had talked to us, but per our FAA apps, the dam was not restricted, to which the other guy said “I don’t care what the apps or FAA say, it is a no fly zone, and no drones can fly near it”. He may have said something about national security, but I am not sure. Anyways, we thanked them, and went on our way.

I am part 107 certified, and my buddy just finished his online course for the test. Neither of us remember anything like a dam being a no fly zone. I did see where some larger dams were made no fly zones per the FAA, but this is certainly not one of them. If they are indeed correct, then whatever database Airmap/Go pulls from needs to be updated. I have a feeling they were not correct though, but wanted to post to see who is in the right here. The only thing we know we were at fault on, is we took off from a local park that is owned by the Corp. We did this as the park was completely empty other than a guy walking his dog. I can see them restricting us from taking off/landing there, but they specifically said “flying over or near the dam”.

I had the same situation with the Corp of Engineers. I had flown over a small flood control dam and when I was packing up a very young girl in a forest ranger uniform came up tome and explained that she could confiscate my drone because the col of the Corp of Engineers had banned flying any drones. I tried to show her the B4 U Fly app and Air Data app but she had no interest in listening. Only telling. When I asked if I could see anything that would confirm what she was telling me, I was told to leave or loose the drone. I smiled and left.

Reactions: dirkclod
I had the same situation with the Corp of Engineers. I had flown over a small flood control dam and when I was packing up a very young girl in a forest ranger uniform came up tome and explained that she could confiscate my drone because the col of the Corp of Engineers had banned flying any drones. I tried to show her the B4 U Fly app and Air Data app but she had no interest in listening. Only telling. When I asked if I could see anything that would confirm what she was telling me, I was told to leave or loose the drone. I smiled and left.

I used to be a USACE Park Ranger, she was acting on what she was trained with- there is a lot of misinformation being handed out about who has jurisdiction of airspace. Had she cited and asked for your drone, you’d be at a hearing in a Federal Magistrates courtroom asking for it back after your case was dismissed. You avoided a big hassle by complying with her.

It would help if you sent a polite letter to her regional manager explaining the situation and how they can correct the information.

Love the pictures! Nice work!
Thanks but need to learn to edit,I have so many and can't find what I was looking for but
I do bunch's of hypers at the locks of boats coming in and coming out but have a mess with my files :rolleyes:
I guess it just depends where you are at if they say anything. I know all these folks here as we a small place and I'm the only one I have ever seen flying there .Waterway ( Ten-Tom ) is about the biggest thing here .Lots of COE land for hunting and such .

Reactions: macoman
Well I guess I lost my bet :) best part about this forum is learning rules and laws so we can all have fun and fly safe
Exactly! Knowing where we can fly is important, and this kinda thing makes it hard to do so sometimes! [emoji106]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123