DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Correct Bobbing from walking in Post

apeel

Reactions
Hi Folks ...I understand that when you walk with the Osmo Pocket while recording, you will get a 'bobbing up & down' motion in the video, unless you do the "Ninja Walk Style" to minimize it. I understand that it requires a special 'Z" axis stabalization rod to address this issue during recording, but due to the size of this type of accessory I will not likely go to the trouble. However, what I do not understand is why this 'bobbing' motion cannot be fixed in post using a video stabilization feature in some video apps? At least stabilization in iMovie (which is what I currently use) does not seem to work.

Is there any other way to eliminate this 'bobbing' motion in post?

Thee are other motion stabilizers available. Coremelt makes "Lock and Load" which does, in my mind, a better job than the stabilizer in FCPX, the big brother to iMovie. Resolve from BlackMagic Design is worth a try as well. There are lots of motion artifacts that none of these fix, so miracles are unlikely.

In my brief experience with the warp stabilizer in Premiere with walking Osmo clips the results are so-so at best. I think the bottom line is you have to do the creeping Ninja walk which is annoying if you want to use the onboard audio because invariably you hear the Lon Chaney-like dragging of feet!

Use a self-balancing Segway miniPro for your moving Osmo Pocket dolly shots, indoors or outdoors! They are handsfree, and fun to ride, too! Control with your knees and by leaning forward or backwards, and even spin in place to make a 180° turn! Walmart sells them! $299. Highly recommended, and also an "other power-driven mobility device" (OPDMD) that enjoys special ADA status to be ridden almost anywhere!

Last edited:
Use a self-balancing Segway miniPro for your moving Osmo Pocket dolly shots, indoors or outdoors! They are handsfree, and fun to ride, too! Control with your knees and by leaning forward or backwards, and even spin in place to make a 180° turn! Walmart sells them! $299. Highly recommended, and also an "other power-driven mobility device" (OPDMD) that enjoys special ADA status to be ridden almost anywhere!
How do those rigs handle gravel and irregular ground?

How do those rigs handle gravel and irregular ground?
Very well. You can ride them on grass and offroad, and even jump off a curb (learned that unintentionally!) but turning in thick gravel might be an issue. Try one! Walmart offers a generous 90 day return policy!

I have four of them, including the Segway miniPlus with larger tires, a 12.9mph top speed, and a longer range. They are great for exploring, and pretty good at hill climbing, and can turn on a dime, even enabling riding up handicapped ramps with 180° turns without slowing down! If stairs are the only option, you can easily pick them up, and carry them up to the top or bottom of the stairway, to continue on your way!

Reactions: Twocalf
Hi Folks ...I understand that when you walk with the Osmo Pocket while recording, you will get a 'bobbing up & down' motion in the video, unless you do the "Ninja Walk Style" to minimize it. I understand that it requires a special 'Z" axis stabalization rod to address this issue during recording, but due to the size of this type of accessory I will not likely go to the trouble. However, what I do not understand is why this 'bobbing' motion cannot be fixed in post using a video stabilization feature in some video apps? At least stabilization in iMovie (which is what I currently use) does not seem to work.

Is there any other way to eliminate this 'bobbing' motion in post?
I do understand your hesitation to use the most well-known z-axis device because of the apparent increase in size that device makes things. However, I have recently discovered a smaller z-axis device for the pocket that appears to mitigate the issue somewhat. It still makes the Pocket more obvious than without, but does help to eliminate the bobbing. You can find it at Amazon for under $20: Amazon.com : Foldable Z axis Stabilizer Gimbal Stand Shock Absorber For Camera, With 1/4 standard screw holes For OSMO Pocket : Camera & Photo

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I do understand your hesitation to use the most well-known z-axis device because of the apparent increase in size that device makes things. However, I have recently discovered a smaller z-axis device for the pocket that appears to mitigate the issue somewhat. It still makes the Pocket more obvious than without, but does help to eliminate the bobbing. You can find it at Amazon for under $20: Amazon.com : Foldable Z axis Stabilizer Gimbal Stand Shock Absorber For Camera, With 1/4 standard screw holes For OSMO Pocket : Camera & Photo
Very similar to the Z-Axis device DJI made for the original Osmo, which worked quite well, as long as it is adjusted correctly, so the device never bottoms out. Just ordered!

Reactions: Gr8fulTed
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000