DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cost to use LAANC?

It doesn't cost anything to use LAANC.

Reactions: dawgpilot and Slade
I suspect that the FAA will charge people to take the test to fly under hobby but this has not been announced yet.

I don't see anything about LAANC on the airman app?

Reactions: Slade
sorry I meant to say airmap, I hate autocorrect

It appears that I can fly at a large sports complex in Windsor. According to the FAA map the area lies outside restricted airspace. Would I be ok to fly? Thanks everyone for your help.

Attachments

• F25B22FD-AB71-4304-AB79-45AA3EBA12D7.png
    F25B22FD-AB71-4304-AB79-45AA3EBA12D7.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 31
As of right now, hobbyists may only fly in Class G airspace or in authorized fixed sites within controlled airspace. See more details here:

I suspect that the FAA will charge people to take the test to fly under hobby but this has not been announced yet.

My feeling is that it will be a free online test. But we will see. Historically the FAA themselves haven't charged much in terms of fees.

Reactions: tleedom
Historically the FAA themselves haven't charged much in terms of fees.

Much? True. But they have charged us in order to comply with new rules. I think they will charge for the online test as they will probably farm out the system and need to pay someone to create and maintain it. In the past when this has been the case, they have charge us for that fee. Also, they will now need to maintain the LAANC for hobby use. It appears that some change is needed for this (otherwise they would just open it up and the use would not be delayed). So I think they will want to get paid for this and will do it through a "test" fee. I suspect it will be another nominal fee. Just a guess.

It appears that I can fly at a large sports complex in Windsor. According to the FAA map the area lies outside restricted airspace. Would I be ok to fly? Thanks everyone for your help.
Just be sure you know when any games/ events are happening that might result in a TNFZ. Currently if you are in one, like a sports venue, when it activates you could get an essentially immediate forced landing of your drone. It’s DJI programming. The potential for problems is obvious.

Does anyone have a clue as to what recreational pilots will pay to use LAANC?

It’s Free99 [emoji23] I use the app Airmap to get authorization. Super easy to use and they reply quickly. Recently used it to fly the Vegas strip in Vegas. Submitted and got authorization in less then two hours from the FAA.

I’m a hobbyist. When I needed to fly a project to help a friend I realized that I was in the San Jose (SJC) airspace. I found the number to call ATC at SJC. I was told by some at their ATC to file with LAANC using any compatible application. I made it clear to this
ATC person that I was a hobbyist and not a part 107 pilot, but I was assured that it didn’t matter. I proceeded to file a flight plan with AirMap and found it to be far easier than I had imagined.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa