DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Could I have gotten a CE version in error? How do I check?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
As you can see from my noted location I located in the middle of the US. I bought my Mini from Costco, so felt confident that I wasn't buying from a fly-by-night company. Everything works pretty much as it should and handling is pretty impressive. As a brand new pilot I've stayed very conservative in sending my drone out until I got a few skills under my belt. So now I've gotten a little brave...

...HOWEVER, in the last few flights I wanted to send it out a little farther, but in all three cases at just under 1600 feet (450 meters) I lost signal and the auto-RTH kicked in. The first time I attributed it to heavy foliage. This afternoon only one row of trees between me and the Mini which I sent exploring up a creek, 200 feet high or so. At 1500 feet, again RTH kicked in. BTW... In both of these cases I had the Yagi extenders on my controller, but and even still, far short of some of the ranges I've seen samples of. Then tonight, I actually launched from my 2nd floor balcony, across the golf course, only out about 1100 feet before losing signal (did not put the Yagis on for this flight). In this last instance, I did cross over power lines that separated me from the golf course about 65 feet away.

It seems to me that my Mini is losing signal approximately where the CE models are supposed to show limitations and far short of anticipated FCC Mini distances.
Is there a way to check to see if I actually received an FCC model... or got a CE model by mistake?

Last edited:
You can acheck on the back of the remote controller the FCC model is MR1SS5 on the top right of the label

1595043105308.png

Also in the transmission menu, you will see only channels 149,153,157,161,165, which are 5.8ghz frequencies which by themselves is the FCC model

You can find the model number on the black sticker inside the battery bay.
The model MT1SS5 has Mainland China SRRC standard certification and North American FCC.

MT1SD25 is a European CE certification and a Japanese MIC certification.

(Edit: Ninja'd by Iannes by 2 seconds :p )

You can acheck on the back of the remote controller the FCC model is MR1SS5 on the top right of the label

View attachment 108121

Also in the transmission menu, you will see only channels 149,153,157,161,165, which are 5.8ghz frequencies which by themselves is the FCC model

Here's a shot of the back of my controller... I guess that probably settles that. I'm wondering how I can get a bit further out yet? It's not that I want to push the range so much, at least not until I have a better feel of what my battery limitations are. It's just that the loss of signal is disconcerting and then the drone comes home on its own when I'm not ready for it.

I thought I heard someone say that it helps if you turn the wifi off on your phone. Is this true?

DJI_MM_Controller.jpg

Reactions: fificap
Did you try the the 5.8ghz Yagi antenna extenders ?

Try putting the device into airplane mode

Yes... The 1500 ft range was with these that I received this past week
Yagi extenders from ebay

I will try the airplane mode. How will that help it improve range?

Be sure to point your antennas like "l" and not "\" if that makes sense. I had a tendency to point them high in the sky. The mini seemed high when it took off..lol. I didn't realize that as it moved further out, you have to aim lower.

I've had the same problem, but have achieved 2500 feet. I get interference and low signal errors just before it loses contact. The current theory is that there is WiFi nearby the drone that interferes.

Did I have one or two "DUH" moments?????

I think we pretty well resolved that I have an FCC model.

I'd been beating myself over the head wondering why my Mavic Mini won't go beyond 1500 feet even with range extenders. I have to wonder if perhaps I had set the the maximum distance for 500 meters, but I can't be sure, at least in all instances.
Just before the Mini would go into RTH at that distance I lost signal- more than in one instance. Is that supposed to happen? The signal loss is what got me freaked out. I don't remember if or when I changed the max distance preference but it was set to 3400 ft when I looked today. The signal apppeared to be good- until it wasn't and I momentarily lost contact with the Mini. What I also didn't remember/know is that I had the subtitles turned on so I could go back and review the telemetry.

But I have one or two questions...

Unknowingly, I had the subtitles turned on so am able to view the moment my drone stopped. Below is a screen shot of the distance that I got in this instance where I really wanted to get closer to downtown Chicago for some B roll that I was shooting for a project. But the Mini just stopped right there. But as I recall I lost signal too. Is that usual? Also, the "SS" (693.38)- does the SS stand for "signal strength" and if so, what is considered in the low or poor range?

I did manage to get it out to 2505 ft before I decided I didn't want to take it any further because the winds were high enough that I got high wind warnings and had to keep the altitude about 135 ft. I made sure that I launched and set the direction where there would be minimal obstructions and intereference. Still, if SS means signal strength I had a pretty good signal at that range. I had the Yagi extenders on this time as well.

telemetry.jpg
Old_Orchard.jpg

Last edited:
I think SS might relate to "shutter speed" given that is in the details relating to the exposure

500 meters is not bad for a MM in a surburb

I think SS might relate to "shutter speed" given that is in the details relating to the exposure

500 meters is not bad for a MM in a surburb

I edited my previous reply and posted a photo with data from this afternoon.

I don't think shutter speed is it. I edited the reply to show the distance I got this afternoon (see subsequent follow up photo) and could have gone further still. At 764 meters the SS is showing 1159.82 which has no relation to any shutter speed that I've ever encountered in 35 years in professional photography. I'm going with signal strength- final answer (g)... And the answer is????

I don't think shutter speed is it. I edited the reply to show the distance I got this afternoon (see subsequent follow up photo) and could have gone further still. At 764 meters the SS is showing 1159.82 which has no relation to any shutter speed that I've ever encountered in 35 years in professional photography. I'm going with signal strength- final answer (g)... And the answer is????

@iannes... I stand corrected. It is exposure value. It's just a very odd way to express it. I've been a professional photographer for over 30 years and have never seen it expressed that way, even in my high end digital SLRs. I would really like to see signal strength, but oh well. Thanks for setting me straight.

Reactions: ff22
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000