DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Could not manually fly home, had to use RTH

bandroidx

Reactions
Hi, all had a butt clenching moment today on a flight where the mavic would not go forward. I was freaking out because it was giving me high wind warnings (but the wind was very light, i knew it couldnt be that it couldnt overcome the wind but still was in my head). I was bumbling in the menu to enable sport mode option to try that to try and overcome this phantom strong wind but then i did a RTH and sure enough it flew straight back with no issues.

I found a post about this same issue in Novemeber that seems to been caused by Lichi but I dont use Lichi. I was using the IOS version of the dji app. The firmware on the controller and the mavic is the previous release (i was waiting to upgrade to the latest until i ddint see people posting issues about it anymore).

This is my healthydrone log, shows nothing: HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

(I know i took off with only 78% battery but i was planning a short flight)

The point where it got stuck was the RTH point. Also, it would let me yaw the aircraft, it just wouldnt fly forwards.

Has this happened to anyone since the original firmware in November? Was pretty **** scary, I was getting ready to find somewhere to land it.

PS. its normal for it to turn off obstacle avoidance when auto landing? it did it twice today but i dont recall it doing it the first couple times i used auto landing.

Winds can be deceiving. Winds aloft are always stronger than winds at ground level. You probably have the "Obstacle Avoidance" feature turned on which restricts motor power somewhat. When you went to RTH the "Obstacle Avoidance" feature was turned off apparently giving enough extra oomph to the motors to overcome the winds aloft. Don't take this opinion to the bank. There might be another gremlin at work but I would guess that that my first opinion was probably what happened.

Winds can be deceiving. Winds aloft are always stronger than winds at ground level. You probably have the "Obstacle Avoidance" feature turned on which restricts motor power somewhat. When you went to RTH the "Obstacle Avoidance" feature was turned off apparently giving enough extra oomph to the motors to overcome the winds aloft. Don't take this opinion to the bank. There might be another gremlin at work but I would guess that that my first opinion was probably what happened.

Thanks for your reply, the only reason I dont think this is the case is how easy it flew home with RTH. I do agree with winds aloft being way higher than ground level, I have experienced this before with RC planes. The thing would not budge, it wasnt even trying to come home with stick movement, when i hit RTH it launched at me at full speed and made it back super quick. Also, its not really that definitive I know but the ground wind was actually mostly in the direction home, so if anything it would have wind with it assuming it wasnt massively different 200ft up.

happend to me today! Had the Mav in sports mode pointed toward home full throttle and was getting blown further away.
Got in the car to chase it, not sure if i tried RTH or not in my panic. But while chase it down I got further away from the Mav and lost signal to it. At that point the Mav took over and RTH with no problem, I am uploading a youtube video recorded the whole thing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo