DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Could the end be nigh?

Jussaguy

Reactions
Proposed Rules Would Allow U.S. to Track and Destroy Drones

The Trump administration is asking Congress to give the federal government sweeping powers to track, hack and destroy any type of drone over domestic soil with a new exception to laws governing surveillance, computer privacy and aircraft protection, according to a document obtained by The New York Times.

The document is a 10-page draft and summary of legislation the executive branch circulated among several congressional committees on Tuesday, according to a congressional aide. The administration also scheduled a classified briefing on Wednesday for congressional staff members to discuss the topic, the aide said.

Reactions: Member and adiru
Interesting. Sounds like this is pointed towards military operations or government facilities/operations, or government employees that need higher levels of protection, not just nation wide destruction of drones in the air without consent.

(d)(4) develop standards and procedures for heads of departments and agencies to designate a covered facility, location, or installation, a covered operation, or a covered person, which shall ensure that only individuals with appropriate training and acting subject to Federal Government oversight are designated as covered persons.

Yep. The end is near folks. Build a bunker and stock it full of potatoes and water. Don't forget the tinfoil hat.
I didn't say the end of the world. It's the beginning of the end of US freedom to fly our toys even reasonably.

Reactions: wayy510
Interesting. Sounds like this is pointed towards military operations or government facilities/operations, or government employees that need higher levels of protection, not just nation wide destruction of drones in the air without consent.

(d)(4) develop standards and procedures for heads of departments and agencies to designate a covered facility, location, or installation, a covered operation, or a covered person, which shall ensure that only individuals with appropriate training and acting subject to Federal Government oversight are designated as covered persons.
You think those are well defined?

100%

It's amazing how many people are arguing the opposite - we should have no rules, no regulations, MUH FREEDUMBZ!!! EVIL GOOBERMINTS!!!

It's ridiculous and short sighted. If the commercial industry, never mind the hobby side, is to survive long-term, we need strict regulation and we need it NOW. We are one major incident away from a public outcry to flat-out ban drones, and Washington won't think twice before doing it. It's even more amazing how many people think this incident will never happen, even when being stared in the face by a laundry list of incidents caused by drone operator stupidity and/or recklessness.
I am not disagreeing that we need regulation.

We had/have regulation. When the FAA registration was struck down 4 days ago, I was highly concerned.

It is easy to build a drone. More people that fly photo birds that are easy to set up and fly 1000 feet in the air are a minority compared to people that can just build one themselves and nothing will stop that.

I am all for regulations if the regulations are well spelled out and exact so that the abuse of power can not be had by the federal government.

I just happened to see that Steel git arrested: (go to 13:50)

I am not disagreeing that we need regulation.

We had/have regulation. When the FAA registration was struck down 4 days ago, I was highly concerned.

It is easy to build a drone. More people that fly photo birds that are easy to set up and fly 1000 feet in the air are a minority compared to people that can just build one themselves and nothing will stop that.

I am all for regulations if the regulations are well spelled out and exact so that the abuse of power can not be had by the federal government.

I just happened to see that Steel git arrested: (go to 13:50)

These guys were arrested for trespassing, "there were no trespassing signs but we didn't think that applied because the gate was open" is a completely idiotic argument.

These guys were arrested for trespassing, "there were no trespassing signs but we didn't think that applied because the gate was open" is a completely idiotic argument.
Trespassing?

Is that why they were contacted by the FAA?

To set the context, I am a libertarian conservative in my political/social views. I chafe at government appearance in my life. So that's the POV I come at this from.

That said, I strongly support these efforts. The technology to easily identify, and seize control of a nefarious drone can't come too soon. And it can't be widely deployed fast enough, all the way to local PD, IMHO.

It is my carefully considered opinion that that is the only way we are going to be able to continue to fly, and with anything resembling some semblance of "freedom".

Drone enthusiasts that don't see, and accept, that these devices are already being used for criminal and terrorist purposes haven't been paying attention to the news. We are at the very early stages of this technology -- within a few years we will have drones that can be completely controlled by voice. It's only going to get worse/better (depending on how you look at it) from there.

We, as a society need the ability to quickly and precisely counter dangerous uses of this technology, as such uses are only going to increase.

Part of the price we pay for that is being inconvenienced, hassled, and sometimes completely frustrated when trying to fly. But we're still flying.

Absent this sort of ability, it will only take one or two drone-delivered bombs in a mall or something killing a few dozen and hobby flying is DONE. Commercial licensing gets much more tight and high-scrutiny. People will not put up with being scared every time they see a drone.

For your consideration.

To set the context, I am a libertarian conservative in my political/social views. I chafe at government appearance in my life. So that's the POV I come at this from.

That said, I strongly support these efforts. The technology to easily identify, and seize control of a nefarious drone can't come too soon. And it can't be widely deployed fast enough, all the way to local PD, IMHO.

It is my carefully considered opinion that that is the only way we are going to be able to continue to fly, and with anything resembling some semblance of "freedom".

Drone enthusiasts that don't see, and accept, that these devices are already being used for criminal and terrorist purposes haven't been paying attention to the news. We are at the very early stages of this technology -- within a few years we will have drones that can be completely controlled by voice. It's only going to get worse/better (depending on how you look at it) from there.

We, as a society need the ability to quickly and precisely counter dangerous uses of this technology, as such uses are only going to increase.

Part of the price we pay for that is being inconvenienced, hassled, and sometimes completely frustrated when trying to fly. But we're still flying.

Absent this sort of ability, it will only take one or two drone-delivered bombs in a mall or something killing a few dozen and hobby flying is DONE. Commercial licensing gets much more tight and high-scrutiny. People will not put up with being scared every time they see a drone.

For your consideration.

Typical fear mongering.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada