DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Couldn't help it- Mini 3 ordered, but with one dumb question

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I knew I'd buy a Mini 3 sooner or later. But I guess I decided to do it earlier. I'm on the list at B&H so hopefully will get it on the next round of deliveries, which won't be for a few weeks. I think there are 1500 pre orders at B&H so who knows if I'll make the cut. I know they requested 5000 units from DJI! But how many will they get?

I decided for the time being I'd only pre-order the Mini 3 and smart controller. It's really the Smart controller that pushed me early. it looks like the deployment speed is super fast. Hooking up the phone and cables is what takes the longest to get going and with subjects/events that are "transitory" it could mean the difference between getting the shot and missing it altogether. \

But here's the dumb question... If one wanted to put a screen shade or use a larger tablet, where would you mount it on the Mini 3's smart controller? Can you use an auxiliary device or are you just stuck with the one screen in the controller?

I've got a "standard" controller already with my Mini 2 and for me it's a non-starter. $150 is a good price difference to have a built in screen. At this point I'm planning only going to buy an extended battery ($95) and replacement props as I don't feel I'll be penalized financially if I don't buy the FMC. I figure I should buy it now in the summer months as after the leaves fall in the autumn there isn't much very inspiring here. I'm not sure what I'll do with the Mini 2, but have a small crack in the hull which I'll send to DJI before the current Care/Refresh subscription expires then think about selling it.

If one wanted to put a screen shade or use a larger tablet, where would you mount it on the Mini 3's smart controller? Can you use an auxiliary device or are you just stuck with the one screen in the controller?

I'm not up to speed with the Smart Controller, but I think it has an HDMI out port that may allow an additional monitor or goggles to be attached via a cable. 🤔

As far as mounting a separate monitor, you may need a length of HDMI cable and a tripod to secure the monitor that is friendly to a standard mount. 🤷‍♂️

I knew I'd buy a Mini 3 sooner or later. But I guess I decided to do it earlier. I'm on the list at B&H so hopefully will get it on the next round of deliveries, which won't be for a few weeks. I think there are 1500 pre orders at B&H so who knows if I'll make the cut. I know they requested 5000 units from DJI! But how many will they get?

I decided for the time being I'd only pre-order the Mini 3 and smart controller. It's really the Smart controller that pushed me early. it looks like the deployment speed is super fast. Hooking up the phone and cables is what takes the longest to get going and with subjects/events that are "transitory" it could mean the difference between getting the shot and missing it altogether. \

But here's the dumb question... If one wanted to put a screen shade or use a larger tablet, where would you mount it on the Mini 3's smart controller? Can you use an auxiliary device or are you just stuck with the one screen in the controller?

I've got a "standard" controller already with my Mini 2 and for me it's a non-starter. $150 is a good price difference to have a built in screen. At this point I'm planning only going to buy an extended battery ($95) and replacement props as I don't feel I'll be penalized financially if I don't buy the FMC. I figure I should buy it now in the summer months as after the leaves fall in the autumn there isn't much very inspiring here. I'm not sure what I'll do with the Mini 2, but have a small crack in the hull which I'll send to DJI before the current Care/Refresh subscription expires then think about selling it.
I don’t know if any tablets that have HDMI inputs on them so you’d probably have to get a small external monitor, something like an Atomos Shinobi for that to work. Otherwise the whole point is that the controller has a built in screen so you don’t need to do that.

I believe there is talk of using the two threaded holes on 'your' side of the controller as an attachment point for a tablet holder etc.
I would wait and see if any stress cracks are reported around these holes when they are used for this purpose or the attachment of a lanyard. I believe the one or more of the other smart controllers suffer from this.

@vindibona1 there are two 4mm threaded holes on the bottom of the DJI rc that comes with the built in screen and two smaller threaded holes on the back to apparently attach a dongle in the future
the only connections on the bottom of the RC are a USB c for charging ,and another USB c under the cover next to the SD card slot ,that has the word Host on the cover
it is a pared down version of the smart controller ,a lot lighter and without some of the functions

Reactions: EyesWideShut
I think controller you mean is the DJI RC with the 5.5 inch screen which has the connections @old man mavic says and It doesn't have a HDMI connection like the "DJI Smart Controller." I believe currently a larger screen or device CAN'T be connected. I just went to the DJI store and got a popup that said "The DJI Smart Controller is no longer in production. For the latest in DJI technology, please view our product recommendations below."

Two other points, I have seen threads on this forum about connecting a USB-C mic for audio recording so one USB port can currently be used for something other than charging. Also another Forum thread using the bottom bolt holes for attaching the DJI RC to a 3D printed handlebar mount, so I'm sure the threaded holes will accept a mount for a device if there comes a time when/if device connectivity is available.

Reactions: MA2 317
@vindibona1 there are two 4mm threaded holes on the bottom of the DJI rc that comes with the built in screen and two smaller threaded holes on the back to apparently attach a dongle in the future
the only connections on the bottom of the RC are a USB c for charging ,and another USB c under the cover next to the SD card slot ,that has the word Host on the cover
it is a pared down version of the smart controller ,a lot lighter and without some of the functions

Thank you so much for the reply. I wasn't sure exactly what I was going to do with my Mini 2. I think the one thing I will do is hold off making a decision regarding selling it as the standard controller could be useful. I'll assume that I won't want to use my iPad Mini 6 having a built-in screen. But I really like having a big screen, though it's a trade-off between brightness and size. I don't see a hurry to do anything as I'll take a haircut on any of the used gear I want to sell and I don't need that cash to afford the Mini 3.

Just to make sure I understand, the Mini 3 FMC doesn't come with ND filters, does it?

Reactions: old man mavic
I think controller you mean is the DJI RC with the 5.5 inch screen which has the connections @old man mavic says and It doesn't have a HDMI connection like the "DJI Smart Controller." I believe currently a larger screen or device CAN'T be connected. I just went to the DJI store and got a popup that said "The DJI Smart Controller is no longer in production. For the latest in DJI technology, please view our product recommendations below."

Two other points, I have seen threads on this forum about connecting a USB-C mic for audio recording so one USB port can currently be used for something other than charging. Also another Forum thread using the bottom bolt holes for attaching the DJI RC to a 3D printed handlebar mount, so I'm sure the threaded holes will accept a mount for a device if there comes a time when/if device connectivity is available.
I didn't see your reply before responding to OMM. But it seems that I won't be selling my Mini 2 soon. And much as I have disdain for the "standard" controller, it may come in handy as the RC seems to be hamstrung to a point. People say they prefer the "standard" controller better than the Mavic 2 controllers. IMO there is no contest. At least the RC picks up a few of the functions that from the Mavic 2 controller and the $1200 Smart controller. Its sad that the Mavic 3 didn't have a better standard option than the same controller as the Mini 2.

I wonder how long it will take for 3rd parties to come to market with chargers that charge in parallel rather than in series. I love my Hanatora that I have for my Mavic 2.

Is yours the kind of one with the holes in the controller? When you said screen shade those holes came to mind
I think you can mount a screen shade there
Hey.. it's been awhile...

@vindibona1 no the FMC does not come with ND filters ,or a charging brick for that matter
there are filters available both from DJI and outside manufactures and on the new camera they replace the lens cover which is easily removed by holding the cameras body and twisting the cover gently to the left

I have the original mini. I have a bracket to mount my 9.7 inch IPad Air tablet onto the controller. But I have used it ONLY TWICE in the years Ive owned it. Its just quicker to stick my IPOD into the controller and go! Yes, I said IPOD. I still have a flip phone ( you can drop it ten feet, with what I do, I would kill an IPhone, so the IPod, which is an iPhone 6 with no phone access, does the job as monitor.

I use a HDMI to USB- C cable to monitor my Mavic 2 Pro and Air 2s .

Attachments

• 58434D6B-DDF2-4D67-9902-485A521C5354.jpeg
    58434D6B-DDF2-4D67-9902-485A521C5354.jpeg
    283.2 KB · Views: 0
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mavic 3 classic User