DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Couldn't stay away from DJI. (New Mini 2 FM on the way)

nick779

Reactions
Well, after a 4 year hiatus it seems I'm joining the DJI family again. The Mini 2 was just too compelling for the money/size/weight and the flight time is crazy compared to the Spark.
I've missed being able to fly around a bit to explore and this should be a good deal quieter than the Mavic I had too.

Pretty excited to play around with this new ultralight.

Edit: I'm a bit of a data nerd, is there now software or a way to extract detailed flight logs? (I have not received the quad yet) Something like this: Log in or go to real-name authentication or if other options exist. I think I may have used Airdata in the past, but it has been a LONG time.

Last edited:
You usually have 3 different logs recorded after a flight ...

-One directly in the craft ending with .DAT which runs from power on to power off, it contain raw and processed sensor data and the IMU solution for craft attitude, position, velocity and heading, together with battery and motor data, recorded at rates varying from 5 Hz to 200 Hz. Unfortunately this craft log can not be read by others than DJI staff for all crafts coming after the Mavic PRO 1.

-Then you have another .DAT log created & stored in the mobile device you flew with, also running from power on to power off ... it contain a subset of the craft DAT log, including most of the raw sensor data, battery and motor data, recorded at a lower data rate of 10 Hz. This log can for nearly all modern crafts be read but unfortunately the Mini 2 is one of the first to have this log encrypted in a similar way as the craft .DAT ... so just for the Mini 2 it's only DJI staff that can read them.

-Then lastly you have a third log ending with .TXT. This log is created & stored in the mobile device you flew with, it runs from motor on to motor off ... these logs contain telemetry transmitted from the craft to the RC at 10 Hz. These logs don't include any raw sensor data, only the IMU solutions that are the output from the sensor fusion algorithm. They also include battery data, gimbal and camera data, flight status and error flags, but no motor data. These logs have usually been readable by various tools & web services like Airdata.com or Phantomhelp.com. Unfortunately the .TXT logs comming from the DJI FLY app above version 1.2.1 have got a new encryption ... meaning the ways of visualize the flight have been severely crippled right now, it's only Airdata.com that can be used for time being.

If you want to read more about flight logs ... go here --> Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide

So, in a nut shell ... the Mini 2 is the worst of them all when it comes to flight logs.

Last edited:
Reactions: EmsAir and nick779
You usually have 3 different logs recorded after a flight ...

-One directly in the craft ending with .DAT which runs from power on to power off, it contain raw and processed sensor data and the IMU solution for craft attitude, position, velocity and heading, together with battery and motor data, recorded at rates varying from 5 Hz to 200 Hz. Unfortunately this craft log can not be read by others than DJI staff for all crafts coming after the Mavic PRO 1.

-Then you have another .DAT log created & stored in the mobile device you flew with, also running from power on to power off ... it contain a subset of the craft DAT log, including most of the raw sensor data, battery and motor data, recorded at a lower data rate of 10 Hz. This log can for nearly all modern crafts be read but unfortunately the Mini 2 is one of the first to have this log encrypted in a similar way as the craft .DAT ... so just for the Mini 2 it's only DJI staff that can read them.

-Then lastly you have a third log ending with .TXT. This log is created & stored in the mobile device you flew with, it runs from motor on to motor off ... these logs contain telemetry transmitted from the craft to the RC at 10 Hz. These logs don't include any raw sensor data, only the IMU solutions that are the output from the sensor fusion algorithm. They also include battery data, gimbal and camera data, flight status and error flags, but no motor data. These logs have usually been readable by various tools & web services like Airdata.com or Phantomhelp.com. Unfortunately the .TXT logs comming from the DJI FLY app above version 1.2.1 have got a new encryption ... meaning the ways of visualize the flight have been severely crippled right now, it's only Airdata.com that can be used for time being.

If you want to read more about flight logs ... go here --> Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide

So, in a nut shell ... the Mini 2 is the worst of them all when it comes to flight logs.
Figures, but no harm. I stumbled upon my old Airdata login with some Mavic Pro logs in it. I guess they might look different when compared to the Mini 2 considering the limitations you listed.

Thank you for the reading material though!

After a phantom 2, Mavic 1, 2 Sparks and a Parrot Anafi I got a Mini 1 last month.

the **** thing is near perfect. What is incredible is the range. Today I broke 10 000 feet for the first time with any drone without worrying about loosing signal. Never lost it, the signal was solid when I turned around after shooting the spot I wanted to reach at 10 500’ or two miles.

The reliability of the signal also allows me to get pics or footage at lower altitude as well without loosing signal

now battery life is good but nowhere near advertised... no surprise though. Both long distance flights to 2 miles out lasted about 13 minutes round trip (sports mode most of the time) and I landed with 20% battery remaining. Normal considering the speed it was flying at but it seems like 2 to 2 1/2 miles I pretty much the limit due to battery.

last minor grip is the annoying high wind warning that pops up, mostly in sports mode for some reason. It annoying and ominous as it says the drone won’t be able to RTH. Minor glitch.

Altogether the best drone and value i ve had

here is one of the pic I got at 2 miles out C0E88D61-9915-416A-BC7F-2D5CCCEA137B.jpeg

Well, after a 4 year hiatus it seems I'm joining the DJI family again. The Mini 2 was just too compelling for the money/size/weight and the flight time is crazy compared to the Spark.
I've missed being able to fly around a bit to explore and this should be a good deal quieter than the Mavic I had too.

Pretty excited to play around with this new ultralight.

Edit: I'm a bit of a data nerd, is there now software or a way to extract detailed flight logs? (I have not received the quad yet) Something like this: Log in or go to real-name authentication or if other options exist. I think I may have used Airdata in the past, but it has been a LONG time.
It makes me happy to hear that you like to extract data from the flight logs. I don’t have the will to do that and when I do need help, god forbid, after a crash, I’ll know data nerds like yourself will be able to explain what had happened with my flight. So thank you in advance?
Cheers and have a great time with you new mini 2.
Rex

After a phantom 2, Mavic 1, 2 Sparks and a Parrot Anafi I got a Mini 1 last month.

the **** thing is near perfect. What is incredible is the range. Today I broke 10 000 feet for the first time with any drone without worrying about loosing signal. Never lost it, the signal was solid when I turned around after shooting the spot I wanted to reach at 10 500’ or two miles.

The reliability of the signal also allows me to get pics or footage at lower altitude as well without loosing signal

now battery life is good but nowhere near advertised... no surprise though. Both long distance flights to 2 miles out lasted about 13 minutes round trip (sports mode most of the time) and I landed with 20% battery remaining. Normal considering the speed it was flying at but it seems like 2 to 2 1/2 miles I pretty much the limit due to battery.

last minor grip is the annoying high wind warning that pops up, mostly in sports mode for some reason. It annoying and ominous as it says the drone won’t be able to RTH. Minor glitch.

Altogether the best drone and value i ve had

here is one of the pic I got at 2 miles out View attachment 127021
Stunning shot ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada