DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

County parks in Florida takeoff/landing, flyover

lomposlapos

Reactions
Looking for clarification.
Apart from the State regulations, what drone regulations (takeoff/landing, flyover) apply to Coquina Beach Gulfside? This is a park managed by the County. Coquina Beach

Last edited:
You need to contact the county parks and rec department. In Lee County you can takeoff and land in the parks as long as it is not overhead groups of people or events.

County response: "...drones are prohibited, as they are at all Manatee County Parks and Beaches".

What they could not point me to is the actual text of ordinance, code, law or whatever, so I know exactly what is allowed and what's not.

An other issue is the airspace. My understanding a county can regulate takeoff/landing only but not flyover as airspace is FAA - is this correct?

You need to get clarification from them. Most likely just for take off and landing.

Last edited:
They cannot prohibit overflights, nor do they based on their rules list. However, they can get you for disturbing wildlife and make your flight a hassle for you.

And the funny thing is, that looks like a drone shot on their landing page.

For questions and parks such as these, I do research the web site (in this case no drones were mentioned). Then, I practice my usual STEALTH droning. Thus, get there at the crack of dawn, when nobody is around, including police. Take your shots as fast as possible, preferable from a hidden place, and get the heck out of there. Never go on a Saturday or Sunday or holiday (increased awareness and crowds). Like a bank robber casing a "hit" I observe for a while, paying attention to the routes of the authorities. I wait until they have just left and then GO. I have learned that by asking, the default, and fallback answer is a cover your tail answer of NO. Preferably, start flight from outside of the desired area to be filmed.

County response: "...drones are prohibited, as they are at all Manatee County Parks and Beaches".

What they could not point me to is the actual text of ordinance, code, law or whatever, so I know exactly what is allowed and what's not.

An other issue is the airspace. My understanding a county can regulate takeoff/landing only but not flyover as airspace is FAA - is this correct?

Florida passes drone laws pre-emptively. Are you sure Manatee County isn't blowing smoke up your skirt?

HB 1027 // 2017

This law pre-empts local regulation of UAS so that only the Florida Legislature can make laws concerning the use of drones in the state, but allows local governments to enact drone ordinances related to nuisances, voyeurism, harassment, reckless endangerment, property damage, or other illegal acts. This law also prohibits the operation of drones over or near critical infrastructure in most instances, as well as prohibiting the possession or operation of a weaponized UAS.

For questions and parks such as these, I do research the web site (in this case no drones were mentioned). Then, I practice my usual STEALTH droning. Thus, get there at the crack of dawn, when nobody is around, including police. Take your shots as fast as possible, preferable from a hidden place, and get the heck out of there. Never go on a Saturday or Sunday or holiday (increased awareness and crowds). Like a bank robber casing a "hit" I observe for a while, paying attention to the routes of the authorities. I wait until they have just left and then GO. I have learned that by asking, the default, and fallback answer is a cover your tail answer of NO. Preferably, start flight from outside of the desired area to be filmed.
That’s my number one Rule! Never let them see you take off! 95% of all my hassles started with letting them see me take off!

I recently was in Florida. Pilnelsis county had a restriction use using county property as parking lots parks ect. Where I was staying I got permission to take off and land property. Gave owner copy of my numbers certification and my TRUST ID THATS WAS LEGAL THERE

This is right off their web page.View attachment 131942
That really doesn't address the question. What does the "Drones and other remotely operated vehicles or toys are prohibited" mean? Not using on the physical beach property or are they trying to say you can not even fly over the beach? What happens if you take off outside of the park and fly 1' offshore? What happens if I stand in the water (which is legally no longer property of the county) and take off and land from there?

Heading to Brandenton in a little over a month and was planning to bring my drone. Been researching where I can fly and came across this thread. I see on the Manatee County site that it says drones are prohibited from flying over beaches, but the Parks and Rec ordinance it cites at the bottom of the page says nothing about drones: Municode Library

You have to check into it when I was at Treasure Island in Pinnacles county you could not fly from their parks you not allowed to take off or land. Way I was to do it I got permission from a land owner to take off and land from his property. Mind you you still under FAA rules about flying over people cars ect. I did cleat my flights thru Aloft

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ