DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CPL filter or UV/Haze filter....

Crow Horse

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I've been searching through threads but haven't come across an answer that will suit my needs. At the bare minimum I'd like to get a protective filter on the camera lens and any other benefit for taking video is really up for grabs. What would you recommend? Thanks......

I've been searching through threads but haven't come across an answer that will suit my needs. At the bare minimum I'd like to get a protective filter on the camera lens and any other benefit for taking video is really up for grabs. What would you recommend? Thanks......
A couple of ND filters would serve you well. For a really basic selection I would go with non polarized ND4 for cloudy days, non polarized ND8 for sunny days.

I do use CPL filters and ND/PL filters but because of the polarization they have to be aligned properly to work as designed so I would rule them out for ease of use.

If you really get into the filter changing there is no end to the ways you can manipulate the camera but start simple and expand from there

MC-UV is on my camera lens all the time, apart from when I run a plain ND for motion blur.
I do have a C-PL but hardly use it due to the hassle with proper use in a drone.
The MC-UV really seems to make photos pop a bit with colour and clarity.

Reactions: 4006448
A couple of ND filters would serve you well. For a really basic selection I would go with non polarized ND4 for cloudy days, non polarized ND8 for sunny days.

I do use CPL filters and ND/PL filters but because of the polarization they have to be aligned properly to work as designed so I would rule them out for ease of use.

If you really get into the filter changing there is no end to the ways you can manipulate the camera but start simple and expand from there
The ND/PL filter has an alignment marker.

The ND/PL filter has an alignment marker.
The problem is that they need to be aligned based on where the light is coming from. Drones turn in the sky so is hard to keep the correct angle so the result can be visible changes in the video.

ND filters are not recommended unless you have a very specific shooting situation that is causing strobing.

CPL filters still are useful even without being perfectly aligned.

Being that I'm a complete novice arena, I think I'll start just using a MC-UV filter and see what results that yields. Thanks for everyone's input.....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS