DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CPU Fully loaded? How to "unload"

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I'm running my drones on an iPhone 6s plus. I'm not tech saavy when it comes to phones, so could use some education and advice.

I always get the message in the Fly app: "Mobile device CPU fuully loaded. Related performance will be affected".

What does that mean exactly, and can I clear the CPU so the message and problem will no longer appear? TIA

I'm running my drones on an iPhone 6s plus. I'm not tech saavy when it comes to phones, so could use some education and advice.

I always get the message in the Fly app: "Mobile device CPU fuully loaded. Related performance will be affected".

What does that mean exactly, and can I clear the CPU so the message and problem will no longer appear? TIA
It means that your device is borderline as it is to run the DJI Fly App. If you are sure that is the only App running, and that ambient air temperature is within spec of your Apple. The only thing you can do is move up in Phone series. There is nothing your going to do to clear the CPU.;) It is phone and temperature related. Your phone is starting to over heat, it then throttles the CPU back to protect itself from over heat...which then doesn't have enough to run the App at normal operational speeds. Time to move up to a higher spec'd device it seems :)

I basically gave up.

This happens to me even on start up, when the only app running is Fly App, and everything that needs to be closed (clicked off) in the app has been done.

I would welcome a fix to this so I can use my iPhone 6 plus again but from the feedback I got, this appears to be a hardware problem limitation/issue already.

If you don’t want to have the expense of a new phone, I would recommend an iPad Mini 5. You could go cheap via no cellular, basic memory and maybe a refurbished.

If you don’t want to have the expense of a new phone, I would recommend an iPad Mini 5. You could go cheap via no cellular, basic memory and maybe a refurbished.
While helpful, I am quite sure moving up to a refurbished iPhone, lets say a 8 is much cheaper than jumping right to the holy grail of a Mini 5, refurbished or not.

I get it on my mini4 ..never an issue ..it flashes up then goes off ... I suspect there are some odd instructions that do indeed load the cpu but if it’s not constant I would simply ignore it ... I do ..never been an issue ... oh and it happened only 9n the MA2 and not the Mini2 ..go figure..

Reactions: hiflyer201
It means that your device is borderline as it is to run the DJI Fly App. If you are sure that is the only App running, and that ambient air temperature is within spec of your Apple. The only thing you can do is move up in Phone series. There is nothing your going to do to clear the CPU.;) It is phone and temperature related. Your phone is starting to over heat, it then throttles the CPU back to protect itself from over heat...which then doesn't have enough to run the App at normal operational speeds. Time to move up to a higher spec'd device it seems :)
I'm overdue for a new phone. I now have an iPhone 6sPlus. Until now I would get hand me down phones from a business every two years. So my phone would be 2-4 years old and still have 95% of the features and power I've needed. However, COVID stopped the phone upgrade up the food chain, so I have to wait- or pay. if I have to pay for a better device I would probably prefer and afford a latter day iPad Mini. iPhones are ridiculously expensive these days. Androids, while less expensive are only a bit less expensive in the long term picture and (sadly) not as DJI friendly as Apple.

I'm overdue for a new phone. I now have an iPhone 6sPlus. Until now I would get hand me down phones from a business every two years. So my phone would be 2-4 years old and still have 95% of the features and power I've needed. However, COVID stopped the phone upgrade up the food chain, so I have to wait- or pay. if I have to pay for a better device I would probably prefer and afford a latter day iPad Mini. iPhones are ridiculously expensive these days. Androids, while less expensive are only a bit less expensive in the long term picture and (sadly) not as DJI friendly as Apple.
I love my iPhone 12 Pro Max!

Another thing to consider is the age of your phone’s battery.

IOS throttles the CPU performance of your phone as the battery gets older. This is actually necessary, or your phone will start suddenly turning off if the battery gets overloaded.

A phone battery will start declining rapidly in performance in less than 2 years with daily use.

I am facing this situation now. I have a 4-year-old iPhone 7. I replaced the battery for $50 in the beginning of 2019. Its now starting to go bad again. I hoping it will hold out until the new iPhones come out in the fall when I’m planning to replace my phone.

Reactions: Alan_M and DanMan32
Turn off "cache when recording" in DJI Fly it's in the Advanced shooting settings.
Also turn off histogram, overexposure warning and video subtitles.

While helpful, I am quite sure moving up to a refurbished iPhone, lets say a 8 is much cheaper than jumping right to the holy grail of a Mini 5, refurbished or not.
Yeah, I’d think an 8 would be fine, and cheaper than a newer iPad mini. My iPhone 7 would show this warning when the weather got warmer, and I had to take precautions to keep it shaded on sunny days.

Turn off "cache when recording" in DJI Fly it's in the Advanced shooting settings.
Good suggestions. I can definitely turn off the cache and there are times when I won’t need to use the histogram. I don’t use the over exposure warnings as I find them distracting. Perhaps that will buy me some more CPU overhead.

I didn’t think of the aging battery throttling the CPU. This battery was put in about two years ago but I can tell that it starts to empty prematurely throughout the day. I will definitely have to do something about this. Unfortunately Covid has been a major destroyer of income and they don’t see that changing for a few more months.

Reactions: Rchawks
If you backup your phone on itunes, erase the phone back to new and restore from backup. Junk piles up and clogs up the phone after awhile. Just like a computer ;)

I now have an iPhone 6sPlus
The iPhone 6 came out in 2014.
In tech terms, it's an antique, with a slow processor and only 1GB of RAM.
It's just not up to the task of running the demanding DJI app.
Androids, while less expensive are only a bit less expensive in the long term picture and (sadly) not as DJI friendly as Apple.
Sadly this myth just won't go away.
DJI apps run just as well on Android as Apple operating systems.
There are many great Android flying phones or tablets.

Vindibona1:

Before you spend any money, call Apple Care! 1-800-275-2273. Follow the prompts. You will be asked what device you are calling about. Hopefully, they will be able to help. I have done this for years without a service agreement. Be prepared to give them the IMEI number of your phone. Settings>General>About>IMEI

They may also ask for your device Serial Number. Also Settings>About>Serial Number

Ask the online tech to do a screen share with you. They will ask for your e-mail and voila! You will see their little red arrow on your screen. They will help you identify any data that can be discarded to free up some memory. Hope this helps.

Dale
Miami

Memory can be a problem, but the most likely cause is that you have many apps running in the background. Stopping an app with the home button does not fully stop the app. A process from it is still running. The only way to completely stop an app is to hold the home button down long enough for all the app icons to start jiggling. Then swipe up quickly on all the apps you don’t need when you are flying.

It takes cpu resources and memory to have all these processes running in the background.

Memory can be a problem, but the most likely cause is that you have many apps running in the background. Stopping an app with the home button does not fully stop the app. A process from it is still running. The only way to completely stop an app is to hold the home button down long enough for all the app icons to start jiggling. Then swipe up quickly on all the apps you don’t need when you are flying.

It takes cpu resources and memory to have all these processes running in the background.
Yes- going to the apps controls and stop them from running in the background also helps, but I'd still call AppleCare to have them help you clean out your unwanted stuff. They bring up stuff on my screen I never knew even existed! (screen sharing).

I use a 6s. I have seen that message several times with the fly app. I think it's a false alarm. My 6s continues performs perfectly. It does suffer from screen dimming in high temps but I've learned to expect that and fly accordingly.

I saw a suggestion here to put the ipad into airplane mode. I get CPU loaded as soon as the app connects but I tried airplane mode with bluetooth off, and it seems to have done the trick. No CPU loaded message. Running ipad pro with dji fly on an Air 2.

Reactions: dart106
Video subtitle won't matter. That's done by the AC as it records to the SD installed on the AC. It isn't the ACs CPU that's overloaded.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580