DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CPU Overheated Mavic 2 Pro

zacharythomas

Reactions
My drone all of a sudden gives me a message saying the processor is overheating and begins to RTH. I have taken the top cover off and the fan seems to be perfectly clean. I have updated it to the latest firmware. While updating the firmware, the fan seems to be going to full throttle. When I try to fly it, the fan does come on but not as powerful or as frequently as it used to. Has anyone been able to fix this issue without sending it in? I use my drone for work and can't really afford to wait weeks..

Welcome to the forum from the deserts of Arizona! Enjoy.

@zacharythomas let’s see if the new firmware makes a difference. In Arizona with ambient temps to 104 degrees F and wind less than 5 mph I often hover for 22-24 min at 100’ AGL using a full battery to 10-20% and no warnings about anything, heat included.

The fan will run faster while not flying (during firmware updates) as it isn’t get as much air passing through.

What temperature are you flying in when you get the warning?

The fan will run faster while not flying (during firmware updates) as it isn’t get as much air passing through.

What temperature are you flying in when you get the warning?
I’m in Florida, so in the summer I’ve flown in 90-100° But I didn’t get message until a few days ago when it was around 60°.

I wouldn’t have expected that at 60. You mentioned the fan was clear, anything blocking the air vents?

No crashes?

If you were doing a time lapse or panorama then an increase in temperature could be expected being in a hover IF the environment al temperature was higher.

Has the warning only appeared the once and no further alarms?

I wouldn’t have expected that at 60. You mentioned the fan was clear, anything blocking the air vents?

No crashes?

If you were doing a time lapse or panorama then an increase in temperature could be expected being in a hover IF the environment al temperature was higher.

Has the warning only appeared the once and no further alarms?
No crashes. The drone looks practically new inside and out. I only have 13 hours on it. I get the message and it won’t take off. I restart both the drone and controller and it will work fine. But later when I turn it on again it will give me the message immediately after turning on and will prevent me from taking off. I can’t tell if it’s a software issue or hardware. The fan works when it is plugged into the computer updating but when I turn it on to fly the fan some times turns on but not for long.

With electronics like that used in the aircraft there are few things that can cause this situation:

Lack of airflow - blockage or failed fan.

Poor heatsink bonding so the heat isn’t transferring from the electronics to the heatsink efficiently.

Faulty temperature sensor.

The fan is speed controlled and if the electronics are genuinely overheating the fan should be running at full speed when you are seeing this error message.

As mentioned, when firmware updates are done the fan will run faster to compensate for the poorer airflow while props are not running. Some pilots here run a large desk fan on the aircraft during updates.

If you post the logs from one of the flights that shows the error one of the guys on the forum while be able to analyse the data, which may point to the cause.

My drone all of a sudden gives me a message saying the processor is overheating and begins to RTH. I have taken the top cover off and the fan seems to be perfectly clean. I have updated it to the latest firmware. While updating the firmware, the fan seems to be going to full throttle. When I try to fly it, the fan does come on but not as powerful or as frequently as it used to. Has anyone been able to fix this issue without sending it in? I use my drone for work and can't really afford to wait weeks..

I had the same issue and sent my bird back the DJI and the fixed for free (had no warranty )

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lboogie007