DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crack

aaronperez321

Reactions
Hey guys new flyer
I recently was messing around with all the features the mini 2 has and used the spiral I had the idea that it sensed whenever near something it ended up crashing and got cracked on top everything else is fine thankfully. I do have insurance but wonder if it’s worth using the insurance or just buying a new shell? What do you guys suggest?

Attachments

• 89E22038-5A36-42E4-BF06-25356F7D728F.jpeg
    89E22038-5A36-42E4-BF06-25356F7D728F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 100
Would a DIY repair invalidate insurance and or warranty?
What is the cause of the crack, i.e. did the drone hit something that penetrated the shell or is it due to something flexing?
If flexing check for other damage. Do the arms feel the same and sitting evenly etc..

There isn't a lot under the crack area bar the gimbal and its cables, (have a look at dismantling videos to see what is there ), can you confirm the gimbal and camera work?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would buy a new shell.

Consider getting the Mini Wet Suit it will cover that up nicely , keep the wind out and not void the warranty and be a quick fix . Being new there may be more close calls.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Land on the Water.

@aaronperez321 if you attempt any sort of repair yourself ,be it a new shell or some sort of glue repair it will invalidate the care refresh package ,all drones have certain,fixings screws that have a glue plug in the head of the screw to show if the drone has been opened, the mini also has a sticker just inside the battery compartment that seals between the two parts of the main body of the drone and this has to be removed or cut to get the body apart although the drone appears to be working ok an impact that would cause that amount of damage to the shell could have also done damage inside as well ,personally i would use my care refresh to get a replacement drone
this is just my advice ,and others may think differently

I would just buy an inexpensive skin... it would make the damage unnoticeable and dress up the drone at the same time. Alternatively PhantomRain's wet suit would be an actual upgrade that would let you fly in the rain and would only cost as much as using the Care Refresh. Neither solution would void the warranty..

Reactions: SkittleBob
@aaronperez321 if you attempt any sort of repair yourself ,be it a new shell or some sort of glue repair it will invalidate the care refresh package ,all drones have certain,fixings screws that have a glue plug in the head of the screw to show if the drone has been opened, the mini also has a sticker just inside the battery compartment that seals between the two parts of the main body of the drone and this has to be removed or cut to get the body apart although the drone appears to be working ok an impact that would cause that amount of damage to the shell could have also done damage inside as well ,personally i would use my care refresh to get a replacement drone
this is just my advice ,and others may think differently
Would a DIY repair invalidate insurance and or warranty?
What is the cause of the crack, i.e. did the drone hit something that penetrated the shell or is it due to something flexing?
If flexing check for other damage. The arms feel the same and sitting evenly etc..

There isn't a lot under the crack area bar the gimbal and its cables, (have a look at dismantling videos to see what is there ), can you confirm the gimbal and camera work?
yes I did some test flights and everything seemed fine

Hey guys new flyer
I recently was messing around with all the features the mini 2 has and used the spiral I had the idea that it sensed whenever near something it ended up crashing and got cracked on top everything else is fine thankfully. I do have insurance but wonder if it’s worth using the insurance or just buying a new shell? What do you guys suggest?
I had an accident with my Air 2. The starboard front light was broken and just hanging there. I glued it back in place and it worked fine. I finally got tired of looking at the glue mess. I had Care Refresh. I sent it in and they immediately sent me a new Air 2. Apparently they were not concerned about the glue glob on the arm. The center I sent it to was in Fort Worth Texas

Hey guys new flyer
Not sure what you mean by "sensed whenever near something". The mini 2 only has bottom VPS for mostly landing and location related to horizontal position above the ground (making sure it's landing in the original takeoff location), not collision avoidance. Some don't like it but I once used the super glue / baking soda mix (just google it) to do a temporary repair on an arm during one of Melbournes world breaking long lockdowns (just google Melbourne lockdown!), simply because even Australia post wasn't working and the repair centre was shut down. No issues were encountered and as soon as the repair centre opened, the drone was sent in and fixed correctly.

JB Weld that thing, my mini 2 has so many cracks you'd think I bought in downtown chicago, JB Weld baby, stronger than before!

Hey guys new flyer
Just get the shell. Is inexpensive. $12.99

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada