DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cracked Camera Lens but doesnt show in pics

Airrage

Reactions
So I had a mishap the other day, Took a nose dive about 2 feet high into concrete. I did have a sun shield protector for gimble but no ND filter. ANYWAYS, This hairline crack does not show up in any of my pics and cant see it while flying! Is this possible?
crackgimbal by Dugco, on Flickr

If you can't see it in pics/video then sure it's possible. Might be a perfectly clean crack

The crack is too close to focus on, that's why you can't see it, it might show up in photo as an area where the focus is a bit soft or blurry.

If you set a smaller aperture the crack will be more visible in photos and video

It's not the lens, it's the lens shield. Others comments about focus are correct. I'd get it fixed though due to possible condensation issues.

Reactions: Former Member
The crack is too close to focus on, that's why you can't see it, it might show up in photo as an area where the focus is a bit soft or blurry.

If you set a smaller aperture the crack will be more visible in photos and video

While you're correct in principle the Mavic does not have variable aperture/DOF.

The angle to the sun or bright light might make it more apparent.

The crack will make it more susceptible to moisture getting into the lens, fogging from the inside, and then you will have to dry it out with a hair dryer.

I sell replacement camera barrels if you are handy with a screwdriver.
Thanks and yes I am handy, I watched a youtube video and seems pretty easy. They sell them on ebay pretty cheap. How much do you have them for?

As Mossiback stated above the bright sun might make it visible. The bright sun might show as a glare on the lens at the crack line.
That's what I thought but comparing videos and pics from before I had the crack I see no difference whatsoever. I am new to the settings and all its only a week old but I don't think its a problem yet to send it in or might not send it in at all . I rather pay the cheap price of what they cost to fix on ebay then to be without it for a month!!

That's what I thought but comparing videos and pics from before I had the crack I see no difference whatsoever. I am new to the settings and all its only a week old but I don't think its a problem yet to send it in or might not send it in at all . I rather pay the cheap price of what they cost to fix on ebay then to be without it for a month!!

You can try the eBay ones, but they are not DJI OEM products. I sell them for $49 shipped Paypal USA. All the ones I sell are new OEM DJI taken from new Mavics.

Reactions: ToddR and phoenix3
You can try the eBay ones, but they are not DJI OEM products. I sell them for $49 shipped Paypal USA. All the ones I sell are new OEM DJI taken from new Mavics.

Can I ask, why would they be taken off new Mavic's , is this for some sort of camera conversion ?

Reactions: teslar
Can I ask, why would they be taken off new Mavic's , is this for some sort of camera conversion ?

I sell OEM DJI parts because DJI doesnt sell parts, they just sell components. New parts can be trusted but the Chinese parts that are copied can not be trusted 100%.

So I had a mishap the other day, Took a nose dive about 2 feet high into concrete. I did have a sun shield protector for gimble but no ND filter. ANYWAYS, This hairline crack does not show up in any of my pics and cant see it while flying! Is this possible?
crackgimbal by Dugco, on Flickr

Ouch that looks bad. I feel your pain bud. But the good part is that the crack is now showing in Videos/Pictures

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143