DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crash: All was going well until minute 0:47...

acurth

Reactions

All was going nice and predictable until minute “0:47”. My plan was to simply follow the river’s flow, with the camera facing down until you could see the vastness of the waterfall - short easy clip. I go up and down in minute “0:53” to visually locate the Mavic against the background, and I start moving it forward, towards me. My guess is that the fly-forward angle was slightly off by a few degrees to the Mavic’s left and we both missed a branch that made it go a bit unstable (1:03) and then drifted on its own further to the left… it is there that it hits the rest of the branches that you can see in the footage and gets totally stuck… All I could think of at that point was to try to get it to free itself from the branches, that’s why you see it going left and right - I believe I would not have been able to retrieve it if it stayed there in those branches. As you can see in minute “1:35” some small branches broke and that is where the rather lucky spinning fall happened… a foot away from the actual waterfall on to the ground… slow-mo replay starts at 1:45. What a relief when I saw branches and leaves in my monitor screen (and not water and …)
When I looked for it with my binoculars, there he was, facing down, with one of the arms folded due to the fall, and the red blinking light… Retrieving it was no easy task, but double lucky to say that it was not that risky either. My Mavic now has a few scars in the arms, a slightly off-set back of the camera circular cover, but all functions work fine! I did put all 4 new props to the little guy even-though only 1 was damaged.

Reactions: dirkclod
shouldnt rely on the phone-tablet as an accurate visual,especially in low tight quarters like seen.
glad u got your bird back

Reactions: acurth
Your a lucky man ThumbswayupThumbswayup

yup,looked like it was poised for a wash job.

shouldnt rely on the phone-tablet as an accurate visual,especially in low tight quarters like seen.
glad u got your bird back

+1. In tight quarters, always use LOS. The lag (MS, seconds..) is enough to miss something critical. Its also very hard to gauge distance using the camera.
Glad you had a good outcome [emoji106]

+1. In tight quarters, always use LOS. The lag (MS, seconds..) is enough to miss something critical. Its also very hard to gauge distance using the camera.
Glad you had a good outcome [emoji106]
it may look good in front but the side views are killers which is why side OA is a must.

Pesky branches, nice looking video, glad you got MP back. Looked like it was ready to go swimming. Tough to fly FPV in tight quarters, sometimes tripod mode makes it easier.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme