DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crash during active track - why?

quirom

Reactions
I was doing left yaw, with the french flag as an active track target. Anyone knows why?
Thank you.
Edited: please look at the clip in post #3, sorry about that.

Last edited:
Basically I just did yaw slightly to the left, then suddenly it decided to approaches the flag, as if I pitch. It braked right before hitting the column (OA?). Eventually got hit by the flag.

Because the target you were tracking disappeared behind the other flag, and it tried to do whatever to continue seeing it...

Active track is visual recognition. If the thing you're tracking doesn't constantly stay clearly visible and unobstructed it's going to do random weird stuff.
Even if it stayed in view a flag isn't a good target since it constantly changes shape. That's going to get the aircraft to do incorrect moves.

Why you were doing left yaw, or why you were tracking the French flag?
I thought it would be nice to make the flag as target for a point of interest shot. Instead I used active track and yaw left to circle it. Does it sound reasonable to you?

Because the target you were tracking disappeared behind the other flag, and it tried to do whatever to continue seeing it...

Active track is visual recognition. If the thing you're tracking doesn't constantly stay clearly visible and unobstructed it's going to do random weird stuff.
Even if it stayed in view a flag isn't a good target since it constantly changes shape. That's going to get the aircraft to do incorrect moves.
Well it is weird to me if the drone tries to fly randomly after losing the target. Isnt it better to hover instead?

Well it is weird to me if the drone tries to fly randomly after losing the target. Isnt it better to hover instead?

It looks as if it is trying to reacquire the target by flying towards its last visible location. I suspect that those flags flapping around don't work well with the tracking algorithms. Can you post the log file for that flight?

Reactions: Thomas B
It looks as if it is trying to reacquire the target by flying towards its last visible location. I suspect that those flags flapping around don't work well with the tracking algorithms. Can you post the log file for that flight?
Nooby here, what log file and how can I post that?

Anyway it makes sense to me.

The flag was still somewhat visible but appeared smaller since a lot of it was hidden. When tracking something clearly visible, when it gets smaller that means it's going away, and the whole point of active track is to react by speeding up towards it to keep it in shot, and that's exactly what happened.
Activetrack is also programmed to try and find the target again when lost.

I thought it would be nice to make the flag as target for a point of interest shot.
In cases like this, use... the point of interest function which works on GPS location and not visual recognition. Active track is made to follow a moving target that is always in sight in an open setting without obstacles.

The flag was still somewhat visible but appeared smaller since a lot of it was hidden. When tracking something clearly visible, when it gets smaller that means it's going away, and the whole point of active track is to react by speeding up towards it to keep it in shot, and that's exactly what happened.
Activetrack is also programmed to try and find the target again when lost.

In cases like this, use... the point of interest function which works on GPS location and not visual recognition. Active track is made to follow a moving target that is always in sight in an open setting without obstacles.
This is very clear! Thanks a lot to help me to understand the active track function.
I should avoid the situation that there is something between the drone and the target.
"the target looks smaller that means it's going away, OK LET'S GO BLINDLY CHASING IT" sounds very scary to me.

Last edited:
By the way if anyone curious about the sound in the clip, it's me screaming "back off back off back off... FUKC ME!" lol

Pretty tight spot for an active track - poi above the trees would have been a better choice imo flying above tree line - looked a bit windy for tight spot flying

I agree. Active track is an easy and lazy way to do some orbit moves though!

It is I agree as well but sometimes active track doesn’t work as planned - this entire clip was dine in active track in wide open area - look at how many times I lose the tractor and look at the distances from the tractor change - not edited at all

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
It is I agree as well but sometimes active track doesn’t work as planned - this entire clip was dine in active track in wide open area - look at how many times I lose the tractor and look at the distances from the tractor change - not edited at all

Nice clip actually! What is the fastest way to stop active track if there is a problem? When my mavic approached the flag, I pulled back the right stick, no help at all. I guess using pause button on controller?

Nice clip actually! What is the fastest way to stop active track if there is a problem?
[To] Operate the aircraft manually (press the Flight Pause button or toggle the Flight Mode switch to S-mode on the remote controller) or tap X in DJI GO 4 in an emergency.

I was doing left yaw, with the french flag as an active track target. Anyone knows why?
Thank you.
Edited: please look at the clip in post #3, sorry about that.
As the flag disappeared behind the other flag, its image became smalle. Could the drone have misinterpreted that as moving away, and it was trying to follow?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji