DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crash in snow, what all should I check for damage?

MavicCF

Reactions
Hi y'all, today I had my second good crash with the Mavic. Up front, this was entirely pilot error so no blame goes to DJI. I just got back from a month long trip away from my Mavic and was super excited to be able to go out and fly again. I was running it around in sport mode at around 5-6' AGL to get some of my old racing thrills when my phone (an old Samsung S5) decided to glitch causing the screen to freeze in those colorful pixel patterns. I had seen slight rise in front of me and was already starting to pull up when this happened so I instinctively throttled up and backed off on the right stick, but not fast enough, camera feed came back just as the Mavic attempted what for an airplane would be a belly landing on the thin layer of slushy snow. With the front landing legs/antennas that just doesn't work and it cartwheeled 2 or 3 times folding in one arm and ripping two props off. I ran over to it (the motors shut themselves off thank goodness as I completely forgot too) and picked it up wiping the snow off of it. I only left in powered on for a few seconds as the snow was very wet and I didn't want anything frying, however, in those few seconds, I moved the Mavic around and the gimbal appeared to be functioning correctly and the video feed was fine. There aren't any cracks on the body or anything but I'm wondering if there is anything else I should check while and after it dries out. I'm hoping I got lucky and that the snow cushioned the impact, but I guess I will have to wait for it to dry out before I know for certain. Thanks for any ideas you can offer about checking for damage. -CF

Reactions: jimmyboards
The gimbal and the camera looks like it would have taken most of the impact, check the vibration board to see if it is still held on by all 4 rubber bands and the the rear tab is still hooked in.

Also check the saddle tabs at the rear for cracks, any play or misalignment, they stop the rear legs from rising up and causing a rear prop strike.

Reactions: MavicCF
If the gimbal is moving okay and video feed was on, you're really lucky. I don't think you can open your mavic without voiding the warranty, but often with with crashes your ribbon cables connectors might pop out of sockets. You will find that out eventually, when you power on your drone. If GO4 app report front vision error, compass error, blank battery info page (no info about battery), IMU error, or if you won't be able to do IMU calibration, keep in mind that this might be your problem.

I think I really did get super lucky. Gimbal bands all seem good and nothing else broken as far as I could tell. Powered it on and all systems were fine, no errors or anything! I couldn’t actually fly as that was the only set of props I had, but I did start up the motors and they all ran smoothly. I’m impressed that it was able to survive a 27MPH impact and multiple cartwheels without any damage, tough little bird! Thank you all for your helpful input! I guess I live to fly another day (once I get new props at least;)). -CF

I think I really did get super lucky. Gimbal bands all seem good and nothing else broken as far as I could tell. Powered it on and all systems were fine, no errors or anything! I couldn’t actually fly as that was the only set of props I had, but I did start up the motors and they all ran smoothly. I’m impressed that it was able to survive a 27MPH impact and multiple cartwheels without any damage, tough little bird! Thank you all for your helpful input! I guess I live to fly another day (once I get new props at least;)). -CF

When it dries out, you probably have to do all the calibrations again, imu, compass and gimbal.

When it dries out, you probably have to do all the calibrations again, imu, compass and gimbal.
Arrrgh, I was really hoping not too, is it needed because stuff was nocked out of wack because of the impact or because of potential wetness? Actually a gimbal calibration is easy, I just wanted to avoid IMU and compass if possible (because I’m lazy and have never had to do them before). If I have to, I guess I have plenty of time while I wait for new props. -CF

Arrrgh, I was really hoping not too, is it needed because stuff was nocked out of wack because of the impact or because of potential wetness? Actually a gimbal calibration is easy, I just wanted to avoid IMU and compass if possible (because I’m lazy and have never had to do them before). If I have to, I guess I have plenty of time while I wait for new props. -CF

It would be advisable to do at least IMU calibration to re baseline all the measurements, the unit works by detecting linear acceleration using accelerometers and rotational rate using the gyroscopes on the . Any large impact can change the baseline readings, which the IMU measures the differencs to and reacts to during flight.

The camera calibration is probably good to see if you've torn or damaged the gimbal cable

It would be advisable to do at least IMU calibration to re baseline all the measurements, the unit works by detecting linear acceleration using accelerometers and rotational rate using the gyroscopes on the . Any large impact can change the baseline readings, which the IMU measures the differencs to and reacts to during flight.

The camera calibration is probably good to see if you've torn or damaged the gimbal cable

Ok, if I remember right with the IMU calibration the AC needs to be perfectly flat? Also when doing a compass calibration should that be done in the yard vs inside the house because of the amount of interference from metal? Thank you so much for you help! -CF

Ok, if I remember right with the IMU calibration the AC needs to be perfectly flat? Also when doing a compass calibration should that be done in the yard vs inside the house because of the amount of interference from metal? Thank you so much for you help! -CF

Yes, a nice hard floor will do and outside for the compass calibration

Compass calibration is not necessary unless the app notifies you it needs to be done, I'd check out the DJI Go 4 detailed sensor page in the advanced settings to see what the interference levels are like.

Yes, a nice hard floor will do and outside for the compass calibration

Compass calibration is not necessary unless the app notifies you it needs to be done, I'd check out the DJI Go 4 detailed sensor page in the advanced settings to see what the interference levels are like.

Ok, sounds good, IMU calibration coming soon. I checked the compass interference and did a gimbal calibration, interference levels are low and gimbal calibration went perfectly! I'm still amazed it came through without a scratch! Thanks again for all your help I really appreciate you taking the time! -CF

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato