DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crash to a tree in normal mode

kaalakaz

Reactions

Had tested obstacle avoidance before on a bush and worked just fine. Did the same on a tree line and drone crashed directly to a tree line fell down to a pavement. What could be the fault here, why didnt the sensors work? I went straightforward, the trees were easily detectable and I was in normal mode. There wasnt any sun, just slight darkness

Obstacle Avoidance is not foolproof, it’s only intended to attempt avoiding a crash, it is not infallible especially with things like twigs, wire and mesh fencing.
Obstacle Avoidance doesn't necessarily stop crashes only good piloting dose that.
If you get into difficulty obstacle avoidance may get you out of it but do not rely on it.

No video. I had APAS, on, confirmed that 3 times. obstacle wasnt a branch or a wire, but a solid tree. It should have stopped and flown over, but instead it flew into it

Question is, does it look like my error or it would fall under warranty? I dont see pilots mistake here

The image of obstacles must bear some features or patterns with sufficient contrast in order to be seen by the 3D camera sensor. Is it possible that under " slight darkness", the leaves and branches have similar luminance so the tree cannot be detected by the sensor ? Without any video. It's hard to tell.

Last edited:
not pilot error? well taking off with 18% battery for a start is a no no, and if you look in the notifications you will see why it did not see the tree
sorry to be so blunt, but the whole flight was pilot error
apart from all that, welcome to the forum

Question is, does it look like my error or it would fall under warranty? I dont see pilots mistake here
Sorry, but this can't be classified as nothing else than a pilot error ... you treated the OD-system as it was totally failsafe & you most probably wasn't aware of it's limitations.

If you download the full 53 page user manual here --> https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_Air_2/20200615/Mavic_Air_2_User_Manual_v1.2_en_.pdf & read up on page 16-18 about the vision systems and on page 23 about APAS you will see that the OD-system is highly dependent of sufficient light to operate ... especially the APAS as that will not work at all if the downward vision sensors is not working.

Your flight log is littered with this ...

1603187720764.png

... meaning that it was way to dark to rely on any OD functionality.

No video. I had APAS, on, confirmed that 3 times. obstacle wasnt a branch or a wire, but a solid tree. It should have stopped and flown over, but instead it flew into it

Trees are not solid, they consist of branches and twigs.
If you rely on obstacle avoidance when around trees then unfortunately it is pilot error.

Welcome to the forum
Sorry it's not a happy introduction but....One very important thing you learn on this forum is to not rely on obstacle avoidance. It beeps and blinks and works most of the time but it's best to ignore that it's there.

Had tested obstacle avoidance before on a bush and worked just fine. Did the same on a tree line and drone crashed directly to a tree line fell down to a pavement. What could be the fault here, why didnt the sensors work? I went straightforward, the trees were easily detectable and I was in normal mode. There wasnt any sun, just slight darkness

I remember a discussion on the golf course. One of my friends was stating that trees were 90% air. (I forget the actual percentage but it was a high percentage). It appears that your drone was as good at hitting the 10% as my golf ball was. ? Maybe the obstacle avoidance system is seeing the 90% air???

Reactions: hiflyer201
100% pilot error. You took off with 18% battery! You purposely flew directly into a tree.
I’m curious, did you know about the downloadable manual that explains how the avoidance system works?
dji puts a quick startup guide in with every unit but does not include the actual manual. I think a lot of people don’t even know there is a manual they need to download, read, and understand before ever flying.

Reactions: pinballwiz86
The battery issue aside... scroll down on the linked page to get the full 60 page DJI manual for your drone in the language you choose.

I recently wracked my Air 2, in normal mode, into a barbed wire fence hidden by weeds. I mistakenly judged the distance I needed to clear a fence line but one of the props caught a weed branch which twisted the drone into the wire fence. No damage, just had to walk a ways to retrieve the drone.

I remember a discussion on the golf course. One of my friends was stating that trees were 90% air. (I forget the actual percentage but it was a high percentage). It appears that your drone was as good at hitting the 10% as my golf ball was. ? Maybe the obstacle avoidance system is seeing the 90% air???
Amen to Natgild comment. Dang golf ball can find the tree every time?

The only time the Obstacle sensors really seem to work well is when using them with RTH on a disconnect ;

Notice how the Phantom 4 gets saved. I will add this post to the list of the those that got bit by relying on the sensors .

Note: I was on the phone telling my girl that Phantom had flown away when it came back to the back yard on its own some 25 minutes latter.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzombie