DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crash with litchi app

mzfly

Reactions
Hello MavicPilots, I need your help.

I had a cash with my mavic yesterday and I think it was a malfunction of the Litchi App.

Here the Airdata link:
Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

I was flying low under trees, when suddenly with no warning before the low battery RTH jumped in. (at 32%).
The Mavic started to rise and before I could hit the stop button it did hit the trees an fell down.

Result: Camera broken

Can you please help me where is the mistake in the App or settings.
Mavic is at newest SW and I'm using iPhone 6s with newest Litchi app

Reactions: Wingo
Very sorry for your loss my friend. You took off with 35% battery which is very close to low battery RTH barrier. I never used litchi but I think that by default warning battery level is at 30%

Warning level would be ok, but it started RTH without any warning signs before.

Also the info in Airdata is "Battery at maximum distance"
That means to me that Litchi was thinking the Mavic needs an RTH to fly all the way back with the remaining batterie capacity.

But my homepoint was only 20m away.

I think there is a bug in the App somewhere

I cannot say why 20m distance should be the maximum distance for the battery at 32%. What battery levels did you set within GO4 before?

Not all Mavic settings are supported by Litchi, you have to do them within GO4 prior to flying with Litchi.
One of them is "Smart return to home" which is under "battery settings" within GO4.
If enabled this may lead to exactly your problem. It will kick in unexpectedly and may cause a crash if the Mavic is not in open space at this moment, allowing it to ascend to RTH altitude.
So, if flying below obstacles I recommend to switch off this feature and also change the "signal lost" behaviour to "hover" instead of initiating a RTH, as it can cause a similar crash.

The levels I set in DJI GO are RTH at 10% and warning at 20% bat level.
Smart return to home is enabled in DJI GO but it should not kick in at 32% bat level if the Mavic is only 20m away from it's homepoint.

Not sure how much clearance you had but are you sure a slight "breeze" was not blowing making the Mavic "lift"? (I know the Mavic is not to let that happen but I have seen it with mine many times. Seems "air currents" moving the Mavic take a few moments for the Mavic to adjust.)

If you look at the Airdata link the Mavic startet an RTH.
Als at the moment when the RTH was aktivated, the controller started beeping. In the same time the Mavic went to full upwards thrust.

I'm very shure, that it was no "breeze"

what is your return to home altitude set as?
if you have it set for eg 120m the mavic will take into account that during the rth function it will need to rise to that altitude before returning and then go down adding power and time to the rth function

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adsjr