DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crashed - DJI repair quotation and DJI care Refresh

Zele

Reactions
Hi all,

I am writing this strictly for people to be very aware of DJI repair quotation "scam". Why I say this?

Bought the drone in January 2019, of course I purchased DJI Care Refresh for Mavic 2 pro. Just in case.
I am not new to electric hobby as I had all sorts of electric RC stuff. Most of them I build by my self or upgraded and modded by my self.

I had a softer crash with Mavic 2 pro, totally my fault, I hit leaves on the tree with propeler, landing\fall was soft as under the tree there was a lot of dry grass on pile around 50cm high, so drone landed softly.

After the inspection, left front arm broke off and left rear army went above horizontal upwards (slight body damage which was preventing rear arm from going upwards was deformed) so both arms on left side where damaged with minimal body damage.
I tested the drone gimbal and was working as it should I could move camera to all sides no issues with gimbal. I tested the motors, all worked as it should. So basically the only thing damaged was both left arms and body (body the small part which stops the arm from going upwards). Basically the left front arm pin broke and that is why the arm fell of the drone. Left rear side of the body was just a bit deformed nothing big but of course damaged. Maybe 2 propellers had edges bend, so lets say propellers where damaged also. Could be a micro scratch on the stock camera exchangeable lens.

So I shipped the drone with battery to DJI even if I marked it shipping without battery, so I received DJI Repair Quotation assessments which are very hard to believe. It looks like a scam to pull the money out of costumer or could be they where just lazy and did not even inspect the drone damage.

I received this Damage report:

Materialliste
Item List
8743_Press-down Quick-release Propeller CCW

Anzahl: 2
Quantity
Zwischensumme nett: 5.04
Net Price
Gesamtbetrag brutto: 10.08
Total Price
8743_Press-down Quick-release Propeller CW
Quantity
Net Price
Total Price
Upper Cover Module
Anzahl: 1
Quantity
Zwischensumme nett: 10.92
Net Price
Gesamtbetrag brutto: 10.92
Total Price
Middle Frame Module
Quantity
Zwischensumme nett: 12.61
Net Price
Gesamtbetrag brutto: 12.61
Total Price
Lower Cover Module
Quantity
Zwischensumme nett: 20.17
Net Price
Gesamtbetrag brutto: 20.17
Total Price
Front Arm Module (Left)
Quantity
Zwischensumme nett: 23.53
Net Price
Gesamtbetrag brutto: 23.53
Total Price
Front Arm Module (Right)
Quantity
Net Price
Total Price
Rear Arm Module (Left)
Quantity
Net Price
Total Price
Rear Arm Module (Right)
Quantity
Net Price
Total Price
Core Board Heat Sink
Quantity
Zwischensumme nett: 1.68
Net Price
Gesamtbetrag brutto: 1.68
Total Price
Gimbal Axis Arm Module (Pro)
Quantity
Zwischensumme nett: 134.45
Net Price
Gesamtbetrag brutto: 134.45
Total Price
Gimbal ESC Board
Quantity
Zwischensumme nett: 38.66
Net Price
Gesamtbetrag brutto: 38.66
Total Price
Repair Service Fee
Quantity
Zwischensumme nett: 50.00
Net Price
Gesamtbetrag brutto: 100.00
Total Price
Versandkosten
Shipping Cost
Rabatt
Discount
Zwischensumme (Nettobetrag)
Total Net
USt. (19%)
TAX (19%)
Gesamtbetrag (Bruttobetrag) (EUR)
Total ( EUR )

-------------------------------------------------------------

Let me just remind you, I am not a noob in RC electric products and I am very well familiar with ESC and motors and in general with RC electrics.

What actually was damaged is (my damage report):

Quantity
Net Price
Total Price

Quantity
Net Price
Total Price

Upper Cover Module
Quantity
Net Price
Total Price

Front Arm Module (Left)
Quantity
Net Price
Total Price

Rear Arm Module (Left)
Quantity
Net Price
Total Price

Repair Service Fee

Quantity
Net Price
Gesamtbetrag brutto: 50.00
Total Price

So total damage Quotation should be around 110€, which is basically same as DJI care refresh option which I did use and payed.

What is bothers me is that DJI repair team listed all the parts of the Mavic 2 pro, even if they where not damaged which is totally unprofessional and basically a scam to pull out more money out of costumer. For example if I would not have DJI care Refresh, they would want me to pay a total of 507€ which is absurd as damage would be maximum for aprox. 110€. Probably not even that as front left arm was still ok, just a pin had to be changed. I will say this, if DJI would provide me with replacement parts I would fix the drone my self in maximum 1 hour.

So guys in case you do not have DJI care refresh and you do crash your drone, make sure you check what it works and what is actually damaged before you ship the drone for repairs as DJI repair team will try to screw you and pull maximum possible amount of money from you even if parts are not damaged!

I must say I am disappointed at the DJI German Repair service.

So guys, it is good to get DJI Care Refresh when buying Mavic drones as otherwise you can get scammed.

Regards

Reactions: Former Member
So do I understand correctly that they want you to pay more than the fee stated in the DJI refresh agreement you purchased?

DJI usually always provides a costumer with Damage report in case you decide not to use DJI care Refresh.

The issue is DJI repair service added to damage report more than there was to the damage.

Damaged was:
- 2 left arms
- Upper body cover module
- Propellers

Their report damage says basically everything is wrong with Mavic 2 pro. Like Gimbal, ESC and so on which is not true as I personally tested the gimbal, camera, motors, ESC....

DJI usually always provides a costumer with Damage report in case you decide not to use DJI care Refresh.

The issue is DJI repair service added to damage report more than there was to the damage.

Damaged was:
- 2 left arms
- Upper body cover module
- Propellers

Their report damage says basically everything is wrong with Mavic 2 pro. Like Gimbal, ESC and so on which is not true as I personally tested the gimbal, camera, motors, ESC....

you are on the refresh program. so you do not pay for parts. they replace a whole bird instead of repairing broken elements and made an automated report listing all those parts the model consists of.
what are you not happy about?

but, anyway, if that is a legit concern, and it may be so, why not to escalate with the customer service?

you are on the refresh program. so you do not pay for parts. they replace a whole bird instead of repairing broken elements and made an automated report listing all those parts the model consists of.
what are you not happy about?

Its not about not being happy. Its about the way DJI repair presented the damage report to me. They listed way too many report damages that it actually was on the Mavic 2 pro.

Basically their report includes whole Mavic 2 pro as damaged. Which is not true.

Of course I used DJI care Refresh, but if I would not have it, DJI would try to screw me over to pay 507€ in damages while the true damage was not that big.

Of course there is a possibility I could be wrong and damage is bigger than I think, but for sure not 507€ big damage.

All I am saying is people withouth DJI care refresh should be aware of this.

i do not disagree with you, it may be the case.
i personally would use a 3rd party private repair if out of warranty or refresh program, or would do the work myself. i just do not think it is as complicated as a deliberate effort to misinform you or get more money out of you - real life is usually way more simple than that. it is same as the apple repair service report - autogenerated. you went to replace a keyboard and you get a printout with a total list of all parts in the laptop and a total cost of $1200 - but $0 is your responsibility and a new keyboard is in.

from other perspective - i would not be terribly surprised if after even a mild crash whole plastic insides of a M2P get damaged and all components are dislocated. it is just not made to be dropped as a solid carbon fiber racer. as i took gimbal out - all the bolts are flimsy, nuts are brass, and sit in plastic mounts, and, well, it is just plastic. if arm is torn out from a socket it may do a lot of damage inside.
it would be really cool if some 3rd party would make a solid carbon fiber body for the mavic, eventually, that would be nice. i am used to fly my armattans, you hit a concrete with them and a concrete gets chipped... not the model.

Hi all,

I am writing this strictly for people to be very aware of DJI repair quotation "scam". Why I say this?

Bought the drone in January 2019, of course I purchased DJI Care Refresh for Mavic 2 pro. Just in case.
I am not new to electric hobby as I had all sorts of electric RC stuff. Most of them I build by my self or upgraded and modded by my self.

I had a softer crash with Mavic 2 pro, totally my fault, I hit leaves on the tree with propeler, landing\fall was soft as under the tree there was a lot of dry grass on pile around 50cm high, so drone landed softly.

After the inspection, left front arm broke off and left rear army went above horizontal upwards (slight body damage which was preventing rear arm from going upwards was deformed) so both arms on left side where damaged with minimal body damage.
I tested the drone gimbal and was working as it should I could move camera to all sides no issues with gimbal. I tested the motors, all worked as it should. So basically the only thing damaged was both left arms and body (body the small part which stops the arm from going upwards). Basically the left front arm pin broke and that is why the arm fell of the drone. Left rear side of the body was just a bit deformed nothing big but of course damaged. Maybe 2 propellers had edges bend, so lets say propellers where damaged also. Could be a micro scratch on the stock camera exchangeable lens.

So I shipped the drone with battery to DJI even if I marked it shipping without battery, so I received DJI Repair Quotation assessments which are very hard to believe. It looks like a scam to pull the money out of costumer or could be they where just lazy and did not even inspect the drone damage.

I received this Damage report:

Materialliste
Item List

Quantity
Net Price
Total Price
Quantity
Net Price
Total Price
Upper Cover Module
Quantity
Net Price
Total Price
Middle Frame Module
Quantity
Zwischensumme nett: 12.61
Net Price
Gesamtbetrag brutto: 12.61
Total Price
Lower Cover Module
Quantity
Net Price
Total Price
Front Arm Module (Left)
Quantity
Net Price
Total Price
Front Arm Module (Right)
Quantity
Net Price
Total Price
Rear Arm Module (Left)
Quantity
Net Price
Total Price
Rear Arm Module (Right)
Quantity
Net Price
Total Price
Core Board Heat Sink
Quantity
Zwischensumme nett: 1.68
Net Price
Gesamtbetrag brutto: 1.68
Total Price
Gimbal Axis Arm Module (Pro)
Quantity
Zwischensumme nett: 134.45
Net Price
Gesamtbetrag brutto: 134.45
Total Price
Gimbal ESC Board
Quantity
Zwischensumme nett: 38.66
Net Price
Gesamtbetrag brutto: 38.66
Total Price
Repair Service Fee
Quantity
Net Price
Gesamtbetrag brutto: 100.00
Total Price
Versandkosten
Shipping Cost
Rabatt
Discount
Zwischensumme (Nettobetrag)
Total Net
USt. (19%)
TAX (19%)
Gesamtbetrag (Bruttobetrag) (EUR)
Total ( EUR )

-------------------------------------------------------------

Let me just remind you, I am not a noob in RC electric products and I am very well familiar with ESC and motors and in general with RC electrics.

What actually was damaged is (my damage report):

Quantity
Net Price
Total Price

Quantity
Net Price
Total Price

Upper Cover Module
Quantity
Net Price
Total Price

Front Arm Module (Left)
Quantity
Net Price
Total Price

Rear Arm Module (Left)
Quantity
Net Price
Total Price

Repair Service Fee

Quantity
Net Price
Gesamtbetrag brutto: 50.00
Total Price

So total damage Quotation should be around 110€, which is basically same as DJI care refresh option which I did use and payed.

What is bothers me is that DJI repair team listed all the parts of the Mavic 2 pro, even if they where not damaged which is totally unprofessional and basically a scam to pull out more money out of costumer. For example if I would not have DJI care Refresh, they would want me to pay a total of 507€ which is absurd as damage would be maximum for aprox. 110€. Probably not even that as front left arm was still ok, just a pin had to be changed. I will say this, if DJI would provide me with replacement parts I would fix the drone my self in maximum 1 hour.

So guys in case you do not have DJI care refresh and you do crash your drone, make sure you check what it works and what is actually damaged before you ship the drone for repairs as DJI repair team will try to screw you and pull maximum possible amount of money from you even if parts are not damaged!

I must say I am disappointed at the DJI German Repair service.

So guys, it is good to get DJI Care Refresh when buying Mavic drones as otherwise you can get scammed.

Regards

Sorry to hear about your crash. What happened to you is what I call "dealer syndrome." I take my car to the dealer for a $30 oil change, and they come out with an estimate for $1000 of the other repairs I need. It happened to me a few times, so I stopped taking it to the dealer for an oil change, and take it to Jiffy Lube. They do the oil change, and give me the keys back.

from other perspective - i would not be terribly surprised if after even a mild crash whole plastic insides of a M2P get damaged and all components are dislocated. it is just not made to be dropped as a solid carbon fiber racer. as i took gimbal out - all the bolts are flimsy, nuts are brass, and sit in plastic mounts, and, well, it is just plastic. if arm is torn out from a socket it may do a lot of damage inside.
it would be really cool if some 3rd party would make a solid carbon fiber body for the mavic, eventually, that would be nice. i am used to fly my armattans, you hit a concrete with them and a concrete gets chipped... not the model.

Drone fell on the 50cm big pile of dried grass, so landing was very soft. Front left arm dislocated as the pin holding the arm broke off, indicating that arm did receive a hit, probably from the tree sticks falling down.

Carbon fiber would be nice if it reduces weight. Less weight, more flying time. Otherwise it would be just an expensive replacment in case it breaks from the crash. Also dont know if DJI Care Refresh still valid if for example we upgrade it to carbon fiber body...

Anyway it is what it is now.

Sorry to hear about your crash. What happened to you is what I call "dealer syndrome." I take my car to the dealer for a $30 oil change, and they come out with an estimate for $1000 of the other repairs I need. It happened to me a few times, so I stopped taking it to the dealer for an oil change, and take it to Jiffy Lube. They do the oil change, and give me the keys back.

Thanks!
Do you know in case I would ever do my own "repairs" of the drone and for example later I do have a bad crash, does DJI care refresh still applies if I for example repair a smaller damage by my self?

Drone fell on the 50cm big pile of dried grass, so landing was very soft. Front left arm dislocated as the pin holding the arm broke off, indicating that arm did receive a hit, probably from the tree sticks falling down.

Carbon fiber would be nice if it reduces weight. Less weight, more flying time. Otherwise it would be just an expensive replacment in case it breaks from the crash. Also dont know if DJI Care Refresh still valid if for example we upgrade it to carbon fiber body...

Anyway it is what it is now.

Do you know in case I would ever do my own "repairs" of the drone and for example later I do have a bad crash, does DJI care refresh still applies if I for example repair a smaller damage by my self?

Thats a good question. If you do your own repairs and fail, are you still covered by DJI Refresh? Here is what the Refresh agreement says:

10. Damage resulting from modifications that are not in accordance with manual recommendations, or the use of incompatible batteries and charger.

Reactions: Zele
I understand what the OP is getting at. DJI does its assessment and submits an invoice for repair to give the owner the option of using refresh or paying for a repair and it seems that DJI found more things to fix than the OP felt were broken. It is possible that DJI found things that were "weakened" but still operable but might fail soon. They probably had earlier cases of repairing just the obvious damage only to have a complaint soon after of another part failing. It is also possible that as @Thunderdrones mentioned they are piling on to either force the easier replacement option or make the repair worth their time.

If you choose the express option they will not even do a damage assessment. You will receive a unit that is "new or equivalent to new in performance and reliability".

I understand what the OP is getting at. DJI does its assessment and submits an invoice for repair to give the owner the option of using refresh or paying for a repair and it seems that DJI found more things to fix than the OP felt were broken. It is possible that DJI found things that were "weakened" but still operable but might fail soon. They probably had earlier cases of repairing just the obvious damage only to have a complaint soon after of another part failing. It is also possible that as @Thunderdrones mentioned they are piling on to either force the easier replacement option or make the repair worth their time.

If you choose the express option they will not even do a damage assessment. You will receive a unit that is "new or equivalent to new in performance and reliability".

I used DJI Care Refresh as I didnt have paypal few days ago so I couldnt use express option. Should arrive in few days and I will be in the air again.

Thank you all for replies.

I had a similar experience with Mavic Pro. They wanted to replace practically everything even transmitter with tiny crack in screen. Over $1000 ha ha ha. I didn’t have care at all. I bought a M2P with care refresh. Dji won...

No been really trying to find a use for it. It is in bad shape, it got “eaten” by a snowmobile track. But still seems to power up with 2 beeps rather than 3

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member