DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crashed MA2… now what?

MassCoyote

Reactions
UPDATE: A friend of mine was able to climb the tree and recover the drone. Unfortunately, after it rained all night. A leg was cracked and the gimbal was loose. I immediately initiated a DJI Refresh service and mailed it.
———- original post ——-
Just crashed my Mavic air 2. It appears a helicopter flew fast and low in the area and my drone seemed to just drop, right in a tree. Neither I or the local PD could get it. I flew my DJI Mini 2 and took a picture of it upside down high in a tree. BTW. That building in the back of the photo is much further away than it looks.

Now what? What would you do? It is FAA registered and I do have DJI Refresh.

ADF1952F-E69F-4522-A311-F98A5C8EF913.jpeg

Last edited:
There are several options to get the drone down. PVC pipe is cheap (long) and could be used to shake the drone loose or tie string around a baseball and throw it up into the tree. The fact you have the refresh insurance lessens your concern about the drone getting damaged while falling out of the tree. Good luck.

An addition to the above methods by muchuckwagon, if you can't throw that high, get a large water balloon launcher (slingshot) and launch it up there.
Heck, launch water balloons at it and have some fun.

A fishing pole with sinkers on the line will work if you're any good at casting up to snag a branch and shake it.

A tree service company may help for fee as they have all of the goodies to deal with a tree.

If all else fails, a windy day may blow it out from the tree and crash to the ground.

Good luck. :)

A tree trimmer would have all the tools and skills to climb the tree and either retrieve the drone or cut the limb holding it up.

A few fpv guys I know use a trailer ball hitch tied to a rope and toss it up in the trees to shake the limbs. It’s simple but it works.

Adding that to my list. ?

Arborists use a throw bag or a launcher. Some launchers have a fishing reel. Wrist rocket would work. You throw/launch a smaller line, let it drop and attach a heavier line capable of yanking the branch.

Reactions: MA2 317
Might find a tree service that offers flat rate drone retrieval. Maybe offer them a aerial video of the retrieval for their advertising. Even trade, everybody wins

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada