DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

crashed MPP on the 4th day

DTG173

Reactions
So, I started researching drones to add a new aspect to videoing my son racing MX. I wanted to start out with a cheapo drone as I've never flown before. Enter my son who has a friend who is an avid and very good videographer and the decision to purchase a Mavic Pro Platinum was made. My son (18) went in half with me as I balked about the spending of money to likely crash. Got the MPP and took baby steps learning the controls and flying taking video etc. Not my son... "come on Dad, it's easy" says the kid who grew up playing video games.
Fast forward to day 4 and a total of 4.25 hrs of flight time. I suggested we go to the beach for some sunset flying and pictures. My son, because we live in the woods, says "sure, but let me check the cloud cover first" as he heads out to the deck. I asked him not to launch from the deck due to the canopy of trees and small window to get through, but he assured me he'd done it before....on day three???
So he takes his half of the drone up through the trees as I watch to make sure my half makes it and "Skully" was out of harms way in seconds. The determination was made that the beach was a go and he began to bring the drone back for landing...through the canopy of trees, on the deck. Not sure if it was pilot error or malfunction(my son's claim) but the next thing I hear is a weed whacker coming through the trees before I see his half of the drone careening towards the ground dragging my half with it.
After several choice words damage was assessed. Naturally the props were done and one front landing leg was bent/broke, but visually that was it. I put new props on and took it for a test flight(in open space) and found it to fly fine but the gimbal is overloaded and doesn't work.
My son's idea was to just pay me off for the drone and let it sit... I know he is working his butt off before college and has the cash, but that isn't a financially wise decision and I wasn't about to let him make it. Besides, wheres the lesson learned? NOPE, I want MY half of the drone fixed, and YOU will figure out how to get it done, and pay for it.
So it just completed its painfully long "pony express" journey to DJI in Texas where it will hopefully be repaired and not replaced seeing as it has a total of 4 hours flight time on it. Of course for the last 4 days of UPS ground(hence pony express comment) I have been reading horror stories about DJI repairs and am keeping fingers crossed this won't turn into one. Really hope they just fix the gimbal ribbon and assess to see all is well and send me original drone and controller back in the DJI box I sent it in. We shall see, I'll update experience as it unfolds.
Thanks for reading.

Sorry for the mishap
do you have dji care?
No I didn't get the DJI care. I made the decision to ship directly back to DJI before even joining this forum. I didn't know of repair options such as your company.
Hindsight is 20/20.

you should be in good hands dealing w/ the manufacturer. Other than the leg ($30 part) if the gimbal is bad than a new gimbal runs about $250, however you may get lucky and its the ribbon (a few bux ) labor is about an hr
good thing about the mp and mpp is the gimbal doesn't cost $700+ like the m2p amd p4p

BTW welcome aboard to the largest mavic community in the world & keep us posted

If any questions, tips or advise is needed, just ask as there are many fine folks here that will ans.

Reactions: DTG173
Hope the repair isn't too pricey. I also really hope your son can learn from his mistake (and owns it). It was almost certainly pilot error, and it seems like his "it'll be fine, dad" attitude may be a liability moving forward with him as pilot in command. It's great you're making him fix it, and I wish you both well!

Hope the repair isn't too pricey. I also really hope your son can learn from his mistake (and owns it). It was almost certainly pilot error, and it seems like his "it'll be fine, dad" attitude may be a liability moving forward with him as pilot in command. It's great you're making him fix it, and I wish you both well!

Thanks. I agree on the "no problem" attitude not just with drone flying, but life. It's another life lesson he learned and hopefully remembers!

Reactions: vail
Not sure if it was pilot error or malfunction(my son's claim)
Flying too close to obstacles is the number one cause of crashes.
As described, pilot error is the most likely cause of this incident.
But it's easy to confirm by checking the recorded flight data to see if it indicates any malfunction.
To do that:
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

I’m 99% sure you will get a refurbished drone in return. Dji rarely sends back your original drone no matter how much flight time you have on it.

I’m 99% sure you will get a refurbished drone in return. Dji rarely sends back your original drone no matter how much flight time you have on it.
or another repaired drone

the way I see it as long as to works but I totally understand the those who want only their toy without a swap

Loved your story writing talent, sorry for your loss. Positive thoughts for you and your son, hoping it all works out OK.

After more than 1100 flights on my MPP, the gimbal started randomly jiggling around, so I opened up a ticket with DJI. They had me send it (with a prepaid shipping label) to the Texas facility as well. In about two weeks, I got an email with their damage assessment:

Gimbal Axis Arm Module: $59
Repair Service Fee: $65
CA Sales tax: $.4.72
TOTAL: $128.72

This seemed totally reasonable, but since I had paid for the DJI Refresh program, I went with that, instead.

One thing in the fine print about the DJI Refresh that I didn't recall reading (my bad), is the $89 service fee associated with it when you make a "claim".

But still cheap for a "like new" MPP that looks brand new and works like a brand new one. I tried to talk them into letting me get both the replacement MPP AND paying $128.72 for a "backup" drone after they repaired it, but they wouldn't go for it, lol.

Well, so far the repair process hasn’t been awful. Been getting good timely updates from DJI. As suspected, pilot error was direct cause of crash. Gimbal axis motor arm, front leg, and new props with 2 hours of labor for a total of $235.00 is about what I expected.
I’ve had numerous contacts with DJI support requesting repair and return of my “Skully” with less than 5 hours flight time so we’ll see how that works out. Should’ve asked for expedited shipping too, but son heads off to college in two weeks and it could be safer if it arrives after....?
Now I’m just hoping to get package back looking like it did when I started this process.
414E8741-72A9-4EEC-B761-F01BC0D13F80.jpeg82ADB638-B962-40B3-A79A-5FEADB0B793F.jpeg

*update*
Got confirmation that repair to MY drone was completed and MY drone was being shipped. However, it’s not the same serial number.?
Expressed my concerns, via the “customer satisfaction” survey, about getting a refurbished drone with an unknown history as replacement for my brand new lightly used one. Yes, it was crashed, but damage was minor and I knew that.
Reply from DJI was that the drone shipped is not a refurbished one as there is no “S” or “R” in 5th from last position of serial number. Not sure what I’ll find when package finally gets here next week. Hopefully it will be an “equal or better product” as the website claims.
Word of mouth is great for advertising. It’s easy to have a big mouth on the internet!

Reply from DJI was that the drone shipped is not a refurbished one as there is no “S” or “R” in 5th from last position of serial number.
How about a 0? Because that too indicates a refub unit I think, since I bought a refub from DJI and it too has no S or R. But really, DJI refubs are as good as new so don't be too concerned about that.

Got the replacement today. Different drone and controller sent back in my original box. Looks to be equivalent to the one I sent in(new). Not sure why they sent a different controller back? It wasn’t linked to the drone either.

Just don’t get the process they use for replacement. My drone had minor damage but it was replaced anyway. This was after numerous emails requesting repair and return of my specific equipment, and being told they would do so. And if they’re just taking one off the shelf, why did it take 3 days to decide which one to put in the box? It actually took a total of 2 weeks with shipping for the process as I am in the northeast. Nonetheless I am back in the air now.

Am I being petty? Probably. But I equate it to doing minor damage to a brand new car with 100 miles and having it replaced with one with 50,000 miles that was possibly destroyed.
Lesson learned. If you want your specific drone repaired and are paying(not refresh or warranty) don’t send it back to DJI. Otherwise I guess it’s all good.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580