DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crashed my Mavic 2 Pro because of CSC stick input settings :(

Enzo Creation

Reactions
Hi All,

My Name is Jonathan SAYEB and i'm a small Photography and Videography business owner in Vietnam. I've just purchased the new Mavic 2 Pro to add to our current Phantom 4 Pro and today while shooting for a big resort in Phu Quoc island (Vietnam), the drone litteraly fell from the sky for no apparent reasons (lucky me it crashed on the beach sand and only the gimbal seems to be broken). I've read everything i could find and apparently i'm not the only case.

Please note that i'm well aware of the user error thing but I promise that I didn't do anything "abnormal" and also I've been flying intensively our phantom 4 pro since it came (almost 2 years) without ever a scrach to it. Also, just to make things clear, litteraly minutes after the crash I asked our staff to buy a 2nd Mavic 2 Pro because our business cannot afford to be without drone for weeks (especially after now reading all the horror stories with the support). And actually, i would have prefered that it would have been my fault so at least i wouldn't get paranoid like now.

My real concern is what are the odds that such thing happens again? I've contacted DJI support asking for a clear answer about "possible Mavic 2 Pro malfunction" as I was very lucky that it didn't crash on the head of one of the hotel guest and if there is a defect (been reading about some possible board overheating issue, BTW was on my 2nd battery straight flight) but the agent kept repeating to send it for repair without even considering my real concern about another "non-user related" failure. The only thing I'd like to know, and DJI should have the honesty to tell us, could there be a chance of malfunction on this serie of drone.

Sorry for the long post but to finish it all up, We've got a super important shoot for a "Golf Legend" in Dubai this saturday and i'm planning to bring both the Phantom 4 Pro (which have been nothing but super reliable) and the 2nd Mavic 2 pro we just got while the other is sent for repair and "analysis" and the only thing i'm really concerned is the thing falling on his head which our business insurance surely wouldn't be big enough :D

Cheers and Looking forward to hearing your experience!

Last edited:
Reactions: Makram
Did you find anything interesting in the flight log?

Reactions: Dave Maine
Good luck Enzo. I'm personally not holding my breath that they'll do much of anything for you personally. In my opinion, until the FTC or some other governmental organization absolutely FORCES them to acknowledge some sort of an issue...then they'll obfuscate and deny to the end IMHO. I'll be interested to see what some folks here think if you retained the flight logs and are able to share them.

Thank you guys for your replies, i managed to get the log from my phone as i couldn't get the one from DJI assistant 2. Here it is and let me know if you see anything weird appart from it just falling :D

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2018-11-15_[17-25-38]log.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 119
Reactions: jeffcutler
You did a CSC mid-flight and stopped your motors :(

CSC.png

Thank you so much Msinger, i checked on the remote and it was set on "always" which I believe means that it would all the CSC anytime you input this command with the sticks. Really feels much better now that i know it was my mistake :D Anyhow in case anybody experiences the same problem you now know where to look :p great Job msinger once again and the peeps at DJI really should do something for persons like you that spend the time to help others "much better and quicker than their own support team :D".
All the best and let's get that gimbal fixed :p

What's interesting to me is that this is at least the third time I've seen a "fall out of the sky" event due to a CSC. I'm not sure what to make of that... I mean, all of the drones I've had from DJI have all responded to a CSC in much the same way as far as I'm aware. Besides the fact that this all of these reports are anecdotal at best, is there something about the operation of the Mavic 2 that makes this "easier" to pull off or something that I'm not getting?I know I'm like uber-careful when I'm descending in fear of the thing "interpreting" that as the full down CSC for some reason or another.

Is that for all DJI drones?
Here's the setting for the Mavic 2:

DJI-GO-Stop-Motor-Method-Mavic2.jpg

Some DJI drones don't show the above setting and always default to the "For use in emergencies only" option. And some others (like the Phantom 4) have a different CSC combination that must be performed mid-flight to shut down the motors.

Reactions: wjtvet
Thank you so much Msinger, i checked on the remote and it was set on "always" which I believe means that it would all the CSC anytime you input this command with the sticks. Really feels much better now that i know it was my mistake :D Anyhow in case anybody experiences the same problem you now know where to look :p great Job msinger once again and the peeps at DJI really should do something for persons like you that spend the time to help others "much better and quicker than their own support team :D".
All the best and let's get that gimbal fixed :p

Just curious - the CSC is a very unusual stick combination, for obvious reasons. What were you trying to do with the sticks in those positions?

Last edited:
Unless there is some kind of malfunction...

I can see there would be scenarios where an emergency stoppage of the motors would be desirable. Perhaps if the drone veered into a crowd of people. But you have to wonder if you lost that much control whether it would respond to any input even the CSC.

@Enzo Creation was concerned that the drone might fall from the sky and land on someone's head. The solution is not to fly over people.

Just curious - the CSC is a very unusual stick combination, for obvious reasons. What were you trying to do with the sticks in those positions?
That's what I'm thinking. Down, backwards, yaw right while banking left or yaw left while banking right, all at the same time.

That's what I'm thinking. Down, backwards, yaw right while banking left or yaw left while banking right, all at the same time.

That’s a very cool aerial move however it is also the method for shutting down the motors so it’s to be avoided. But for cinematography, it’s actually a pretty cool look.

Id love to know how to disable this motor shutdown stick combination.

What I was saying was that it would be difficult to accidentally present CSC movement as a flight movement. You'd be performing the action I described.
Maybe I'll try the opposite to see what it looks like: up, forward, yaw left, bank right.

Reactions: HVYMTL
Hi all and thank you for your comments! Not sure if it can help but I fly in stick mode 3 and as someone previously said it is actually a pretty cool move for video. First thing i did yesterday was to check on our phantom 4 pro what were the CSC settings at and it's set to emergency which I believe is why such thing never happened to me before as I'm pretty sure I would have used this stick combination more than once.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett