DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crashed my new Mavic air 2...help? /Hi

Droneboy87

Reactions
Hi all

Took the plunge during lockdown a few weeks ago and picked up, after hours of research and deliberating, the mavic air 2

On day 2, I crashed it into my house...was flying over a field right in front of it and brought it back in sport mode... I started trying to slow it down way too late... In short, I was over excited and got too confident too early...

The screws inside the gimbal cover on one side got Shawn off (I checked the flight data and was travelling at 8m/s when it crashed down from 18m/s 10 metres earlier... I was so gutted... (I live in a very rural area of South England)

I have been able to clip the gimbal housing back on, but it's not perfect... The video now when I take it up, is ever so slightly wobbly in certain shooting modes, most noticeable when flying It straight forward... And earlier I had a warning saying gimbal motor overload.. I guess if needs a repair for sure

I do have the dji care refresh, but it really seems like it just needs a repair, rather than a new camera...

Being new to all of this, what tips do/thoughts /advice do you guys have?

Very excited about this new hobby though and it was inevitably going to happen at some point..actually quite amazed about how little damage there was for the impact..

I have attached a pic of the gimbal, you can see one side has a gap..

Also attached is a couple of pics I did manage to get on my first few flights! All unedited and straight out of the drone

Cheers, Bert

Attachments

• IMG_20200613_162015_1.jpg
    IMG_20200613_162015_1.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 165
  • org_135b8fc7451085ad_1592159654000.jpg
    org_135b8fc7451085ad_1592159654000.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 163
  • org_b979c11f80174b30_1592159454000.jpg
    org_b979c11f80174b30_1592159454000.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 151
  • org_54695eb9281bdf1a_1592159288000.jpg
    org_54695eb9281bdf1a_1592159288000.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 148
  • org_b3cae2a2543ce477_1591986438000.jpg
    org_b3cae2a2543ce477_1591986438000.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 148
Hi all

Took the plunge during lockdown a few weeks ago and picked up, after hours of research and deliberating, the mavic air 2

On day 2, I crashed it into my house...was flying over a field right in front of it and brought it back in sport mode... I started trying to slow it down way too late... In short, I was over excited and got too confident too early...

The screws inside the gimbal cover on one side got Shawn off (I checked the flight data and was travelling at 8m/s when it crashed down from 18m/s 10 metres earlier... I was so gutted... (I live in a very rural area of South England)

I have been able to clip the gimbal housing back on, but it's not perfect... The video now when I take it up, is ever so slightly wobbly in certain shooting modes, most noticeable when flying It straight forward... And earlier I had a warning saying gimbal motor overload.. I guess if needs a repair for sure

I do have the dji care refresh, but it really seems like it just needs a repair, rather than a new camera...

Very excited about this new hobby though and it was inevitably going to happen at some point..actually quite amazed about how little damage there was for the impact..

Also attached is a couple of pics I did manage to get on my first few flights! All unedited and straight out of the drone

Cheers, Bert
You are best served with using the DJI care.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
One lesson you can take with you from this is to count in breaking distances ...

One trick you can use to make the break distance shorter is to push the "pause-button ... on a MA2 I believe it's a single push on the RTH button. Make a test to see how this works, on nearly all other DJI drones pushing the pause-button makes them break significant faster than only releasing the sticks.

Use the DJI Care Refresh - hitting brick wall in Sport mode could have done loads more damage than you have found.

You don't say if this is your first drone, but if it is.... top tip LEAVE SPORT MODE ALONE until you are more confident. Even then, use Sort mode in open spaces - this baby can move (and bite you!)

Use the DJI Care Refresh - hitting brick wall in Sport mode could have done loads more damage than you have found.

You don't say if this is your first drone, but if it is.... top tip LEAVE SPORT MODE ALONE until you are more confident. Even then, use Sort mode in open spaces - this baby can move (and bite you!)
Yes first real Drone beyond toy ones... Thanks for the advice!!

" too confident too early"
I feel you on that one.
The good news is you are not going to have to pay for the lesson.
Ha, well apart from the £69 first replacement fee and the £79 for getting access to it, which, is a total relief as it could have been £750 to get a new one!

One lesson you can take with you from this is to count in breaking distances ...

One trick you can use to make the break distance shorter is to push the "pause-button ... on a MA2 I believe it's a single push on the RTH button. Make a test to see how this works, on nearly all other DJI drones pushing the pause-button makes them break significant faster than only releasing the sticks.
Or just press backwards!

Hi all

Cheers, Bert
Man I wouldn’t even hesitate in using your refresh that’s what it’s for. The current drone will never be right after your crash.

Tripod is great for the approach and much quieter for the neighbors. The air 2 still scoots!
DJI will return it like new..
Yeah it does move!
Man I wouldn’t even hesitate in using your refresh that’s what it’s for. The current drone will never be right after your crash.

Yep, all arranged now and awaiting shipping label for send back and return.

Thanks for all your advices and I look forward to being part of the community...

One person said or just press backwards, this is what i did, it was obviously just way too late unfortunately, it shed over half it's speed from the moment I pressed back to impact. Will learn about the braking distances and stick well within them in future

Reactions: InvisibleName
All that and another lesson, don't fly in sport mode towards brick walls.
Its funny, I have been flying my Mavic Air 1 for almost two years now and never have used sport mode,
never had the need. I guess i'll have to try it.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider

Good advice. So easy to get overconfident in sport mode. Easy to forget, it takes a lot longer to stop, + no obstacle avoidance. Also, when landing in sport mode, remember it won’t see you either ! !

Reactions: InvisibleName
Thanks everyone, my new drone will arrive on monday. I understand there have been some nice firmware updates since then too!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters