DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crashed Zoom and rear arm is slightly damaged

Ynksfan27

Reactions
Hey everyone, just curious what y’all would recommend for this. I was playing around with Active Track this weekend and learned a valuable lesson. Going between 2 metal buildings with 8 feet of clearance probably wasn’t a good idea. For whatever reason, my Mavic slammed into the side of one of the buildings. All 4 props were damaged and one of the rear arms is slightly damaged. Any thoughts on what I should do. Do I dare try to fix it?Image1541456757.839785.jpgImage1541456767.054964.jpgImage1541456775.909083.jpg

Thanks in advance for the input!

Cole

Sorry to say that you are going to need a new top body and possibly a new rear arm to fix it properly.

The old Mavics had "joint tabs" on top of the rear arm joints to prevent them from overextending. If the arm overextended, you could just replace the joint. The M2's dont have the tabs, so now, if the arm overextends, it creates a stress crease on the top body, as in your picture. It also, possibly, cracked the internal arm joint, as they have been doing in all the repairs I have done. If it were me, I would not fly it like that. I would replace the top body, and also inspect the rear arm for internal damage.

I have DJI Refresh with 2 claims. Would you recommend using a claim for this? Is it possible for me to inspect the arm for internal damage without sending it in?

I would use a Refresh for sure. You cant inspect the arm without taking the whole top body off. It will cost you less for the Refresh than it would in parts to fix it properly.

Reactions: Ynksfan27
Thanks for the information! Will my flight logs transfer to the new drone? Is DJI sending new drones or refurbished? Thanks again for the advice!

Not really. If you check out my post about having backed over my M2Z, they quoted 4 arms at an average $24 each, body at $13, and $130 for labor. That did total more than 1st refresh at something like $218 but I had hoped to save my refresh for a more expensive repair, say damaged gimbal or other electronics. If you aren't in too much of a rush, get a quote for repairs. Be aware though, the total on the resulting quote will be for refresh and if you pay that instead of asking for repair invoice, you're stuck with the refresh.
If it is just the arm and upper body, it might be less than refresh. Since you can't be more than 2 Months into the program, you might want to keep your two refresh for bigger damage.

No, flight logs are not transferred, but refresh assignment is supposed to be.
See my post about keeping your file count, if you have it set to continuous.

Flight logs are stored on your device. They might send you a new one, but not 100% sure. Just make sure to recheck all your settings when the Refreshed drone comes.

I am not going to attempt active track around obstacles until I get my prop guard. I have seen youtube video where it went around obstacles. I dont know how your M2Z did not see the side of a building. Good luck with your repairs or replacement.

Thanks Speedmeister. Looking at the flight log in DJI Go, it did detect the obstacle. It was most likely user error. I noticed it start to veer towards one of the buildings and I panicked and think I steered it into the building by mistake. I am downloading the flight data now if anyone is interested in helping me learn from this mistake.

The drone was facing you and you tried to steer away from building but gave the wrong stick input. I have done that with the spark a few times flying inside house but spark had a prop guard. I want to do the same thing with the mavic but still waiting for the prop guard.

Flight logs are stored on your device. They might send you a new one, but not 100% sure. Just make sure to recheck all your settings when the Refreshed drone comes.
Yes, they are stored on your device but if you view the log list in the Go app, you'll see it under its own set as if it was a different model or ID. You can keep the same device name however.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929