DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crazy day with fly away

AukeH

Reactions
Hi there guys,

First of all let me introduce myself. My name is Auke Halie and I am from the Netherlands. i am an occassional good weather drone flyer with a DJI Mavic Mini 1. Today I was at my in laws at their farm for a little bit of flying. in the winter i did not fly at all so I had to update severall things. After that it was flying time. I saw that i had 13 sattelites and everything was ok so it was a go, I updated the homepoint and checked for altitude for the homepoint (it is an open space) It were good flying conditions. I was hoovering for approx 2mtr and than out of the blue my drone flew away banging into a tree. Luckily it was a tree and not my nephew or niece who were also standing beside me. I shut everything down an scraped the crap out of my pants........ Now I am concerned to fly again adn harm others or myself. Can anyone help me to prevent this and tell me what i should do now? I will try to attach the data retrieved from my drone.

Thanks in advance

With kind regards, Auke

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2022-03-04_[13-21-43][1].txt
    103.9 KB · Views: 22
This was most probably an "uncommanded descent incident" that the Mini have suffered from, from the launch of the model. The props have been deformed & can't generate enough thrust & rise the motor RPM until it reaches maximum but it isn't enough anyway so it loses height.

You had a very old version of the FLY app ... v 1.2.1, that version didn't have the warning about to fast spinning motors & the recommendation to change props ... it came in later versions.

All typical errors came up regarding "NotEnoughForce" & "Max PowerLoad Reached" already before it descended straight into the ground. That you also used prop guards didn't help out either ... the "FlyAway" was happening after it bounced from the ground & there you commanded a lot of stick inputs which enforced the bounce in a horizontal direction.

Here from the log message stream... first errors came already at 101sec into this second flight on the same power on.

1646411835913.png

And here the telemetry which shows the uncommanded descent at 141sec with the green VPS height descending into the ground + blue vertical speed rapidly going positive (descent) ... while all stick inputs (dashed graphs) was on 0 (neutral).

1646411992593.png

If you retrieve & share the mobile device stored DAT log ending with FLY091.DAT I'm sure we will discover that some of the motors are on max RPM.

If the Mini didn't suffer any damage (as you had prop guards) I recommend you to change all 4 props to new ones & update app & Mini to the latest versions ... that should to fix this.

Also, be careful not to store the Mini with anything pressing on the props. The straps that hold the propellers in place when the drone is folded or the case itself can press on the props and warp them.

Reactions: MS Coast
If you fly a Mini, you should have a look at @Zbip57's post about deformed props, linked in the previous message. It's probably something to be aware of for all drones.

One might ask how the drone made it to an altitude it couldn't sustain if said props were bad. The props had to be good enough to lift the drone up; so why did the props fail mid flight? Doesn't sound like the props were the real issue.

One might ask how the drone made it to an altitude it couldn't sustain if said props were bad. The props had to be good enough to lift the drone up; so why did the props fail mid flight? Doesn't sound like the props were the real issue.
No mystery about that - it has been extensively tested and documented. For example:

Reactions: Zbip57
No mystery about that - it has been extensively tested and documented. For example:

Reasonable explanation Sar, thank you. My guess is flow separation at higher rear airfoil velocities may explain the loss of lift.

Reactions: CplJones
Reasonable explanation Sar, thank you. My guess is flow separation at higher rear airfoil velocities may explain the loss of lift.
Could be, although just the reduced angle of attack at higher rpms might also explain the loss of lift.

At first it sounded to me that op took off from a metal surface, mini got confused...and split to who knows where.

Reactions: Prismatic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redcircle