DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Create Sped-up Video Without Re-encoding?

moldorf

Reactions
this is probably a dumb question, and I'm guessing it's not possible....

but is there a way to take a video file and create a sped up video file, for example X2, without re-encoding or rendering?

I like to take my raw MP4 files from my flights and most of them I want to speed up X2 or X3 or X4. Otherwise they are just too slow moving. If I have a 20 minute flight I will usually chop out 3-4 minutes of hovering and turning, then take the resulting 15-16 minute flight and speed it up so it's 4-8 minutes long. But even with high quality settings in Resolve that will create some artifacts and noise that is often distracting. So I was just thinking that eliminating the rendering would mitigate the video noise

but is there a way to take a video file and create a sped up video file, for example X2, without re-encoding or rendering?

I like to take my raw MP4 files from my flights and most of them I want to speed up X2 or X3 or X4. Otherwise they are just too slow moving. If I have a 20 minute flight I will usually chop out 3-4 minutes of hovering and turning, then take the resulting 15-16 minute flight and speed it up so it's 4-8 minutes long. But even with high quality settings in Resolve that will create some artifacts and noise that is often distracting. So I was just thinking that eliminating the rendering would mitigate the video noise
Basically, no it will require rendering. By speeding-up a clip you need to drop frames. For example 10-secs at 24fps requires 240-frames. To playback all those frames in half the time would mean 48fps but your project timeline is 24fps. Dropping alternate frames would give the required 2x playback at 24fps.

However, because you have removed half the frames from the source clip you need to create new video, ie. a render is required.

Dropping frames in this way can make the resultant video look a bit jumpy but adding a little motion blur can smooth the effect.

Although more complex, I have seen one editor use Fusion to merge a sequence of frames by interpolating each frame to create a smooth speed-up. Wish I’d taken note of how he did it.

when I put this video on you tube there was a way on YT to speed up the video, see this video, I sped it up as I was approching the 2 of us untill I got to the top of the path then went back to normal speed.

In my Adobe Premiere Pro program I can speed up or slow down any video with the simple tools available. I run through many examples before deciding on the speed it want.

In my Adobe Premiere Pro program I can speed up or slow down any video with the simple tools available. I run through many examples before deciding on the speed it want.
is that just within the app?

I was wondering about creating a new video without re-encoding but I also was guessing that's not possible

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose