DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crosswinds and gimball tilting/ horizon not level

Mr.Muchaxo

Reactions
Hello!
From the beginning of this year, I started to notice on my DJI MAVIC AIR (I have it since September 2019) that when I'm flying and the drone catches some crosswinds (whether its left to right or right to left) the gimball doesn't compensate well enough and the horizon is not leveled. I will leave a link to my google drive to try and prove my point...

forum.mp4

For example, from the beginning of my footage until like 12 seconds, when the drone is facing the bridge, the horizon is good, and I think the winds are blowing from the back to the front of the drone. However when I start turning my drone like 90º (from 13s to 16s) we can see that the gimball doesn't compensate for the crosswinds, that I think now are coming from the right side to the left side of the drone. Then, from 19s to 23s, I'm facing the winds with the front of the drone, and we can see the gimball leveling with the horizon. When I turn again (so the winds blow from the right to the left side) from 26s to 29s I have the same tilting issue and again at 1:07s to 1:19s, but this time I am with my right joystick all the way to the right, don't know if that will make a difference.
Also, there was some wind, but I didn't notice any warnings on the screen of my phone to land the drone.
I've tried calibrating my gimball and my IMU but this still persists, and this only happens if my drone is sideways to the wind. All the others movements of the gimball work fine I think.
Is this normal or is there anyone with the same problem?

TIA
smile.gif

Hi there & welcome to the forum ? :D

Attach you mobile device txt flight log here in a new post so can we have a look at the AC roll angles relative gimbal angles and see if you hit the hardware stop. How to retrieve --> Flight log retrieval and analysis guide (read under section 3.)

Hello, thank you very much! Here is the flight log from the video

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2020-04-28_[19-23-27].txt
    687.8 KB · Views: 4
I can't offer any technical help apart from agree that something isn't right- I just wanted to say what a beautiful place to drone, you're very lucky- can I ask where that is ?

Reactions: Mr.Muchaxo
Hello, thank you very much! Here is the flight log from the video
Unfortunately the log doesn't contain any value for the gimbal roll, only for pitch & yaw...

But looking over the AC roll & pitch doesn't show any values over the top besides in the end in the circle movement (were the markers are in the graph) first a roll to the positive side (strange sudden peak though ...) then to the full negative side for braking. It was windy, just close to the spec ... but the Air should manage that without gimbal roll shifts.

Looking at your vid from approx 20sec you have a gimbal vibration that shouldn't be there ... think something is wrong with your gimbal unfortunately.

1588168148490.png

1588168172551.png
1588168188339.png

Reactions: Mr.Muchaxo
I can't offer any technical help apart from agree that something isn't right- I just wanted to say what a beautiful place to drone, you're very lucky- can I ask where that is ?
No problem, I think I am not that lucky with this gimball ?... This is in Tejo river, Lisbon, Portugal.

Reactions: Lurch003
Unfortunately the log doesn't contain any value for the gimbal roll, only for pitch & yaw...

But looking over the AC roll & pitch doesn't show any values over the top besides in the end in the circle movement (were the markers are in the graph) first a roll to the positive side (strange sudden peak though ...) then to the full negative side for braking. It was windy, just close to the spec ... but the Air should manage that without gimbal roll shifts.

Looking at your vid from approx 20sec you have a gimbal vibration that shouldn't be there ... think something is wrong with your gimbal unfortunately.

View attachment 99973

View attachment 99974
View attachment 99975
Ok ok, thanks for your feedback. I don't have DJI care refresh, I thought it wasn't needed since this isn't my first drone I wouldn't crash it. Do you think DJI will cover this, because the drone is still in warranty or do I have to spend the money for a new gimball? (Which I think I will not do, because I can "live" with this...)

Ok ok, thanks for your feedback. I don't have DJI care refresh, I thought it wasn't needed since this isn't my first drone I wouldn't crash it. Do you think DJI will cover this, because the drone is still in warranty or do I have to spend the money for a new gimball? (Which I think I will not do, because I can "live" with this...)

I'd suggest a warranty issue- like you say, it's new and faulty. As long as you haven't manhandled the gimbal, can't see why you would have an issue. Don't know where you bought it from but your claim would be with them, not DJI (well, in the UK that's how it would be)

You got me with the location- I just saw the big red bridge and thought San Fransico !!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kesiganes