DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crows vs Drones....trust me Crows win

Cullensmith

Reactions
Don’t fly your drones near crows. Just not a good idea. $1500 gone. Drone crashed in deep brush. Finally found and stood on last know location. It is now gone. Get a GPS transponder with strobe and distress alarm to track your drone in these types of situations. Thanks72363

Don’t fly your drones near crows. Just not a good idea. $1500 gone. Drone crashed in deep brush. Finally found and stood on last know location. It is now gone. Get a GPS transponder with strobe and distress alarm to track your drone in these types of situations. ThanksView attachment 72363

Sorry to hear abt your lost bro.
Thks for the heads up, place where i live indeed hve a lot of crows.

However the bird in the photo looks huge, could it be a eagle?

Sorry to hear abt your lost bro.
Thks for the heads up, place where i live indeed hve a lot of crows.

However the bird in the photo looks huge, could it be a eagle?

No, it’s s crow. They were circling at first...just observing. The next day they became emboldened and were all about attack. It was crazy.

Reactions: Air_Joe
Gutted for ya? I get a lot of interest from gulls where I live. I found the best thing to do in that situation is to ascend when they approach, birds can’t keep up with your drone ascending then fly back to the home point and land straight away.

This has always worked for me. I’m paranoid about our other feathered flying companions, plus I always have a spotter helping me out while flying, yep my good lady wife?

A few weeks ago I was flying for a Commercial Construction client and all of a sudden a crow made a Bee-Line for my aircraft. I climbed as fast as I could but I was in a 100' (hard limit ) sector so at 99' it stopped ascending. Once the crow was at my elevation it again went directly at my sUAS as I was trying to use evasive maneuvers but he was much more agile so I was losing ground quickly.

Out of NO WHERE a sparrow (yes a sparrow) came up and started pestering the crow and literally within 1 minute the crow had turned tail and was flying out of the area ASAP with a small sparrow right behind it. All I can figure is that the sparrow had a nest in the trees directly under where this "interaction" was taking place.

No, it’s s crow. They were circling at first...just observing. The next day they became emboldened and were all about attack. It was crazy.

yeah man, crows are crazy birds.. they are extremely territorial birds!

i live in a place where u have outdoor eateries, one of those is near a tree where the crow build its nest,
ever seen the crows attcking the diners even when they are not disturbs or anythg!
The just dive from the air and peck on diners head while they are having their meals, one time a old lady got pecked quite badly and was bleeding from her head!
the bird cullers has to come and shoot down those crows later.

sounds like the Angry birds movie. lol

Just curious, did the crow survive? A lot of people here are convinced they could kill a person with a Mavic, so it HAD to have destroyed the fragile crow, Right?

whatever happens to the crow, one thing im sure and interested in is , if anything hits the motor/props, our birds will be dead and free fall to the ground. damage done... a least few hundred buck fly away ..

Sorry for your loss my friend, I feel your pain. That crow looks as big as our turkey vultures here in georgia! That's another reason I bought the state farm personal property insurance for $60/yr it covers all losses with zero deductible.

In the last two days we were "approached" by a duck and a raven. The raven veered away when I got the drone down to 20 feet and close to me, but it flew behind a building 100 feet away and popped up every ten seconds to see if lunch was drifting its way.
Anyone have good escape tactics, beyond go high fast, which method has obvious limitations.

In the last two days we were "approached" by a duck and a raven. The raven veered away when I got the drone down to 20 feet and close to me, but it flew behind a building 100 feet away and popped up every ten seconds to see if lunch was drifting its way.
Anyone have good escape tactics, beyond go high fast, which method has obvious limitations.

Some people have noted a degree of success in adding "Eye Balls" to their aircraft.

Reactions: windmill
It’s quite easy to see from the birds body how far each wing protrudes they are at least 3 inches longer than a crows where are you located?

Perhaps a Raven? Ravens are as big as Red-tailed Hawks, and crows are about the size of pigeons. The raven is all black, has a 3.5-4 ft wingspan and is around 24-27 inches from head to tail. The crow is also black, has a 2.5 ft wingspan and is about 17 inches long. Both of the family Corvidae.

A few weeks ago I was flying for a Commercial Construction client and all of a sudden a crow made a Bee-Line for my aircraft. I climbed as fast as I could but I was in a 100' (hard limit ) sector so at 99' it stopped ascending. Once the crow was at my elevation it again went directly at my sUAS as I was trying to use evasive maneuvers but he was much more agile so I was losing ground quickly.

Out of NO WHERE a sparrow (yes a sparrow) came up and started pestering the crow and literally within 1 minute the crow had turned tail and was flying out of the area ASAP with a small sparrow right behind it. All I can figure is that the sparrow had a nest in the trees directly under where this "interaction" was taking place.

Any chance you had video on? Would be spectacular footage!

These guys live on the lighthouse and old abandoned boats... they are okay until you get close to their nests.

Attachments

• A6030A0A-A599-481B-96D4-7ED42AB284F9.jpeg
    A6030A0A-A599-481B-96D4-7ED42AB284F9.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 5456EAA4-F2D8-4D06-8F40-359899CC0396.jpeg
    5456EAA4-F2D8-4D06-8F40-359899CC0396.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 67
Reactions: Cullensmith
Any chance you had video on? Would be spectacular footage!

That's one thing I regret.... I should have hit RECORD the moment it started but I was in the middle of shooting progression shots for a client and when the "harassment" started evasion was my only thought. As soon as it was over I went, "DOH! You should have hit RECORD!!"

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3