DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crystal Sky Mapbox problems

minsk

Reactions
Many thanks in advance for help with this as I'm at my wits end.

Mavic Pro Plat
CS 5.5
All firmware up to date

1. Out of the box I could pre-load a Mapbox map in the region and exact area of my choice onto the cache in the CS. However, once on location, the map was blank in DJI Go, but I could see the flight path. This was not an issue because I realized that such a street type map would be of little use to me because I typically film motorbikes while on tour in the mountains of Vietnam or the Himalayas and Mapbox provides negligible data. If anything I need either a black and white terrain map (ideal) or perhaps satellite.
2. Speaking of satellites, I did manage at the time to download Google Earth onto the CS, thinking that it would be compatible with the CS and DJI GO, but that just reflected the fact that I had not checked this forum first to find out that the two would not be compatible.
3. Can't remember when, but after a while the flight path no longer appeared in the blank Mapbox when in DJI Go, but that was no real drama as the radar pointer, RTH or spotter would be used to return home.
4. I now have a gig with a film crew, so I need the Mapbox map of the area of the shoot back on the CS.
5. So I go back into the CS, tap the three lines, but am not even offered to 'choose the region' to download a new map from. Funnily enough my old map files were still available and could be viewed at home while not connected to the Mavic.
6. So I search and search but can't find anything, so I opt for a factory reset of the CS.
7. No drama with that, and a good way to get Google Earth off in the process, which I thought might have played a part with the earlier problems.
8. So now the CS is all clean with just DJI Go 4 and Litchi.
9. Back to the three lines to download a Mapbox map and see if the 'choose region' would be an option, and things initially looked good, as it instantly started to download something. So I left it alone. PS I can't remember if I reloaded Litchi before or after trying to do the Mapbox download.
10. I come back after 15 minutes or so and its still downloading. I go to the simple settings on the CS to check the download speed and note that its crawling along at a snails pace. Typically 120-300 B/s. This makes no sense as my computer, iPhone etc all use the same wifi and are happily downloading MB/s.
11. So I opt to be patient first, as those CS batteries last for hours, but after three days now I am only up to a total of 55MB loaded, so its getting ridiculous.
12. Weird thing is that something is happily uploading stuff from the CS as well, for a total of 5MB as opposed to the 55MB downloaded over the three day period.

So, those of you who are much smarter than me, what do you think?

1. Do another factory reset, but this time no reload of Litchi before attempting another Mapbox download?
2. Try and find a way to check out why the CS is downloading so slow (actually that's the essence of my query here), but I have no idea about such things like diagnostics etc for Android as I am an OS fanboy. But please note that when I downloaded the Amazon App in order to reload Litchi after the factory reset, the download was normal and fast.
3. Ask this forum if anyone knows how big the initial download for Mapbox is, because 55 MB of something has at least come down the pipes already, and who knows, I might be close to completion of at least that stage of the process, before actually making an attempt to download a specific cached map for the film crew shoot, which might or might not suffer the same download problems.

Again, many thanks in advance for any help, highly appreciated, and sorry for not posting anything before, like tips for flying through caves with no GPS, tips for manually filming moving motorcycles etc etc. I am not a social media kind of person, and this is actually the first time I've ever posted something online, on any platform. Kind of reflects how desperate I am!

Oh, I have not bothered to contact DJI for obvious reasons. You guys and this forum are infinity more helpful!

Cheers Digby

Hi minsk,

I’ve just downloaded a map on mapbox as a test on my CS, download ok, took about 40 seconds.

I’ve not got litchi/google maps installed on mine though.

I know you’ve probably know the right procedure but just to double check, have a look at this video. Scroll to about 3.10s, it gives you an in-depth walk through on how to install maps.

Cheers mate, that Brit is great and I've watched him a lot. But here's the deal. I can't get to the bit right where the map of the world pops up right at the start of the process, when you tap the three lines and then tap 'offline maps'.

So its great that you've sent this link because the exact spot I am stuck at is at 3.22.

The fact that the world map comes up so quickly suggests to me that I should do another factory reset, unless of course there is a download process the first time you do it, which naturally the Brit had already done.

So I guess my question to you now is "Do you remember what happened the first time you tapped 'offline map'. Was it instantaneous to the world map or was there some downloading to do, however short on normal wifi speeds?"

Cheers Digby

Last edited:
So I guess my question to you now is "Do you remember what happened the first time you tapped 'offline map'. Was it instantaneous to the world map or was there some downloading to do, however short on normal wifi speeds?"

Cheers Digby

Hi Digby,

When I go into offline maps it first asks me,
Turn on GPS, which I do.
Then I get, network unavailable, I turn on WiFi

I then get a map of the world which I can scroll around/zoom. Once I got to the area needed I press the blue download bar, a dialogue box then appears asking to name the new region, which I do then it starts downloading.

The above it the same as the video I posted for you.?

Is your Go4 app up to date, system version that’s running on my CS is 2.6.6.0

Hi Digby,

When I go into offline maps it first asks me,
Turn on GPS, which I do.
Then I get, network unavailable, I turn on WiFi

I then get a map of the world which I can scroll around/zoom. Once I got to the area needed I press the blue download bar, a dialogue box then appears asking to name the new region, which I do then it starts downloading.

The above it the same as the video I posted for you.?

Is your Go4 app up to date, system version that’s running on my CS is 2.6.6.0

Hey mate,

I can only assume that the CS was updated on the factory reset, that said, nothing automatic happened after reset nor did I manually check.

Meanwhile the Go4 app was up to date before the reset, and is now 4.2.16 (??) rather than 4.3, while the CS is 02.06.06.00, as per pics below.

So it seems that I was/am not up to date which is weird so will go ahead and try a reset again and will hold off on the Litchi reload till I can see what happens with the off line maps assuming correct 4.3 firmware makes it. Seems like I have to eat some humble pie.....

If it all works out I'll use the Mavic to fly you a couple of crates of Hanoi's finest, assuming the tailwind is spot on!

Cheers mate!

Hey mate,
If it all works out I'll use the Mavic to fly you a couple of crates of Hanoi's finest, assuming the tailwind is spot on!

You don’t need to do that, would be bloody nice though...? as long as you get a result one way or another, that’s all that counts. I wise you luck?

Success!

I performed a meticulous reset. Checking every possible update for the entire range of equipment, stage by stage, no Litchi, with some reboots in between for good measure, both connected to, and not connected to the bird, and noting my CS had no problem downloading the 250MB update to v4.3 and confirmed the lot before going back to the three lines and then offline map feature, which worked. Then Litchi so all good.

Thanks for your help!

PS: if you ever want to fly through large caves without GPS then just tether the bird to a fishing rod with weights to make sure the line does not tangle up the props. Helmet headsets between drone controller and lead motorbike rider very useful for perfect shots. Enjoy this short video of just one ride in north Vietnam to see what I mean, and if you ever want to come ride in the Himalayas, have a look at this short video, again of just one ride, to see what it looks like first (terrifying!! but sensational).

Cheers Digby

Reactions: Porky
You’re more than welcome, glad you got it sorted. Cracking monitors

Thanks for the tip regarding flying through caves??

does not work... no maps. just updated to 4.3.24. and the offline map download page is just .. spinning in circles just like before ... no maps. My android phone does not have these problems ... should I be connected to the drone?? no one has said that... ???

Restring and connecting to the controller and drone and firing up all of that before going back to the three lines and then offline map feature and
we are doing circles ... offline map screen is spinning but that is not indication of actual downloading like all other downloads that tell you
or gives some indication of progress.... this is very .. very......

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7