DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crystal Sky vs. iPad Pro

I went with the CS because of the mounting options and because I use my iPads elsewhere. I did I forego the high end, and went with the large CS

Reactions: Porky
My following of this forum suggests that the IOS tablets are preferred to the CS. I appears that DJI tends to favor IOS tablets/phones over the CS in terms of compatibility. Further, it seems that the CS is less reliable and of course it is a single purpose device unlike the IOS tablets/phones. I am happy with an iPad mini 4.

I’ve recently become a CS owner and have never looked back. The screen brightness is what sold it for me, had major problems with the screen in sunlight with my iOS device, (iPhone), but with 1000 nits, now it’s not a problem.

The mount I use is a polar pro bracket but fitted a Dji quick release mount. Works perfectly well for my needs.

5064730A-8272-4F52-85C3-4FB332CA678D.jpeg

How does the CS function with maps in the Go app? What kind of connectivity? Do you tether it to the WiFi on your phone?

Nope no “hotspot” with my iPhone. My CS is naked while I fly, if you know what I mean. The only time my CS goes onto a network is when at home via WiFi. The maps have always shown up accurately on the screen.

Reactions: ZooCougar
Nope no “hotspot” with my iPhone. My CS is naked while I fly, if you know what I mean. The only time my CS goes onto a network is when at home via WiFi. The maps have always shown up accurately on the screen.

Yeah I ask because I noticed when I switch my phone to airplane mode that the maps basically disappear.

Yeah I ask because I noticed when I switch my phone to airplane mode that the maps basically disappear.

I had the CS and was able to download "offline maps" before I went flying. There was a subsequent firmware update (when they first came out) that deleted this map upload unless you made a selection in the menu, and I forget what that was.

Be aware of this problems I encountered with my CrystalSky

1. No EV (shutter speed) with the 5D button possible, still no answer

See: Mavic2 pro + Crystalsky 5.5 problem

2. Not possibility for the new extended waypoints function (no new firmware)
But possible to install the Litchi (installed it but didn't try it out).
Thank you... Looks like I'll be going with the iPad Pro. Question being that I will only be using to fly my Mavic2 Pro, will I only need WiFi only? Will I incur data charges via my Verizon account? Thank you for your assistance.

Thank you... Looks like I'll be going with the iPad Pro. Question being that I will only be using to fly my Mavic2 Pro, will I only need WiFi only? Will I incur data charges via my Verizon account? Thank you for your assistance.

If you select the cellular iPad version, then yes you will incur data charges if you haven't placed the device in airplane mode. You can use the Wi-Fi version and download the offline maps to your device when you are connected to your Wi-Fi at home.

Reactions: Watash48
If you select the cellular iPad version, then yes you will incur data charges if you haven't placed the device in airplane mode. You can use the Wi-Fi version and download the offline maps to your device when you are connected to your Wi-Fi at home.
Excellent, Thank you

I have both an iPad Pro 10.5" and a CrystalSky Ultra. There are definitely pros and cons to each which I why I actually use both rather than one or the other. If you get the new PolarPro Flight Deck, not only is it the best mount I've ever used, it comes with a plate for CrystalSky as well as a tablet holder.

iOS apps are better -- plain and simple. Android is a cheap, knock-off version of iOS, and that's really my chief complaint with the CS. To confound matters, DJI doesn't keep the CS version of GO 4 as up to date as either the iOS app or the standard Android app. That said, the CS really stands out in terms of screen quality and brightness. iPad Pro doesn't even come close. While you can use Litchi on CS, using multiple apps on the iPad is just easier to deal with. CS doesn't have direct access to Google Play so that makes it more difficult to add additional pilot apps.

Bottom line, if you primarily use GO 4 and can live with a lag time in upgrades, the CrystalSky provides the absolute ultimate flying experience.

I have both an iPad Pro 10.5" and a CrystalSky Ultra. There are definitely pros and cons to each which I why I actually use both rather than one or the other. If you get the new PolarPro Flight Deck, not only is it the best mount I've ever used, it comes with a plate for CrystalSky as well as a tablet holder.

iOS apps are better -- plain and simple. Android is a cheap, knock-off version of iOS, and that's really my chief complaint with the CS. To confound matters, DJI doesn't keep the CS version of GO 4 as up to date as either the iOS app or the standard Android app. That said, the CS really stands out in terms of screen quality and brightness. iPad Pro doesn't even come close. While you can use Litchi on CS, using multiple apps on the iPad is just easier to deal with. CS doesn't have direct access to Google Play so that makes it more difficult to add additional pilot apps.

Bottom line, if you primarily use GO 4 and can live with a lag time in upgrades, the CrystalSky provides the absolute ultimate flying experience.

Thank you... I'll be using Litchi as my primary. ( main goal is non-commercial photography). So iPad Pro Wi-Fi only?

Thank you... I'll be using Litchi as my primary. ( main goal is non-commercial photography). So iPad Pro Wi-Fi only?

There is one limitation if you go with the wifi only model of an idevice - from reading, the wifi one does not contain on-board gps. Now it is not entirely necessary but the gps on phone/tab allows you to change your home point - so it you move your position while flying - bike, car jogging, skiing, you will not be able to change the home point easily - there can be workarounds.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spitspin