BWmcSA1.jpg

aXNRtJi.jpg

Ish8NJw.jpg

IYW0wyV.jpg

RswTL64.jpg

OHBm8RY.jpg

Initial review and observations
Size and Feel:

- 5.5” is a good size for Mavic Pro as the screen is a bit bigger than iPhone 6s / 7 or Google Pixel style phones
- No official mount from DJI so we created our own, I am sure theirs will be a bit lighter.
- The Mavic Pro w/ iPad Mini 4 (my go-to setup) weighs in at 980.63g, so the difference to me is negligible.
- The CrystalSky 5.5” over the iPad Mini 4 seem more compact and “tighter” on the Mavic Pro controller than the iPad Mini 4. (Non-Official mount)
- Metal bezel and back are ridged and textured to prevent scratching.
- Buttons have a solid “click” feeling to them which reassure they are being pressed.
- Ports are all on one side making wire clutter easier to manage if you are plugged in.
- There is no AC power on the CrystalSky 5.5” screen.
Setup and Initial software review:
- Setup was extremely easy. It even connected to your 802.1x authentication network with ease. Typical DJI Go setup with activation.
- The country list seems to be in no apparent order which made it confusing to find our country during setup.
- Screen even though not matte seems to be have much less glare than iPad mini 4.
o
wJoX46E.jpg

o
WmtcYHK.jpg

- View angle is much better than iPad Mini 4
- CrystalSky 5.5” has 5 buttons on the side:
o Power
o F1 – Customizable (Max Brightness, WLAN, SRE, Screenshot)
o Settings
o F2 - Customizable (Max Brightness, WLAN, SRE, Screenshot)
o Return
- Ports:
o HDMI out
o USB
o Micro-USB
o Headphone
o Dual SD-card
- Software:
o Main screen:
§
suo2S9n.jpg

o Explorer
§
qb31OUg.jpg

o Applications
§
uRLZkKz.jpg

o Settings
§ http://i.imgur.com/dJEzOtY.jpg?1
o Quick Settings
§ http://i.imgur.com/hvs7DnR.jpg?1
Overall the screen is very well built fit and finish wise, and seems to be a decent size and weight. The hot-swappable battery is def a plus even if it sticks out a bit from the back. The customizable buttons are nice for quick changes. I will be doing some daylight testing tomorrow out in direct Florida sunlight during the day and compare it to the iPad Mini 4 and iPhone 6s. I will also check out the SRE feature which seems to enhance certain parts of the image on the screen.

If you have any questions or features you want to see please let me know and I will be more than happy to try and answer them for you.

So obviously it does NOT fit within the existing Mavic arms.

Can you remove the rubber grips in the controller arms and fit the edge of the arms without the rubber over the bezel?

DJI is like that girlfriend you couldn't stand but also couldn't get enough of at the same time. You knew they were full of it and misleading, but you still believed them a little bit because of the hope things would finally be different this time.

Last edited:
Can you remove the rubber grips in the controller arms and fit the edge of the arms without the rubber over the bezel?

DJI is like that girlfriend you couldn't stand but also couldn't get enough of at the same time. You knew they were full of it and misleading, but you still believed them a little bit because of the hope things would finally be different this time.
I also thought it would fit if you removed the entire rubber grip inserts??? Not a desired way but what about velcro on the tops of the arms and then on the back of the monitor?
Rob

I also thought it would fit if you removed the entire rubber grip inserts??? Not a desired way but what about velcro on the tops of the arms and then on the back of the monitor?
Rob

Im thinking I will cut the mavic controller arms and add a spacer then epoxy them back together so that it fits in there with the rubber grips.

Reactions: Hook
Rob
Not a bad idea...

This whole thing is bizarre. They say it's compatible with the Mavic - but it's too thick but they explicitly say the 5.5 inch is compatible.

They say it's compatible with the Osmo/Osmo Pro yet it's too thick to sit within the current device holder.

So the only device it seems to work with is the phantom via the expensive bracket.

Weird for sure. I wonder if the OP can measure the thickness using a caliper or some other device that measures precisely. When I measured the arms with the grips removed it was exactly 17mm. The Crystalsky on the DJI site is 19mm but the larger one is 17mm. Seems odd they would list it as compatible yet too thick to work. Unless like I said on that thread they transposed the numbers on their site. We need an exact measurement!
Rob

Last edited:
since this appears to have a browser, does anyone know if we can possibly backdoor 3rd party apps onto this through the browser?

Hey all spent the day yesterday filming with it on the boat:

I will go more into detail on the os / usage of the devices in another review but:

I found my self in places on the boat ive never flown from because the phone or ipad would be to glared out. the brightness is def more, but the biggest improvement seems to be how little glare the screen gives back compared to phones or tablets. Also with the screen to fly im not killing my phone on a full day out on the water. Here some pics holding the controller its really not all that bad. Nothing worse that an ipad mini 4 with hood thats for sure, and it seems more compact i really like the form factor.

Let me remove the rubber from the controller and see if it fits, ive never liked flying with the screen below me so i never tried it.

aYeA5NOh.jpg

181x7H0h.jpg

And the obligatory pretty girl shot:

mXSW2t0h.png

I will take out the rubbers when i go to work on monday as i dont have a small star key. It might fit, but it will be very close.

Im using the skyreat ipad / tablet holder

Reactions: RobP62
Hey all spent the day yesterday filming with it on the boat:

I will go more into detail on the os / usage of the devices in another review but:

I found my self in places on the boat ive never flown from because the phone or ipad would be to glared out. the brightness is def more, but the biggest improvement seems to be how little glare the screen gives back compared to phones or tablets. Also with the screen to fly im not killing my phone on a full day out on the water. Here some pics holding the controller its really not all that bad. Nothing worse that an ipad mini 4 with hood thats for sure, and it seems more compact i really like the form factor.

Let me remove the rubber from the controller and see if it fits, ive never liked flying with the screen below me so i never tried it.

aYeA5NOh.jpg

181x7H0h.jpg

And the obligatory pretty girl shot:

mXSW2t0h.png
Thanks for this - looks good. I keep saying - I am happy to be locked into their own apps if I can see where I'm flying. I find an iPad/iphone just stresses me out with trying to see the controls and also where I'm flying in anything other than a very cloudy day. The time we get sunshine in the UK it's not a pleasant experience. This does look like it will do the job.

What is the mount you used? Looks like the DJI mount but what else? Did the rubber removal work? I think CS might be too thick still.

You've almost helped me decide on the Mavic as my second drone alongside my p4p- was considering the Spark... but this looks like it will suit my longer term needs much better.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato