DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CrystalSky charging over USB-C?

virtguy

Reactions
Hi there. New poster but have been lurking since I got a Mavic and Spark a few months ago.

I'm considering getting a CrystalSky, but want to travel as light as possible and don't want to carry a 2nd charger around. I've seen conflicting information in other threads about charging the CrystalSky over the USB-C port, with some saying it works and others saying it doesn't.

Could someone confirm definitively if the CrystalSky 5.5" battery be charged, albeit more slowly, over the USB-C port on the bottom of the CrystalSky itself? I'm ok if it takes overnight to charge as I doubt I'd fly enough in a day to run the CS battery down, especially given how long the CS battery is said to last.

Thanks!

Hi there. New poster but have been lurking since I got a Mavic and Spark a few months ago.

I'm considering getting a CrystalSky, but want to travel as light as possible and don't want to carry a 2nd charger around. I've seen conflicting information in other threads about charging the CrystalSky over the USB-C port, with some saying it works and others saying it doesn't.

Could someone confirm definitively if the CrystalSky 5.5" battery be charged, albeit more slowly, over the USB-C port on the bottom of the CrystalSky itself? I'm ok if it takes overnight to charge as I doubt I'd fly enough in a day to run the CS battery down, especially given how long the CS battery is said to last.

Thanks!

I use the 5.5" CS, the battery has to be charged using the Battery adapter provided separate from the monitor, a USB cable will not provide enough wattage/ amperage to do the job that is why it is designed to use The Phantom/Inspire series battery charger.

Thanks for the info. So you've tried it and it doesn't work? It shouldn't be the cable itself that's a limiting factor, as (some) USB-C cables can carry up to 100W. I was wondering if, provided a sufficient cable and power source, it would charge over USB-C. I've read that the CS 5.5 could be powered up via USB-C without the battery even attached, but wasn't sure if the battery itself would actually charge.

Yes neither the micro USB or the Type C USB will power the CS or charge the battery, actually I plugged it in( with battery installed ) when you plug in any USB cable the unit powers on and you cannot shut it off with the cable plugged in. Let it sit for 30 minutes plugged into a USB Power port, turned the brightness to the lowest setting, and it discharged 2% over the 30 minutes.

Reactions: Advexure
Appreciate the explanation. That's an unfortunate limitation. I'll hold off on the CS until there's a solution that works with the Mavic charger. Thanks!

I have powered my 5.5 CS from the phantom controller via USB-C in the CS. Of course it will drain then battery. In the same theory I don't see why the CS can't be powered from a USB-C power pack and the input from the RC can be the micro USB on the side

Reactions: Advexure
Yes, unfortunately you cannot charge the CS via Type-C or Micro USB which is very frustrating. As @inkytog mentioned, when connected to larger RC's (Phantom, Inspire, Matrice, and Cendence) the CS can charge from the RC's battery while the CS is connected with Type-C.

We also don't see why they have not allowed charging in a regular fashion with Type-C or Micro USB...

Appreciate the explanation. That's an unfortunate limitation. I'll hold off on the CS until there's a solution that works with the Mavic charger. Thanks!
My Solution is to get another battery, seems somewhat difficult to find right now, with 2 batteries should be able to get 8-10 hours of fly time, and you can hot swap the battery while the CS is on.

Reactions: cvanhoose
Reactions: RiveRatt
Awesome.
I'll pick one up soon.
I've got the 5.5 CS but haven't actually held it in my hands yet.
Forgive me for having to ask but I know very little in regards to all the available cables/cords and connectors out there these days.
I gather that the micro USB on the side of the CS can be used to connect to the USB on the bottom of the Mavic RC.
But what's the best USB to USB-C cable to use when using the USB-C on the bottom of the CS ?
Have one in stock ?

Awesome.
I'll pick one up soon.
I've got the 5.5 CS but haven't actually held it in my hands yet.
Forgive me for having to ask but I know very little in regards to all the available cables/cords and connectors out there these days.
I gather that the micro USB on the side of the CS can be used to connect to the USB on the bottom of the Mavic RC.
But what's the best USB to USB-C cable to use when using the USB-C on the bottom of the CS ?
Have one in stock ?

Using the USC-C from the bottom of the CrystalSky is the best route as working from the side of the CS allows for snagging, bending, breaking of the cable (unless you find a 90 back connector).

This Type-C Cable is perfect and in stock: DJI RC Cable Type C to Standard A (10″) – Part 25 | Advexure

90 degree connection that keeps it tight, clean, compact and sort of snaps in to be secure.

Reactions: Mike Shock
Can a Mac pro 85w not work to charge the CS, will it work if plugged in direct into CS USB C or do you know of a USBC to barrel adapter to plug into the CS charger,

Can a Mac pro 85w not work to charge the CS, will it work if plugged in direct into CS USB C or do you know of a USBC to barrel adapter to plug into the CS charger,

No USB-C charger that I've tried, including the 87w USB charger from a 2016 MBP, have worked to charge the CrystalSky 5.5 battery. It will power the CS without the external battery, but it won't charge the battery.

[A very tardy response to this thread]

You can't charge a Crystal Sky battery from USB because the USB voltage is too low. Typical USB chargers are 5 volt, which is fine for phones with 1 cell batteries. The battery in the Crystal Sky is a 2 cell li-ion and so requires around 8.4V to charge.

If DJI was so inclined they could adapt the output from one of the higher voltage fast charging USB standards such as Qualcomm's "Quick Charge 2.0" which operates north of 9 volts and can provide as much as 24 watts of power. But that would mean you would still need a 'special' charger.

They could also bump up the USB voltage inside the Crystal Sky to accommodate 5V USB charging. But with standard USB chargers at 5 or 10 watts, and a 40 or so watt-hour battery, it would take a very long time to charge.

Reactions: Mike Shock
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mavic 3 classic User