DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CrystalSky review wanted

Sunshine

Reactions
Hi, I've some review on here about CrystalSky but wondering if anyone has had both the high brightness and ultra brightness units to compare side by side or to a mini iPad.
I'm deliberating over the two brightness versions as to whether there is a lot of noticeable difference between them and especially how they compare vs. the mini iPad which I now use on my Mavic. As everyone says, it is such a struggle In the sun to see with the glare.
I see that the price has dropped to $850 on the most expensive one and around $600 for the middle priced one. Does anyone know if they are in stock yet anywhere. I see one is on Amazon but not the other choices. Predicted they would show up by now.

Also I'm confused about the charger... is it not supplied? and a mounting device for CrystalSky onto the Mavic.
I would think, like others have made, a nice flat "plate" that would fit in between the arms and then a vertical bracket that would fasten to the monitor would work well... also should have the angle adjustable so one can place it in the most visible fashion.

Thanks all for your help.

Mount plate is not supplied. And nor is charger. 79 bucks for dji mount. 30 for Amazon generic charger

The MavMount will have a fully compatible adapter plate that works great with the Crystal Sky, hopefully next week.

That sounds great but I never see any mention or details of it anywhere. Where are you getting your information?
Do you know the cost? Anything to offer re: the different versions and their degree of being sufficient in brightness
compared to the mini iPad ?
Thanks very much.

I have a crystal sky right here. And I designed the plate as well. it's 95% done in solidworks, we're just programming the CAD and hope to have a prototype out next week. We have some basic prototypes already working, now finishing the peice so it's as nice as the MavMount is.

Oh.... so you do manufacturing..... may I ask your business name and location? How were you able to acquire a CrystalSky when there seems to be none available for shipping wherever I check? Could you tell me which brightness version you have and have you used both so as to judge the difference. Is the lower brightness one "good enough" for direct sunlight use or is it a lot better to have the highest brightness version? Thanks again.

MavMount.com

We are not far from DJI so we have quick shipping. I dont think the lower brightness monitor will replace a ipad with a hood quite yet. i am excited to see the 2000NIT monitor though.

For sure the 2000 nits is my choice.. The double of brightness and the double of ROM (128Gb) pay the extra price, for sure!

For the mounting, it must put CS upside-down (if below RC) to not obstruct the built-in GNSS, as told in User Manual!

MavMount.com

We are not far from DJI so we have quick shipping. I dont think the lower brightness monitor will replace a ipad with a hood quite yet. i am excited to see the 2000NIT monitor though.

I have an iPhone 6s, and an iPad mini 2. I have a Mavmount and holders for each device. It works extremely well. In order for them to be useable I have Hoodman hoods for each Apple device. The hoods work ok but are cumbersome and a bit of a hassle to put on. Now that I have a 5.5 CS I will never use the Apple devices again. The extra brightness makes all the difference. I like the 5.5" form factor for portability. Regarding brightness I was able to fly at the beach recently on a bright, sunny, California day at 2:00 pm and could see everything on the monitor just fine.

Reactions: Aerial West
I have an iPhone 6s, and an iPad mini 2. I have a Mavmount and holders for each device. It works extremely well. In order for them to be useable I have Hoodman hoods for each Apple device. The hoods work ok but are cumbersome and a bit of a hassle to put on. Now that I have a 5.5 CS I will never use the Apple devices again. The extra brightness makes all the difference. I like the 5.5" form factor for portability. Regarding brightness I was able to fly at the beach recently on a bright, sunny, California day at 2:00 pm and could see everything on the monitor just fine.
Glad you're flying MavMount! The crystal sky adapter is on its way hopefully next week, and it's beautiful.

I think flying on set I've grown accustomed to flying like it's 'in a closet' dark. That's what the hoodman affords me. My video comparing ipad to crystal sky all is in the same hermosa beach CA on one of our sunny days last week, and I couldn't see the CS quite like a dark room yet, and that's what I hope from the 2000NIT version. Its still washed out a bit, and I need a perfect screen to expose correctly on set.

We use ultra bright monitors on set like these 2200NIT and 2500NIT and its great. 1000NIT isn't there yet.
SmallHD UltraBright Monitors | Behind the Screens

Reactions: ghedgepath
Glad you're flying MavMount! The crystal sky adapter is on its way hopefully next week, and it's beautiful.

I think flying on set I've grown accustomed to flying like it's 'in a closet' dark. That's what the hoodman affords me. My video comparing ipad to crystal sky all is in the same hermosa beach CA on one of our sunny days last week, and I couldn't see the CS quite like a dark room yet, and that's what I hope from the 2000NIT version. Its still washed out a bit, and I need a perfect screen to expose correctly on set.

We use ultra bright monitors on set like these 2200NIT and 2500NIT and its great. 1000NIT isn't there yet.
SmallHD UltraBright Monitors | Behind the Screens

I agree. For precise work you will need the 2000NIT version. For casual flying the 1000NIT is great.

I agree. For precise work you will need the 2000NIT version. For casual flying the 1000NIT is great.
I just got word from hoodman they are making a hood for the crystal sky as well, and i can say, unfortunately the 1000 nit is not to where the ipad is with a full hood. i think the crystal sky hoods will sell too for people who want "darkroom" vision of their screen like I require.

Hi, I've some review on here about CrystalSky but wondering if anyone has had both the high brightness and ultra brightness units to compare side by side or to a mini iPad.
I'm deliberating over the two brightness versions as to whether there is a lot of noticeable difference between them and especially how they compare vs. the mini iPad which I now use on my Mavic. As everyone says, it is such a struggle In the sun to see with the glare.
I see that the price has dropped to $850 on the most expensive one and around $600 for the middle priced one.

What I'd really like to see is the iphone 7 plus (or other smartphones with similar brightness level), CS 5.5 High brightness, and CS 7.85 Ultra brightness, all side-by-side in bright sunlight. That way, I could justify purchasing (or NOT purchasing) another monitor. I'm currently using and iphone 7 plus or ipad air 2....and have been satisfied with both. But if either of the CS monitors are WORTH the extra cost, weight, and bulk...then I'll get one.

What I'd really like to see is the iphone 7 plus (or other smartphones with similar brightness level), CS 5.5 High brightness, and CS 7.85 Ultra brightness, all side-by-side in bright sunlight. That way, I could justify purchasing (or NOT purchasing) another monitor. I'm currently using and iphone 7 plus or ipad air 2....and have been satisfied with both. But if either of the CS monitors are WORTH the extra cost, weight, and bulk...then I'll get one.
You might try the galaxy s8 on full brightness, it is 1200 not, which is 200 not brighter than the currently released crystal sky.

You might try the galaxy s8 on full brightness, it is 1200 not, which is 200 not brighter than the currently released crystal sky.

I've read somewhere that it's full brightness is for a short duration due to heat. Same for note 8. Not good if I want to burn(fly) 4 batteries worth of flying time.

I'm still waiting for more reviews to come out. Maybe I should've added s8, s8+, and note 8 to the comparison I'm looking for.

DCB81FDD-886F-41B5-BF12-49B58CCB6148.jpeg
MavMount.com

Used my 7.8 normal brightness on the weekend and it is superior by far to the iPad Pro 12” I have been using . At one stage I wanted to disconnect from the ground station for a bit so plugged in my galaxy s8+ and was amazed at how inferior this was to the crystal sky. I was using the CS in sun and I’m very very impressed

Reactions: Ping^Spike
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute