DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CS 7.85” or new MA2 w/smart controller?

MadProphet

Reactions
I’ve got a MP now. Pretty happy with it but I’ve never been real satisfied with using my phone or iPad. Neither are bright enough for me.
I’m considering one of the two options listed in the title.
there’s some refurb CS UB 7.85” for $1k, plus another $200 for the Mount and charger - $1200 all in.
Or a new MA2 with the smart controller. I could sell my MP and get the new MA for less than the CS.
For those who might have used both, which would you consider? I don’t fly all that often - largely because of the screen I’m using - and I’d like to fly more. Is the 2” difference a big deal? Is the SmartController easier (and hopefully more reliable) than using the CS?
Obviously kinda torn.

Get the CS 7.85” hi brightness new for $749. The CS ultra bright is prone to over heat.... that’s why so many refurbs. I have been very happy with the high brightness. In the AZ sun I use a screen shade......
I use a PolarPro FlightDeck to mount.
Anyway.., you can save enough to get you well on your way to the MA2

Reactions: MadProphet
I’ve got a MP now. Pretty happy with it but I’ve never been real satisfied with using my phone or iPad. Neither are bright enough for me.
I’m considering one of the two options listed in the title.
there’s some refurb CS UB 7.85” for $1k, plus another $200 for the Mount and charger - $1200 all in.
Or a new MA2 with the smart controller. I could sell my MP and get the new MA for less than the CS.
For those who might have used both, which would you consider? I don’t fly all that often - largely because of the screen I’m using - and I’d like to fly more. Is the 2” difference a big deal? Is the SmartController easier (and hopefully more reliable) than using the CS?
Obviously kinda torn.

The issue with the Smart Controller is the smaller 5.5in screen size even though it's bright, you'll hate it coming from a 10-11in tablets.

The problem with the CS is that it's end of life (not well supported by DJI) as it has an aging 32bit infrastructure and won't run DJI Fly (requires 64bit) that is used with the MA2. I would not be buying a CS new or refurbished.
I would save the money and buy a hood until you upgrade to a newer model drone.

Some people are preferring the Tripletek tablet which is 64bit android and has a 1200nit screen.

I fly my M2P with a CS 7.5 and highly recommend it, the display is is clear and nice with a long battery life. I found mine on Ebay for a great price, it just makes flying much more fun.

Reactions: Thomas B
I fly a Mavic 2 pro with the 7.85 ultrabright crystal sky. The overheating problem was a there a few years ago but I returned one that over heated and DJI sent a new one that I have used for many months with no problem. I also have the smart controller and much prefer the CS for size and brightness.

Reactions: Thomas B
Reactions: careless
I have the Smart Controller for my M2P but I also bought the Feelworld 729S SUPER BRIGHT 2,200nit 7 inch monitor for when I want a really bright viewable screen. I bought mine as open box on ebay for $176 but they can be bought new for about $235.

They are light weight and connect via HDMI to the SC. I can mirror the SC screen or choose to have the Feelworld monitor display full screen, only what the camera is seeing and then have all the flight control info shown on my SC screen. No overheating problems, super bright and super low priced too. And you can use it as a monitor for your DSLR too or other video camera if you have one.

Nobody offers such a bright monitor for such a low price. It's the brightest monitor on the market.

Reactions: careless
There’s some good ideas here. I’m not familiar with either tablet mentioned, but will check both out. I’ve used my iPad several times even tho it’s not much brighter than the older iPhones (and not close to the 12pro). The iPad overheated in 75 degree weather and shut down. It wasn’t the best time for that to happen and I’ve been reluctant to use it since.
You’d think DJI would come up with a larger solution that integrates better, but I suppose they’re drone manufacturers and leave that to others. A SC in 7+” would be excellent.

There’s some good ideas here. I’m not familiar with either tablet mentioned, but will check both out. I’ve used my iPad several times even tho it’s not much brighter than the older iPhones (and not close to the 12pro). The iPad overheated in 75 degree weather and shut down. It wasn’t the best time for that to happen and I’ve been reluctant to use it since.
You’d think DJI would come up with a larger solution that integrates better, but I suppose they’re drone manufacturers and leave that to others. A SC in 7+” would be excellent.
There are no iPads that come close to the brightness of the optional monitors mentioned above, plus the times we need the super bright monitors is when the sun is out and that is the time that you will be getting the heat for many reading here and of course, that is when an iPad will fail on you, due to overheating. That is why, as nice as they may seem, an iPad is less of a good solution when you need a larger, brighter screen in hot weather.

Love my 7.85 CS. In Az sun everything needs a sunscreen.

save some bucks with the 7.85 high brightness version.

Get the CS 7.85” hi brightness new for $749. The CS ultra bright is prone to over heat.... that’s why so many refurbs. I have been very happy with the high brightness. In the AZ sun I use a screen shade......
I use a PolarPro FlightDeck to mount.
Anyway.., you can save enough to get you well on your way to the MA2
I've had my CS Ultra for over two years now but no problems with overheating. Like you I live in a hot place so I suppose they must have modified my version. The only complaint that I have is that it is 32 bit so I can't use it with my Mini 2 so I have bought a Tripltek tablet which is almost as bright.

Reactions: Little bird
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jarrodwp1