DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CSC, providing the appropriate response mode is selected e.g. "Anytime" for the MM, will it ALWAYS work whilst the drone is within control range?

• Thread starter Deleted member 103366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 103366

There have been a couple of threads where flyaways seem genuine, at least in so far as drone appears to have not been responding, for what ever reason, to commands from the controller.
Let's not get distracted by debating whether these are pilot error, or hardware failure or whatever but, for the purposes of this question, let's assume the drones concerned were truely not following to commands from the controller. I am not considering 'normal' blow aways in this, rather things like unstoppable climbs such as the recent one highlighted in a thread by Boblui.

Edited courtesy of Meta4
My question is. Assuming the drone is still within control range, if a drone is truely (maybe I should have written "apparently") not responding to commands will the CSC (with the appropriate response mode selected) over ride all other programming in the drone and shut down the motors?

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s anybody’s guess, but within your scenario, mine opinion is no, probably no more than an RTH would work. Of course it depends on what’s wrong with the command connection.

Another consideration is that to issue a CSC during flight is a serious commitment, for which the pilot has to overcome the “hope” of regaining control. Given the cost of drones, that’s going to be a pretty strong hope. Additionally, the current altitude, uncontrolled flight direction, the presence of people, and the general level of situation awareness and panic will have a role to play.

I just hope it doesn’t happen to me.

Last edited:
@PhiliusFoggg if the drone has indeed truely lost connection between itself and the RC then after a preset time it will go into the RTH mode and do whatever the setting was set at in the App for such an event ,in this case then no matter if the CSC was tried or not would not make any difference, as far as the drone is concerned it is not receiving any commands from the RC ,but of course if it was set to return to home in the event of disconnection to the RC ,then at some point it could reconnect and then the CSC should work and stop the motors

@PhiliusFoggg if the drone has indeed truely lost connection between itself and the RC then after a preset time it will go into the RTH mode and do whatever the setting was set at in the App for such an event ,in this case then no matter if the CSC was tried or not would not make any difference, as far as the drone is concerned it is not receiving any commands from the RC ,but of course if it was set to return to home in the event of disconnection to the RC ,then at some point it could reconnect and then the CSC should work and stop the motors
I agree with the RTH... I was assuming a worst case scenario where the AC totally lost its mind. Your scenario is better. ;)

Reactions: old man mavic
if a drone is truely not responding to commands will the CSC (with the appropriate response mode selected) over ride all other programming in the drone and shut down the motors?
You are asking:
If a drone is not responding to control inputs, will it respond to a control input.

But your question is too simplistic and doesn't consider the different reasons a pilot might think their drone isn't responding to control inputs (or if the drone really isn't responding to control inputs)..

You are asking:
If a drone is not responding to control inputs, will it respond to a control input.
No I am not.
Besides which you seem to have grasped my question and posed it yourself in your subsequent sentence.
"But your question is too simplistic and doesn't consider the different reasons a pilot might think their drone isn't responding to control inputs (or if the drone really isn't responding to control inputs).."

i.e. If, for instance the VPS was causing an unstoppable climb, as I have seen proposed, the drone may well be trying to follow 'throttle down/descend' commands from the controller but that attempt is being overridden by other software. As far as the pilot is concerned the drone is not responding to commands but those commands are simply being overridden by a system with more authority.
Why question amounts to, does the CSC in "anytime" mode have ultimate authority?

Whilst typing that it has just come to mind that this may well have been answered in a practical demostration in an unstoppable climb thread from a few months ago where the pilot eventually did a CSC and caused the drone to fall from 800+m, it landed in grass and survived. I will have to try and find the thread but it is proving difficult.

Ah OMM sorry, a misunderstanding perhaps, by "Assuming the drone is still within control range" I meant that control signals were being recieved by the drone and telemetry etc. was being recieved by the controller and passed to the screen device.

@RadioFlyerMan re "Another consideration is that to issue a CSC during flight is a serious commitment, for which the pilot has to overcome the “hope” of regaining control. Given the cost of drones.........."
Agreed but which is preferable, writing the drone off or having the drone fly into an area where it may endanger others? Aside from anything else, the cost of any civil suit for damage or injury would be far greater than the cost of any consumer drone.
I know what I would do ......and what I have done.
As a newbie P3 flyer I probably did something wrong and the P3 sped off at high speed and low level straight towards a busy road, I managed to put it into a stone wall between me/it and the road. I had no time to think with that one.
I also had a P3 blown away in a stupid flight. (I put it above the trees sheltering me at night) and the direction of 'drift' was over neighbours' houses, flat out it was still losing ground. I was just about to start it across the wind and ditch it in the sea when the wind presumably slackened and it was able to slowly gain ground, that was a panic situation as I had time to go "oh 'sugar'"

Last edited by a moderator:
No I am not.
You were.
You asked if the drone was not responding to commands, would it respond to a CSC command.

To go further into the issue you are pondering, you need to consider the circumstances of the incident as there are many different possibilities.
It's not possible to answer the question that you think you are asking.

The thread that came to mind

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest