DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Curious on what and how you use you color profiles and if you post edit? (All the time??)

Carl Thomas

Reactions
Hi all,

I am relatively new to drone flying, photography and video editing.

I absolutely love flying and always have. Since a few years now I have a benign brain tumor which has a significant impact on certain aspects of my life. It was at this moment I decided to finally look for a new hobby and got into drone flying.

As a member of the Mavic club I need not explain my aircraft. I have purchased almost every possible accessory and fly with a fly more combo a crystalsky monitor, polar Pro 2x 6 filters and always carry my drone around with me in my LowePro Dronegaurd BP250 with extra props etc. In other words I’m fully equipped.

I have done plenty of research of the Internet forums and YouTube and have configured my aircraft accordingly. I film and shoot in manual mood and check all presets before each flight. Until now I have always shot my images and video in 4K mov in D-Log but find the imagery “muddy” and very flat resulting in having to post correct everything. I am not much of an editor and have purchased FCPX (for Mac) bought Ground Control LUTs and plenty of MotionVFX Plugins but find it a major hassle to edit every single shot and footage. Which takes me hours to get the imagery to my liking (even the LUTs don’t look good to me).

Does everyone always shoot in D-Log and or Cinelike and if yes, do you always correct al imagery? Are the pilots out there who choose other Color Profiles such as Vivid or what ever other profiles there are and who are happy with those results and hardly work on their images (besides trimming or cropping)?

What software is there or would you recommend for a Mac OSX?

Today I got footage for approximately 12 minutes in d-log in 4K which ended up being about 40gb of data. Imported the mov files to FCPX and my library after post production (for that entry only) ended up being 150gb of data. My Mac is however limited to 250gb.

My flying skills are insane if I say so myself.

As mentioned before I have “brain damage” and have difficulty learning and focusing for a longer period of time. Flying is no issue and I able to shut myself of from the rest of the environment and focus on that task at hand.

Looking forward to any suggestions and what your experience is in profiles and if you always post edit.

Thanks in advance.

I hope so as well but up until now... not a lot of responses. How about you Motard? What do you use?

I'm very very far what we consider a Pro hehe. But ok, hehe, I shoot in AEB RAW with 5 pics, then I merge then with Lightroom to create a HDR, and tuning a little, depending the mood. :) I take raw+jpg simultaneously. For video I record in 4k 24fps, then depending on what I pretend to do, I downgrade then to full HD. It's pretty basic , but just to respond to you and expecting the arrive of the real Pros. :)

One of them.
91a206c8dba78937ded0f5d49fbdd422.jpg

12 minutes isn't 40gb :eek:
You must be doing some conversion to a supposedly loss free editing format.
This is hardly necessary unless you are a masochist.

D-Log is my favourite, you basically only need tweak contrast and saturation preferably using levels and curves.
The cinelike option is often closer to what you see but I find colours a bit strange and prefer to work with them individually from the flat start point in log
It's quite similar to working with gopro protune/flat/native I do quite a bit too.

I don't use manual mode though because it's too easy to under/over expose as you move.
Poor exposure messes up more mavic footage than anything else.
However white balance is usually just set on 7000 and adjusted later if need be.

Reactions: Carl Thomas
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots