DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Curious: RC-Pro vs Autel Smart Controller

moldorf

Reactions
I just saw that Autel makes a smart controller. It has a 7.9" screen generating 2000 nits, twice that of the RC-Pro

it also apparently weighs over 2 pounds (and costs the same).

has anybody used these for an Autel drone? If so, how does it compare to the RC-Pro?

It’s a brick! You’ll need a tray with a harness to support its weight. Hugely oversized device, with terrible signal strength! Complete opposite of the ergonomic RC Pro, which has 5x the signal strength of the stock RC-N1 controller. 2000 nits is only 1.4x brighter than 1000 nits. Any size external screen can also be hooked up to the RC Pro through the mini HDMI port, if you need or want larger.

It’s a brick! You’ll need a tray with a harness to support its weight. Hugely oversized device, with terrible signal strength! Complete opposite of the ergonomic RC Pro, which has 5x the signal strength of the stock RC-N1 controller. 2000 nits is only 1.4x brighter than 1000 nits. Any size external screen can also be hooked up to the RC Pro through the mini HDMI port, if you need or want larger.

I've seen you make this assertion about signal strength a few times. The 7dBm difference for FCC would seem to back you up but where can the actual mW transmit specs be found?.... In a perfect world this could double the range though it seems to really mean a 10-20% increase.

RC PRO: 2.4 GHz: ≤33 dBm (FCC); ≤20 dBm (CE/SRRC/MIC)
5.8 GHz: ≤33 dBm (FCC); ≤14 dBm (CE); ≤23 dBm (SRRC)

RC-N1: 2.400-2.4835 GHz:<26 dBm (FCC), <20 dBm (CE/SRRC/MIC) 5.725-5.850 GHz:<26 dBm (FCC), <23 dBm (SRRC), <14 dBm (CE)

I use the RC-N1 with a Tripltek 8" tablet even though I have owned the RC Pro. The screen for the RC Pro is just too small for my needs and my old eyes. Even though on paper, the Tripltek is just 200 nits brighter, I can tell you it is actually much easier to see in direct daylight.

The Autel Smart Controller has had many problems as you indicated....short range and plagued with troubles. The size and brightness of the screen are the biggest
attraction. If DJI released a controller with a similar screen for the Mavic 3, I would probably be first in line.

......RC Pro, which has 5x the signal strength of the stock RC-N1 controller. 2000 nits is only 1.4x brighter than 1000 nits. Any size external screen can also be hooked up to the RC Pro through the mini HDMI port, if you need or want larger.

and yet, there are several range tests between the RC-Pro and RC-N1 on youtube that show fairly insignificant differences. My hunch is that "5x the signal strength" statement I've seen you make a few times is kind of meaningless in the real world; maybe more of a mathematical rating that doesn't have any big impact on flying?

I just returned from a trip to the remote high desert of Eastern Oregon. Nobody but my wife and I for miles. I tested the range of the Mini 3 with the RC-N1 (and Tripltek) and had all 4 bars at 3 miles (when I RTH) and no transmission artifacts (home point was highest altitude). I know good and well I wouldn't have gone 15 miles at 4 bars with the RC-Pro (not to mention battery limitations)

Last edited:
My hunch is that "5x the signal strength" statement I've seen you make a few times is kind of meaningless in the real world; maybe more of a mathematical rating that doesn't have any big impact on flying?
The real help with increased signal strength is mostly better signal in areas that are challenging to keep a connection to the drone. Usually the higher power will have better penetration through things in the way like trees. It helps to keep the signal in areas where there is competing 2.4ghz/5.8ghz WIFI. As you pointed out.... the range in areas that are uninhibited is already more than enough for just about everyone with either the RC-N1 or the RC Pro, but there are are definitely advantages to more power.

Traded my Autel Evo II Pro for the M3. I did love the 2000 NIT screen on the Autel. Much prefer the Autel SCREEN.

The real help with increased signal strength is mostly better signal in areas that are challenging to keep a connection to the drone. Usually the higher power will have better penetration through things in the way like trees. It helps to keep the signal in areas where there is competing 2.4ghz/5.8ghz WIFI. As you pointed out.... the range in areas that are uninhibited is already more than enough for just about everyone with either the RC-N1 or the RC Pro, but there are are definitely advantages to more power.
Completely agree. The battery is the true limiter. Under ideal conditions, the RC-N1 can keep up with the RC Pro, but the extra signal strength of the RC Pro makes it more stable under all other conditions, much like the antenna signal boosters we used to have to add to the stock RC's to get the advertised range. However, those previous signal boosters were of little value, unless one also added a battery mod for external batteries, as you wouldn’t make it back at the added range!

I've seen you make this assertion about signal strength a few times. The 7dBm difference for FCC would seem to back you up but where can the actual mW transmit specs be found?.... In a perfect world this could double the range though it seems to really mean a 10-20% increase.

RC PRO: 2.4 GHz: ≤33 dBm (FCC); ≤20 dBm (CE/SRRC/MIC)
5.8 GHz: ≤33 dBm (FCC); ≤14 dBm (CE); ≤23 dBm (SRRC)

RC-N1: 2.400-2.4835 GHz:<26 dBm (FCC), <20 dBm (CE/SRRC/MIC) 5.725-5.850 GHz:<26 dBm (FCC), <23 dBm (SRRC), <14 dBm (CE)

I use the RC-N1 with a Tripltek 8" tablet even though I have owned the RC Pro. The screen for the RC Pro is just too small for my needs and my old eyes. Even though on paper, the Tripltek is just 200 nits brighter, I can tell you it is actually much easier to see in direct daylight.

The Autel Smart Controller has had many problems as you indicated....short range and plagued with troubles. The size and brightness of the screen are the biggest
attraction. If DJI released a controller with a similar screen for the Mavic 3, I would probably be first in line.
Someone else reposted this chart below a few days ago. I believe they either measured it themselves or compiled the list from other sources. I previously relied upon it, but my own experience shows a decent improvement in distance and reliability in my area, even if not measured with precision. In use, my guess would be up to a 25% improvement in distance, not 5x the distance, which the signal strength differences in mw might seem to imply. Biggest problem with the RC-N1 is the missing second gimbal elevation dial, no C1, no C2, no C3, and no 5 way button, which even the M2P controller came with. Side by side, the 1000 nit RC Pro at max brightness setting would look only marginally dimmer than the 1200 nit Tripltek. However, a 2000 nit 10” FeelWorld external monitor can be similarly mounted onto the RC Pro for under $400, using the mini HDMi output. I have one! Bigger is better (but heavier!)!

8223B03A-30E9-4A93-BFCE-C41CD47433A0.jpeg

Biggest problem with the RC-N1 is the missing second gimbal elevation dial, no C1, no C2, no C3, and no 5 way button, which even the M2P controller came with. Side by side, the 1000 nit RC Pro at max brightness setting would look only marginally dimmer than the 1200 nit Tripltek.
I would be lying if I told you that I didn't miss the second gimbal dial..... it does make life a lot easier. As for the RC Pro vs Tripltek Pro 8" screen brightness.... there is something going on other than a few nits. I have used both in the noonday sun on full. The RC Pro is barely readable compared to the still fairly bright Tripltek. I like to use screen hoods when in sun anyway so that could easily be overcome but the screen size is what makes the Tripltek invaluable to me.

Reactions: moldorf
I have a real world comparison.

A 12km each way flight- 5kms over land, 7kms over the ocean.

With the rcn1/Mavic 3, I had to ascend to 500m to maintain video and control- controller reported 1 or 0 bars of signal quality.

The same flight with the rc pro, I stayed at 80m until 10.00kms, then rose to 120m for the remainder. At no point did my signal strength go below yellow (2-3 bars I think that is)

Yes, irresponsible and illegal, etc, but I am in remote Australia and there’s no humans or aircraft in my airspace. If I lose a drone, or it fails, I’m the one who suffers, no one else will.

I would be lying if I told you that I didn't miss the second gimbal dial..... it does make life a lot easier. As for the RC Pro vs Tripltek Pro 8" screen brightness.... there is something going on other than a few nits. I have used both in the noonday sun on full. The RC Pro is barely readable compared to the still fairly bright Tripltek. I like to use screen hoods when in sun anyway so that could easily be overcome but the screen size is what makes the Tripltek invaluable to me.
Tripltek is a good unit, but the RC Pro second gimbal wheel is essential for video zoom to keep the subject centered in the frame. Adding a 10” FreeWorld 2000 nit display to the RC Pro, mounted above, just like the 8” Tripltek on the RC-N1, is the best of all worlds. Bigger, brighter, and includes the second gimbal wheel!

Tripltek is a good unit, but the RC Pro second gimbal wheel is essential for video zoom to keep the subject centered in the frame. Adding a 10” FreeWorld 2000 nit display to the RC Pro, mounted above, just like the 8” Tripltek on the RC-N1, is the best of all worlds. Bigger, brighter, and includes the second gimbal wheel!
I was curious, so I checked the price of that monitor....appears to be $350

so then, with the RC-Pro + monitor, that's $1550 which is $750 more than the TriplTek; I guess that's $670 more than the Tripltek + RC-N1 (if you don't already have an RC-N1). On the other hand, the tablet mounting brackets for the RC-Pro appear to be 50 dollars more expensive than those for the RC-N1

that's paying a premium for that gimbal wheel. Of course, you have the larger screen and 2000 nits of the monitor. On the other hand, you still would need to use some touch-screen controls located of the RC so you'd constantly have awkward focus transitions between the 2 monitors

don't get me wrong, as someone who uses a Tripltek I think most of the chatter about deployment time, weight, etc. is exaggeration, so the idea of a controller + tablet doesn't bother me. Also, if you're looking for an inexpensive hobby, droning isn't it

I'd wonder though, does that new $300 RC have that 2nd gimbal wheel? If it does, then RC + monitor is $950 cheaper than the RC-Pro combo

Are we comparing rc pro to the tripltek or the autel?
I was a big fan of the autel smart conttroller and i know that GG was equally unhappy with it. But that was on the autel platform. I previously used the tripltek but on purchasing the smart controller i shelved the tripletek for a while.
However, it is no where near as good as the RC Pro.
The brightness level is great on both. I loved the big screen on autel and didnt mind the weight at all. But autel is just not as “dialed in” as the Mav 3
I invested significantly in Evo2, live deck, smart controller and all the accessories, but within 12 months and the mavic 3 having its issues fixed, im back with DJI

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS