DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Current Law on Lithium Batteries on airplanes

Mymgb

Reactions
Are you supposed to check batteries in luggage now or carry on??

You can NEVER check removable batteries into luggage. It can only be brought as a carry on. You can carry an unlimited number of Lithium batteries not to exceed 100 Wh in you carry on, and depending on airlines, up to 2 spare power banks not to exceed 160 Wh.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Reactions: ZX14-R
Are you supposed to check batteries in luggage now or carry on??
No, always carry-on.

I've read a lot of forums, and watched a lot of YouTube videos.

I keep seeing people saying:
  1. You must have LiPo safety bags to carry on an airplane, and
  2. You must discharge to 25% or less
My experience is not extensive on this matter, but I did fly internationally recently with my Mavic Air and four batteries in a purpose made case (bought at DJI store) with foam slots for everything including the chargers.

I did discharge my batteries before every flight, however, no security personnel checked their charge level.

They were not in LiPo bags either, and no one batted an eye.

Now, exceptions happen of course, so this does not prove that nowhere will be different.

But for what it's worth, I had no issues to justify these two common reports.

Furthermore, reading carefully on several airlines web pages, I found no information to support those claims either. The only data on the issue of batteries is their capacity.

They are always vague about "how many" you can carry, usually just saying something like "a reasonable number", or some such.

I don't believe you actually need those bags, and neither are you required to discharge them. I do discharge them (by planned usage) just because I feel it is safer. But if you think about it, what's the point of a lithium battery on an airplane if it isn't charged, and thus able to power your phone, tablet, camera, etcetera?

So far, I've seen nothing distinguishing between a Lithium Ion and a Lithium Polymer battery as far as airlines are concerned.

YMMV.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929