DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Current Mini 2 owners ONLY

Since you opened this thread, then vote...

• I am a Current Mini 2 OWNER and I read this topic.

• I do NOT own a Mini 2 but i read this topic.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think most Mini 2 lovers are going to Opt for the Mini 3 now that there shipping and in stock.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain, Land on the water.
probably, but I will wait another few months for all the bugs to be fumigated

I'd be more tempted by the Air2s if it wasn't for the plus batteries for the Mini3. That extra flight time is pretty attractive

the $2900 price tag for the Mavic 3 is too steep for me

Mini 2 does everything that i need it to do..The only thing that i find enticing about the Mini 3 is the new RC

If they made the RC compatible with the Mini 2 i would snap it up in a heartbeat!
understandable

I might think that way if I hadn't bought the Tripltek Pro 8. I actually had an opportunity to compare the Tripltek side-by-side with that RC on a sunny day. Honestly, it wasn't much of a comparison. The Tripltek was very viewable, the RC was not. But 1200 nits is at a big advantage over 700 nits

Reactions: Jam0ne
Now that I've read your "Article" I guess I'll add my two-cents. I am a current Mini 2 caretaker (you can never really "own" a Mini 2) and I've written how s/he comes to "life" when you power your Mini 2 on; watching the Gimbal go through its self-check is almost like watching a kitten or puppy opening its eyes for the first time… So you can probably say that I've amorphized my Mini into a living, breathing thing… And yes, he has a name. When my first Mini 2 was "taken" from me (she was taken out by a heartless tree branch) and I received this replacement from DJI, I told my wife I did not know what to name it, and my wife said, "it's a he" and she gave him his name…

So, you can see I'm a bit prejudiced and I think that the Mini 2 has the nicest, cleanest lines of all Drones, everywhere… There is another survey asking if you would buy a US made Drone of equal quality and I think all of the US Drones look like flying Bricks; square, boxy and about as aerodynamic as a Flying Trashcan… I will not even address the firmware sophistication.

Also, so many of our brethren flyers are jumping into the Mini 3, It may be faster, it may be more sophisticated, and it may have so much better optics, but it is one ugly bird… All the "more this or more that" don't change the fact that not even a "mother" could love that much ugly…

ugly.png

I have owned my two mini2s since December 2020 and to date have 125 flights on each. I have never had an issue with either one. I live in the desert (Carson City, NV) and frequently fly out to distances of 10,000 feet. Yeah, I know, shame on me for exceeding VLOS, but where I fly there are no structures or people in the vicinity. Have never had a problem with signal loss because I'm running Fly app 1.5.10 and v1.02.0300 firmware. If I feel like running a firmware refresh, I can do so by logging on to an older version of Assistant 2 (2.1.8) I have 5 batteries at 50 charges each and I wonder how long they will keep perfoming like new? The mini 2 does everything I want it to; if it didn't I'd buy the Mini 3 pro.

This is for CURRENT Mini2 Owners ONLY.

NOT
PAST owners

What will your NEXT purchase (likely) be ?

and Why .....
The next purchase is probably the Avada because maybe Dji knows how to build a FPV drone that doesn’t fall apart constantly. Mini2 is a keeper it’s great for urban flying where there is the potential of being over somebody

Last edited:
Reactions: scoble08
I’m not quite as passionate as loudthunder about my mini2, but I am very fond of her. Took her for a run the other day and tried her out using DH, she performed flawlessly in some strong winds I might add. I passed my first mini on to my granddaughter, she will be waiting awhile before she gets her hands on the mini 2.
I am looking for a new work drone but will wait to see what happens in the second half of the year. Will the Mavic 3 SDK be released and will it perform doing mapping projects. Are they going to release an I3, will it use the same batteries as the I2. Questions questions questions, no answers yet, will have to wait and see.
Regards

Reactions: LoudThunder
probably, but I will wait another few months for all the bugs to be fumigated

I'd be more tempted by the Air2s if it wasn't for the plus batteries for the Mini3. That extra flight time is pretty attractive

the $2900 price tag for the Mavic 3 is too steep for me
I owned both an Air 2S and a Mini 2…both great drones. I sold the Air 2S and purchased the Mini 3 Pro with the Air 2S sales money.

Why the Mini 3 Pro? Size, portability, camera capabilities, the new RC, the Plus battery, flight dynamics, less flying regulations, OAS,… pretty well all the same characteristics of the Air 2S but, leaner.

I’m now happy owning both the Mini 2 and the Mini 3 Pro. As far as going through the “teething” stage with the Mini 3 Pro I actually enjoy being involved with the development… you learn lots and the big majority of crash and burns are due to pilot error.

I’m at that turning point where one doesn’t buy green bananas. I want to get my foot in the door right away and not waste time waffling over radar versus map or the 5.4 k versus 4K. Hell, I’m just happy that both my cataract surgeries were a success. 😄

Mini 2 definitely the best starter drone. Mini 3 Pro, the latter, except, with all the dressings. Again, I’ve said it a million times. This drone technology is fantastic if you can afford to be involved…I want to be involved…now.

🍌🍌 🍌

NOT
PAST owners

and Why ....

NOT
PAST owners

and Why .....

NOT
PAST owners

and Why .....
Have an Air2 and Mini2 and enjoying them both. It will be a while before I even think of purchasing anything else. No telling what will be on the market when I’m ready to upgrade.

Probably the mini 3, it’s the next generation mini which is great for flights in built up areas..

I also have Mavic 2 zoom, not sure what that will be replaced with as I use waypoints a lot for some stuff and don’t want virtual sticks but proper uploaded flights.

Reactions: Jam0ne

NOT
PAST owners

and Why .....
My "step-up" drone from the Mini-2 (I have three of them, flew one yesterday), was the DJI FPV. The FPV is partially a step-up from the Mini-2, but it's more of a step into another dimension. If the Mini-2 is like a C-172, the FPV is like an F-16.

I bought the FPV because from my very early days of droning, a bit more than a year ago, what I really wanted was the fully immersive FPV experience. The FPV fully met my expectations in that regard.

The massive power and maneuverability increases were sort of just a bonus, although having experienced them now, I'd never give them up! But if I'd been able to get a fully immersive FPV experience...the feeling of being on the aircraft...with a Mini-2, I'd have been quite happy with that.

My next drone...which I'll get when the millenium comes, and I have money again...will be the Mini-3.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929